Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wine > Dandelion Wine

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2009, 04:14 AM   #11
Battery_BreweryNJ
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Battery_BreweryNJ's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: "Right Near The Beach", NJ
Posts: 471
Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default


Made this last week...

Bubbling away

__________________
Watts Brewing Co.
NJ


Fermenting: ESB

Drinking: Feelin' Witty(DH w/ Citra)

Watts Brewing Blog
Battery_BreweryNJ is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2009, 04:21 AM   #12
eschatz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
eschatz's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Terre Haute, IN
Posts: 3,466
Liked 30 Times on 17 Posts

Default


My dad used to make Dandelion Wine back in the day. That was some of my first wine that I ever had.

My dad never make conventional styles. It's always Elderberry, Dandelion, Mango, Peach, etc........

__________________
play the bass, brew the beer

What's tappening? :D
eschatz is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2009, 08:52 PM   #13
bsaxe
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Portland OR
Posts: 3
Default


I just started a 4 gal batch of dandelion wine.

I accidentally let the dandelions steep for a couple more days then I was supposed to. They now have a slight crayon/sulfur smell to them.

I started the primary fermentation anyway, and was wondering if this smell will ever go away? I'm a noob, so any suggestions would greatly help.

__________________
bsaxe is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2009, 04:22 AM   #14
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 62,241
Liked 4777 Times on 3472 Posts
Likes Given: 950

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by bsaxe View Post
I just started a 4 gal batch of dandelion wine.

I accidentally let the dandelions steep for a couple more days then I was supposed to. They now have a slight crayon/sulfur smell to them.

I started the primary fermentation anyway, and was wondering if this smell will ever go away? I'm a noob, so any suggestions would greatly help.
I honestly don't know. Hopefully it will get better, but I haven't ever let them steep longer than instructed so I don't know.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006
Yooper is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2009, 11:43 PM   #15
Kitchi Gumee
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Upper Peninsula
Posts: 37
Default


I just finished picking and now I'm ready to roll with the first steps but I have a few questions...

Do I need to chop up the golden raisins when I toss 'em in? I've made a couple different batches of country wine but I've never given them body with raisins before so I'm a little unclear here.

Also, when you measure your dandelion petal amount, do you pack them down, fluff them up, or somewhere in between? Because I can get some pretty radical differences based on how tight they are packed. Also I don't have a scale to just measure them.

Thanks!

__________________
Kitchi Gumee is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2009, 03:49 AM   #16
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 62,241
Liked 4777 Times on 3472 Posts
Likes Given: 950

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchi Gumee View Post
I just finished picking and now I'm ready to roll with the first steps but I have a few questions...

Do I need to chop up the golden raisins when I toss 'em in? I've made a couple different batches of country wine but I've never given them body with raisins before so I'm a little unclear here.

Also, when you measure your dandelion petal amount, do you pack them down, fluff them up, or somewhere in between? Because I can get some pretty radical differences based on how tight they are packed. Also I don't have a scale to just measure them.

Thanks!
Dandelions? Are you kidding me?! You're not that far from me, and I haven't seen a dandelion or even a hint of one yet!

You should chop up the raisins, but it's a pain because they're sticky. Just stick with it, and it'll be fine.

I like to weigh the petals- I think I used about 270 grams per gallon. I froze them, so I thought they would be really packed down if I just put them in a quart container. Without a scale, you could just loosely put them in a quart, and call that a good estimate.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006
Yooper is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2009, 11:09 PM   #17
Kitchi Gumee
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Upper Peninsula
Posts: 37
Default


Hahahahahaha, I should have mentioned that I picked the dandelions this past weekend while visiting folks down in Lansing...It was full on damn near summer down there. Crazy. I wanted to get a jump on the summer wine season and I was really itching to try dandelion this year so I ended up picking about 3qt and freezing them for the ride up. So much for patience being a virtue.

__________________
Kitchi Gumee is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2009, 12:30 AM   #18
Kitchi Gumee
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Upper Peninsula
Posts: 37
Default


I just finished the hour long boiling stage and I have to say that the orange and lemon peel along with the dandelion petals gave this a very "Frooty Pebbles" vibe in a good way...Kind of like what the people at Frooty Pebbles imagine Frooty Pebbles smells like so they can sleep at night. I can see how this wine can be a siren.

__________________
Kitchi Gumee is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2009, 01:04 AM   #19
summersolstice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Central Nebraska, USA
Posts: 1,515
Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts

Default


My hat's off to anyone with the patience to pick all those little yellow petals and get enough to actually make a wine. As my wife is fond of telling me, "Sweetheart, you have no paciencia!" What an understatement!

__________________
summersolstice is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2009, 02:33 AM   #20
Battery_BreweryNJ
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Battery_BreweryNJ's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: "Right Near The Beach", NJ
Posts: 471
Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchi Gumee View Post
I just finished the hour long boiling stage and I have to say that the orange and lemon peel along with the dandelion petals gave this a very "Frooty Pebbles" vibe in a good way...Kind of like what the people at Frooty Pebbles imagine Frooty Pebbles smells like so they can sleep at night. I can see how this wine can be a siren.
Thats exactly what I was thinking when I did my boil!
__________________
Watts Brewing Co.
NJ


Fermenting: ESB

Drinking: Feelin' Witty(DH w/ Citra)

Watts Brewing Blog
Battery_BreweryNJ is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dandelion Wine Help please papagran40 Wine Making Forum 9 04-15-2014 06:52 PM
dandelion wine SkylerChaBro Wine Making Forum 31 10-01-2009 03:11 PM
Dandelion Wine SegmentedMonkey Wine Making Forum 3 05-25-2009 07:29 PM
Problem with Dandelion Wine?? KiRbY29869 Wine Making Forum 9 06-18-2008 02:14 AM
HELP-Dandelion wine delemma SAS98M Wine Making Forum 5 05-16-2007 09:27 PM



Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS