Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wine > Crabapple Wine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2012, 01:20 AM   #71
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4341 Times on 3157 Posts
Likes Given: 845

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucktech View Post
I've run into another speed bump with the apple wine. I initially split a 2 gallon batch into two 1 gallon jugs, and added honey to one. I did leave my the sweetened apple wine alone like you said, and it is now happily fermenting again. It has also cleared up really well, like glass. However my jug of unsweetened apple wine has stopped fermenting and is still quite cloudy. What can I do to help it along and get it to clear as well as the other jug that I added honey to? There is not a large amount of lees drop in the bottom of the jug if that means anything nor has the airlock been active in weeks(its a 3 piece and it hasn't risen up that I've notice).
Is it done fermenting, and at FG? If it is, you can put it someplace cool and it should drop clear.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 02:31 AM   #72
Nwa-brewing
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Mines clear but still bubbling! :-/

Old 11-29-2012, 06:37 PM   #73
zipmont
Recipes 

My crabapple cysers this year dropped brilliantly clear even at 70 degrees. And they did so relatively quickly, within a week or two of finishing fermenting.

However, back sweetening with honey tends to cloud things up again, for me anyway. I have been back sweetening with raw blackberry blossom honey that reasonably clear, but not nearly as clear as the cyser, so it clouds things up noticeably.

You can use the ambient temperature of the garage to chill the freshly racked, back sweetened cyser. If that doesn't work, or if it seems too slow, you're in a perfect position, having chilled it, to throw some bentonite at it, which often produces results overnight.

Best of luck.

Old 12-01-2012, 02:25 PM   #74
Nwa-brewing
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I had back sweetened mine with honey, let it ferment out, then sweetened a little more once again with honey though it's been about 3 weeks it's clear some leas is still dropping and i wracked it again, and it's still fermenting... Is that normal or will i end up with rocket fuel?? Just used monchatrachet yeast

Old 12-01-2012, 07:49 PM   #75
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwa-brewing View Post
I had back sweetened mine with honey, let it ferment out, then sweetened a little more once again with honey though it's been about 3 weeks it's clear some leas is still dropping and i wracked it again, and it's still fermenting... Is that normal or will i end up with rocket fuel?? Just used monchatrachet yeast
It probably isn't really fermenting, or at least not much. What is the current SG?

Old 12-01-2012, 08:25 PM   #76
Nwa-brewing
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

i will have to check that when i get home, if it's not really a true fermentation could that be off gassing?

Old 12-01-2012, 08:53 PM   #77
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwa-brewing View Post
i will have to check that when i get home, if it's not really a true fermentation could that be off gassing?
Yes, especially if you've had a change in the weather lately.

Old 12-01-2012, 11:01 PM   #78
Nwa-brewing
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post

Yes, especially if you've had a change in the weather lately.
That we have had! Never would have thought of changes in the air pressure affecting that.

Old 12-02-2012, 01:01 PM   #79
Nwa-brewing
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Just checked the SG 1.004, it's the second time i back sweetened without sorbate or anything hoping the alcohol content would stop the fermentation. It's clear but still dropping some leas.... That aside i may have sampled some.... Amazing

Old 12-15-2012, 08:01 PM   #80
dougdecinces
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 7

FYI, I tried this mulled for the first time and it was amazing. I brought to my homebrewers club meeting to rave reviews. It's the perfect tonic for these cold winter days.

I took 1 quart of the wine and added 1/4 c brown sugar, 2 cinnamon sticks, 1 t of nutmeg, a thin slice of ginger, and a couple cloves and allspice berries. I let it heat to a boil and then transferred it to a crock pot for serving to make sure it stayed hot. Delicious!

Quick Reply