Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wine > Dandelion Wine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2011, 02:45 AM   #61
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4472 Times on 3254 Posts
Likes Given: 870

Quote:
Originally Posted by guscampag View Post
Thanks again for the wonderful Dandylion wine recipe. I made it a couple of years ago and it ended up being everyone's favorite wine (and most potent, I mioght add). Of course, the two may be related?
I didn't make it last year, because I really was still not sure if it would be any good. It really took about a year and a half to get good!
Any way, please refresh my memory re: the lemons and oranges (I'm making a 5 gallon batch.
Do you add the fruit as well as the peels? or just the peels without the pith?
Also, when I boil, am I boiling the whole 5 gal of water?
Thanks!!!!!
I used the zest, and then just the fruit pulp and juice (not the bitter white pith stuff). I don't boil the whole 5 gallons- just enough to dissolve the sugar for when I add it, if I'm making more than about 3 gallons of wine. My favorite pot holds less than 5 gallons .

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2011, 12:46 AM   #62
dougdecinces
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Yoop, I suck. I left the wine on the petals and citrus for a week before racking. I thought that's what the recipe said. Any idea what this will do to the finished product?

Old 05-02-2011, 01:08 AM   #63
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougdecinces View Post
Yoop, I suck. I left the wine on the petals and citrus for a week before racking. I thought that's what the recipe said. Any idea what this will do to the finished product?
Not really, as I've never done it but you may have some bitterness from doing that. It also might be perfectly fine, so don't worry about it until it ages a bit- aging can smooth out many flavors in wine.

Old 05-02-2011, 02:11 PM   #64
Josh
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

do you treat/sanitize the raisins before dumping them in? (I'm just now boiling the petals/zest...so I have a few days)

Old 05-02-2011, 02:24 PM   #65
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh View Post
do you treat/sanitize the raisins before dumping them in? (I'm just now boiling the petals/zest...so I have a few days)
Nope! I just try to chop them a bit- which is a huge pain because they are sticky little buggers!

Old 05-02-2011, 05:25 PM   #66
Josh
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Nope! I just try to chop them a bit- which is a huge pain because they are sticky little buggers!
awesome - thanks yooper! just a short 12 months and I'll be good to go! haha

...I'll probably be kicking myself a year from now for only making a gallon batch.

Old 05-02-2011, 07:43 PM   #67
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh View Post
awesome - thanks yooper! just a short 12 months and I'll be good to go! haha

...I'll probably be kicking myself a year from now for only making a gallon batch.
Dandelion wine is fantastic! It's bright and tastes like liquid sunshine. I know that sounds crazy, but once you sample it you'll say, "Oh! That's what she meant by 'liquid sunshine'!"

It's a little fruity, but not exceedingly so. It's good dry as a table wine (I'm a fan of dry wines, both whites and reds) but it makes a very nice sweetened wine as well. I've had it at .990, 1.000, and 1.010, and it's good at all of those! It's not quite as crisp and tart as a sauvignon blanc, but not as fruity as a pinot grigio, and could maybe pass as a good grape wine between those wines. It's unique, and fabulous!

Old 05-03-2011, 01:42 AM   #68
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 461 Times on 367 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Picked a bunch of dandelions yesterday, but only got half of them picked of petals. And then forgot to put the petals in the freezer. :P They all sat out all night and all day today.

Old 05-13-2011, 09:57 PM   #69
deb_rn
Recipes 

It's really easier and less time consuming to process them right in the field. Pick, grab and twist the yellow, toss the stem and green over your back. They tend to close up once picked and take forever once you get in the house later on. I pick an ice cream bucket 1/2 full of yellow fluff... go in and get them in a zip lock back...squeeze out the air and get it in the freezer. In another hour, I bring the next batch in and do the same. Keep them fresh. They will start to mold real soon if not cooled and stored properly, and you run the risk of ruining the batch. I have 6 gal from last year aging. I'll probably bottle some time this month. I rather enjoyed those early days of sunshine. To make it easier on your back... sit on the ground with your legs in a "V" in front of you. Pick what you can reach around you... then just skooch forward or sideways and pick another patch. When that gets tiring, kneel on one knee and do the same... just don't keep getting up and down, that is hard on my tired, old back. When you get tired of that position, stand up and pick bending over for a while, like picking strawberries. By then, it's time to get them in the house and get a drink of water. By picking and bringing them in the house to destem later, you have to handle the flowers twice, and it takes longer. When you get a rhythm going... you can deflower them in 3 pulls and just toss the stem over your shoulder.

Good Luck!

Debbie

Old 05-21-2011, 01:20 AM   #70
dougdecinces
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 9

One more question:

I see the recipe says to bottle-age. I am wondering if it would be possible/better to bulk age? I started mine in April and want to have it ready by Christmas. I don't see why I can't keep the wine in my carboy for six more months and then bottle it. But you might know something I don't know.

Quick Reply