Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wine > Dandelion Wine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2009, 05:00 AM   #21
KatoBaggins
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I have a gallon batch going now. I used a half gallon of organic white grape juice instead of sugar.

I took a little taste the other day and it was really delicious. I'm hoping that it stays that way.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2009, 12:24 AM   #22
Kitchi Gumee
Recipes 

For all those who've made this wine, what kind of OG/FG did you come out with?

I have followed the recipe dead nuts so far and somehow I got an OG around 1.130...seems quite high, unless this is supposed to be a much sweeter wine than I had expected.

Old 05-10-2009, 01:00 AM   #23
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4626 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 908

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchi Gumee View Post
For all those who've made this wine, what kind of OG/FG did you come out with?

I have followed the recipe dead nuts so far and somehow I got an OG around 1.130...seems quite high, unless this is supposed to be a much sweeter wine than I had expected.
I usually make it to a SG of about 1.095-1.110 or so. It finishes dry- at .990-.996. You can add a little water if you want, to bring it down a little. Or use water to top up when you rack.

Old 05-17-2009, 03:50 AM   #24
Kitchi Gumee
Recipes 

Thanks alot! I think I'll have to toss a little extra water in when I top up, so that should help the Alcohol % be in the "reasonable" range.

Go Wings! Khabibulin is gonna have to use his AARP card to block shots if Hossa/Datsyuk come alive this series.

Old 06-11-2009, 10:50 PM   #25
vilehelm
Recipes 

hello.

i made a batch of dandelion wine recently--just finished bottling it, in fact. this is my first time making something like this at home, and I would like to ask a few questions if no one minds.

I followed a vague recipe from motherEarthNews.com Basically I'm just concerned that I may be doing something potentially dangerous, as I feel like a lot could go wrong if I improvise too much. These are the steps I took:

""""put the liquid into a big pot and add:

3 lbs. sugar
3 or 4 lemons, juice, skin, seeds, etc., all chopped up.
3 or 4 oranges, chopped

Boil mixture for 30 minutes with top on pot, cool to lukewarm, pour into crock and add 1 1/2 or 2 packages or tablespoons of yeast. Cover with cheesecloth and let brew sit for two or three weeks 'til the bubbling stops and — whammy!""""

I bottled it in old wine bottles that I attempted to sterilize by filling them with boiling water and letting them sit for a bit. They are the kind with the metal push clasp.

It smells alcoholic yet sweet, and has a yellow cloudiness to it. I can already see the sediment settling. Does this sound safe? I'll be okay if it doesn't taste so great, but any tips for future batches are greatly appreciated. How long should I let it sit in the bottles, assuming it's drinkable?

Last edited by vilehelm; 06-11-2009 at 11:27 PM.

Old 06-11-2009, 11:55 PM   #26
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilehelm View Post
hello.

i made a batch of dandelion wine recently--just finished bottling it, in fact. this is my first time making something like this at home, and I would like to ask a few questions if no one minds.

I followed a vague recipe from motherEarthNews.com Basically I'm just concerned that I may be doing something potentially dangerous, as I feel like a lot could go wrong if I improvise too much. These are the steps I took:

""""put the liquid into a big pot and add:

3 lbs. sugar
3 or 4 lemons, juice, skin, seeds, etc., all chopped up.
3 or 4 oranges, chopped

Boil mixture for 30 minutes with top on pot, cool to lukewarm, pour into crock and add 1 1/2 or 2 packages or tablespoons of yeast. Cover with cheesecloth and let brew sit for two or three weeks 'til the bubbling stops and — whammy!""""

I bottled it in old wine bottles that I attempted to sterilize by filling them with boiling water and letting them sit for a bit. They are the kind with the metal push clasp.

It smells alcoholic yet sweet, and has a yellow cloudiness to it. I can already see the sediment settling. Does this sound safe? I'll be okay if it doesn't taste so great, but any tips for future batches are greatly appreciated. How long should I let it sit in the bottles, assuming it's drinkable?

Well, it'll be safe in that it won't hurt you to drink it. The only danger will be if it's not done fermenting when you bottle it. If that's the case, and it continues fermenting in the bottle, you could have bottle bombs.

Maybe in a week, open one and see how it is. If you have a big "whoosh" of air, or it's still bubbling, open them all and put them back in the carboy or bucket (gently, as to not splash. Aerating will ruin the wine.).

Dandelions throw a lot of lees (sediment) so I've never bottled before a year. There seems to always be sediment still falling. That said, I've never bottled a cloudy wine. All of the sediment will eventually fall out, and I'd rather have that in my carboy than in my bottled wine.

I didn't see the article in mother earth news, but I'm sure that if you followed the techniques concerning sanitation you should be ok that way.

Old 06-15-2009, 11:49 AM   #27
doubleb
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I think I'm gonna try this. It'll be my first wine and I don't know anything about wine. I'll let you know in a year or so how it went. BTW this is a seasonal drink as the flowers are only here in spring so I better do it quickly. Thanks Yooperbrew.

Kegged:Brown Ale
Bottled:

Old 06-15-2009, 11:59 AM   #28
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleb View Post
I think I'm gonna try this. It'll be my first wine and I don't know anything about wine. I'll let you know in a year or so how it went. BTW this is a seasonal drink as the flowers are only here in spring so I better do it quickly. Thanks Yooperbrew.
Good luck!

This is a nice wine, and I think you'll like it.

Old 06-18-2009, 07:01 PM   #29
Daddymem
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Anyone know if you can use both dandelions and false dandelions in the same batch? I have tons of the catsear around here but not so many dandelions this year.

Catsear - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't have "hobbies", I'm developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set.

Little House On the Sand Pit on Wordpress
Two If By Sea Brewing (2XC) on Facebook
Facebook BIAB Group
Facebook Southcoast Homebrewers Association
SCHBAMA@gmail.com
Partigyles Gone Wild on Basic Brewing Radio <-Hey, that's me!

Old 08-10-2009, 10:04 PM   #30
Daddymem
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Bueller, bueller?

I don't have "hobbies", I'm developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set.

Little House On the Sand Pit on Wordpress
Two If By Sea Brewing (2XC) on Facebook
Facebook BIAB Group
Facebook Southcoast Homebrewers Association
SCHBAMA@gmail.com
Partigyles Gone Wild on Basic Brewing Radio <-Hey, that's me!

Quick Reply