Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wine > Crabapple Wine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2012, 09:58 PM   #61
Nwa-brewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougdecinces

I did 5 gallons of this last year. I was able to fit about 25 lbs of apples in a 6 gallon bucket. I fermented just the apples and then topped off with invert sugar and honey. I'll get out my notes when I get home, but I definitely ended up with less than 5 gallons and had had to top off.

This is a very good wine. Crisp, dry and slightly fruity. I wholeheartedly recommend making as much of it as possible.
Ok awesome please let me know!

And excuse my ignorance, invert sugar?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2012, 11:31 PM   #62
tokerlund
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

The carbon apples I have were all fallen fruit. I was about 3 days late to pick them. I cleaned and sorted them but I know many were bruised. I'm not sure about how edible they are due to being crab apples. I plan to follow a jack Keller recipe. How important is Pectic Enzyme and Yeast Nutriment? The store was all out!

Old 10-04-2012, 01:49 AM   #63
Nwa-brewing
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Did you use 15 pounds of sugar / honey?

Old 10-04-2012, 03:37 PM   #64
dougdecinces
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwa-brewing View Post
Ok awesome please let me know!

And excuse my ignorance, invert sugar?
Sorry. I didn't see this when I got home. I'm at work again. I'll answer your first question then.

As for the invert sugar, you make syrup with a 2:1 water:sugar and add 1/4 t citric acid per pound of sugar. You let it boil until it gets to be about 235 degrees (15-20 minutes will do the trick). The citric acid breaks the sucrose down into its glucose and fructose monomers which is supposed to be easier for the yeast to break down.

I make all my wines with invert sugar and ale yeast. They finish around 10-12% ABV and most are ready to drink within a few months. I'm impatient.

The good thing about this recipe is you can choose to keep boiling it down and you'll eventually make candi sugar. It's super easy to do and sure as hell beats spending an arm and a leg on it at the LHBS.

I made this wine last September with invert sugar, racked it three times until it was clear, and was drinking it in January. OG was about 1.090 and FG was 1.002.

Old 10-21-2012, 08:26 PM   #65
canucktech
Recipes 

Thanks for the great recipe Yooper. I've brewed up 2 gallons using apples from my tree, and the samples I've tasted have been great. I racked the wine a week ago from a carboy to two 1 gallon jugs. I did add honey to one of the jugs just to see how it would taste. But since I've split the batch and added the honey, it seems as though fermentation has ceased, even on the jug with the added honey. I did add 1/2tsp of nutrients a few days ago, but haven't seen any activity yet. The jug with the added honey has developed what looks like lees drop, but its more white/opaque in color and isn't exactly settling on the bottom. I'm wondering if the honey did not dissolve all the way into the wine when I mixed it after racking. Should I take it out of the jug and mix it more, with a wine whip maybe?

Old 10-23-2012, 05:05 PM   #66
edwardsce
Recipes 

I recently bought a new house with a crabapple tree in the front yard. It was full of fruit so I decided to attempt my first batch of wine. I mixed the ingredients in this recipe and tested the SG before adding the yeast+nutrients. The SG read 1.16 at 70 degrees (!?). Unfortunately, I later found out that this SG may be far too high for proper fermenting. There is steady fizzing and many more bubbles when I stir, but otherwise not a lot of activity. Does anyone have any advice for a first time winemaker (give up now , how to adjust/modify, don't worry about it, etc.)? Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Old 10-23-2012, 07:58 PM   #67
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4481 Times on 3260 Posts
Likes Given: 870

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucktech View Post
Thanks for the great recipe Yooper. I've brewed up 2 gallons using apples from my tree, and the samples I've tasted have been great. I racked the wine a week ago from a carboy to two 1 gallon jugs. I did add honey to one of the jugs just to see how it would taste. But since I've split the batch and added the honey, it seems as though fermentation has ceased, even on the jug with the added honey. I did add 1/2tsp of nutrients a few days ago, but haven't seen any activity yet. The jug with the added honey has developed what looks like lees drop, but its more white/opaque in color and isn't exactly settling on the bottom. I'm wondering if the honey did not dissolve all the way into the wine when I mixed it after racking. Should I take it out of the jug and mix it more, with a wine whip maybe?
No, the yeast can find the honey. Don't aerate it!

Old 10-23-2012, 07:59 PM   #68
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4481 Times on 3260 Posts
Likes Given: 870

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsce View Post
I recently bought a new house with a crabapple tree in the front yard. It was full of fruit so I decided to attempt my first batch of wine. I mixed the ingredients in this recipe and tested the SG before adding the yeast+nutrients. The SG read 1.16 at 70 degrees (!?). Unfortunately, I later found out that this SG may be far too high for proper fermenting. There is steady fizzing and many more bubbles when I stir, but otherwise not a lot of activity. Does anyone have any advice for a first time winemaker (give up now , how to adjust/modify, don't worry about it, etc.)? Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
1.160? Or 1.116? My hydrometer doesn't go up to 1.16, and I don't know if ANY do, so I'm guessing it's 1.116. Which is fine.

Old 11-10-2012, 02:42 AM   #69
tokerlund
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

OK, I did 5 gallons with fallen ornamental fruit. Then racked it over and without the fruit it went down to 3 gallons. It is in secondary and has cleared perfectly. It has only been about a month so far and I am willing to let it age. But, when I racked it over, I had a taste. It was very sour. Not quite as sour as my SeekterPee, but probably a bit too much for the masses. The folks we plan to share it with are dry wine drinkers. How might I go about tempering enough of the bitter/sour taste to make it more drinkable. Right now, I could have a glass, but that is it.

Challenge Factor: I am not smart (calculations), I am lazy, and my whole goal was to make a very cheap wine using fruit that was just going to go to the landfill. I would just like a ball park suggestion. I have Calcium Carbonate and I know back sweetening it will also do some good (but like I said we like it dry).

What can I add to temper and what is a ballpark of measurements?

Thanks for you patients to all of the hard core wine people out there. I know I am probably making you brain hurt. I am not an optimalist. I am more of a Heart than a Diamond or a Spade!

Old 11-24-2012, 03:19 AM   #70
canucktech
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
No, the yeast can find the honey. Don't aerate it!

I've run into another speed bump with the apple wine. I initially split a 2 gallon batch into two 1 gallon jugs, and added honey to one. I did leave my the sweetened apple wine alone like you said, and it is now happily fermenting again. It has also cleared up really well, like glass. However my jug of unsweetened apple wine has stopped fermenting and is still quite cloudy. What can I do to help it along and get it to clear as well as the other jug that I added honey to? There is not a large amount of lees drop in the bottom of the jug if that means anything nor has the airlock been active in weeks(its a 3 piece and it hasn't risen up that I've notice).

Quick Reply