Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wine > Extra Hard Lemonade

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2012, 05:38 AM   #221
ErinRae
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I started a cranberry hard lemonade about a month ago and it is still bubbling away!! The longest ferment ever! My gravity started at 1.07 and is only at 1.025....anyone else experience long fermentation time???

Daydreaming about......raspberry vanilla, wildberry mead
Brewing & Aging: Wildflower mead, Betrayal: A Stark Raving Cherry Mead
Bottled: sweet blueberry melomel, sparkling Cranberry/Blackberry melomel, fb apple cyser, wine, wine and more wine!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2012, 11:51 AM   #222
brazedowl
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I am also, but it's with my grape-concentrate wine. Creeping down from 1.09 to 1.035 since the end of July. Crazy slow bubbling.

In Progress: Ginger Spiced Cider
Bottled: oodles and oodles

"What senses do we lack that we cannot see or hear another world all around us?"

Old 11-03-2012, 08:12 PM   #223
jajao44
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Just made this I wanted to keep it around 9-10%abv though. I did

5-6lbs sugar
6 can lemon concentrate
2 cans limeade concentrate (less tart my taste)

I used the same yeast and I rehydrated it so hopefully I won't have fermentation issues. Same amounts for energizer and nutrient. I got 1.080 which should come out where I'd like it. Not sure if I'll back sweeten or not I think I'll just have to see how it comes out. I still have a can of lemon and lime concentrate so I think I'll just use those if I do.

Old 11-04-2012, 10:20 PM   #224
slugdoug
Recipes 

I just made my third batch of this and have the highest O.G. yet, it came out at 1.152 and I followed the same original recipe that is listed. Not that I'm worried but what would cause such a high O.G.? The second highest that I had was still high at 1.12 but this is much higher. My family can't get enough of this stuff, I don't drink it but everyone else does and now I had to order another carboy to accommodate it.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:50 PM   #225
jajao44
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Did you use the same amounts of water, concentrate, sugar, were the temperatures pretty close when you took readings?

What were some of your OG and FGs? Just wondering I was worried what the OP recipe would come out like. I'm guessing mine would come out dry but I think I'll just backsweeten if it does.

Also I'm having problems getting my fermentation to start I even put 2 more packets in last night after rehydrating them and still no fermentation this morning. I have two more I think I'll try to make a big starter if its still not going tomorrow morning.

Old 11-06-2012, 01:28 PM   #226
jajao44
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I opened the lid on my bucket last night and it was definitely fermenting there was a layer of bubbles and lots of fizzing. I took a cup out for a starter but I'm thinking I might let it go and just start a new batch with my starter. I still don't see the airlock bubbling though. I gave it a good stir and added my energizer and nutrient. I think I'll take a reading and do it again this weekend.

Old 12-01-2012, 03:18 PM   #227
rialaigh
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I started a batch of this 3 or 4 days ago and its only bubbling like 1 time every 30 seconds through the airlock, I added extra lemon juice for flavor and I think I may have just thrown the PH way off. I guess it will just be really slow going..

Old 12-09-2012, 01:06 AM   #228
slugdoug
Recipes 

One bubble every thirty seconds is really not all that slow for this stuff and if you have any activity the yeast is doing its job so just let it be. I never get the activity that I would get with beer but I have made about ten batches and all have turned out great.

Old 12-10-2012, 10:46 PM   #229
rialaigh
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I added a little extra lemon juice like I said before and now its not bubbling at all, maybe 1 time everyone 5-10 minutes...bleh....Ima leave it but it sure looks knarly right now

Old 12-10-2012, 10:47 PM   #230
ErinRae
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

My batch has been fermenting for about 3 months almost. The other day I tested the gravity and it was at 1.000.,,almost there!! I tasted it and it was great but I noticed that it had kind of carbonated itself. Since it's still in the carboy I decided it needed a stir to get the extra CO2 out. HOLY COW is all I have to say!! There was an explosion of liquid that came out the top. I probably lost at least 2 litres...all over the floor. The funny thing is that because of all the lost liquid there was a ton of headspace again. So i've added another can of cranberry/water and topped it off. One day my hard cranberry lemonade will stop fermenting

Daydreaming about......raspberry vanilla, wildberry mead
Brewing & Aging: Wildflower mead, Betrayal: A Stark Raving Cherry Mead
Bottled: sweet blueberry melomel, sparkling Cranberry/Blackberry melomel, fb apple cyser, wine, wine and more wine!

Quick Reply