Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wine > Crabapple Wine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2011, 04:32 AM   #41
dougdecinces
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Yooper, again with the great recipe!

There are three crab apple trees near my work and I have cased them for 26 pounds of crab apples. So, of course, I am going to make up a big batch of wine.

These apples resemble Jonagolds except they are about the size of ping pong balls. They have a good flavor and are tart, but not overbearingly so. I'm sure this will make for some good wine. I'll keep you posted as things go forward.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2011, 10:56 PM   #42
MeadHorn
Recipes 

So while I was riding bike on one of the bike paths in town, I came across quite the boon. In this nice secluded wooded section that is only accessable by foot/bike, I found a beautiful crabapple tree with fruit a bit bigger than a golf ball. This sounds like a non-ornamental variety to me!

I think I'll use your recipe Yooper, but I do have a tiny question before I get started. I know your tastes are different than mine, but how much honey did you end up adding to your 1 gallon batch? The idea of using honey to smooth things out is very interesting.

Thanks again for the recipe, and maybe I'll post back after some progress is made with the wine.

Old 09-05-2011, 11:20 PM   #43
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4369 Times on 3177 Posts
Likes Given: 850

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeadHorn View Post
So while I was riding bike on one of the bike paths in town, I came across quite the boon. In this nice secluded wooded section that is only accessable by foot/bike, I found a beautiful crabapple tree with fruit a bit bigger than a golf ball. This sounds like a non-ornamental variety to me!

I think I'll use your recipe Yooper, but I do have a tiny question before I get started. I know your tastes are different than mine, but how much honey did you end up adding to your 1 gallon batch? The idea of using honey to smooth things out is very interesting.

Thanks again for the recipe, and maybe I'll post back after some progress is made with the wine.
I added 1/4 cup and it fermented out. It was really nice!

Old 09-09-2011, 06:11 PM   #44
dougdecinces
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 11 Posts

Quick question:

I was thinking of setting up the OG at 1.090 and using Nottingham yeast with the hope that it craps out at around 1.005-1.010. Is this doable? I don't forsee a problem, but you can never be too sure.

Old 11-20-2011, 11:32 AM   #45
nukinfuts29
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts

Looking at our crabapple tree last night I caught notice of the osage orange trees out back. Wonder if they would be good, or could even be used.

My Recipes: Drunken Emu Hard Cider, Drunken Emu Mississippi River Water
The Jack Keller Collection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt_Kirks View Post
Patience, my Padawon. The yeast can sense your tension.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Maybe you want to educate yourself instead of just having a bunch of pre-conceived notions based on ignorance.

Old 12-09-2011, 10:47 PM   #46
OneFeather
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
I added 1/4 cup and it fermented out. It was really nice!
Was that 1/4 cup per gallon? Or for the whole batch/

GO PACK!!!!!!

Old 12-09-2011, 10:51 PM   #47
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneFeather View Post
Was that 1/4 cup per gallon? Or for the whole batch/

GO PACK!!!!!!
It was 1/4 at a time, I believe. I added it, let it ferment out, tasted it, added it again, etc, but still had it finish at .996. My notes are pretty hard to read now but that's been my procedure the last few times I've made this wine.

We actually drank a bottle of this tonight with dinner, from crabapples from 2009. It is aging really nicely! By the time it's old enough to really have aged, though, it'll be gone!

Old 06-02-2012, 05:49 PM   #48
kman86
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
One gallon recipe

6 pounds crabapples
water
1 campden tablet
1/2 tsp pectic enzyme
wine yeast
1 tsp yeast nutrients
About 3 pounds sugar
honey (if wanted)

Crush apples, but do not cut or crush seeds. Put in large mesh bag and add enough water to cover apples in primary. Add 1 crushed campden tablet. Stir well. Cover loosely with a towel. 12 hours later, add pectic enzyme and stir well. The next day, add sugar to desired sg (usually 1.085- 1.100) in enough water to bring to one gallon in the primary, then add nutrient and wine yeast. Stir daily for 5 days. Keep loosely covered.
On the 6th day, strain and discard apples. Rack into secondary and top up to one gallon with water. Rack about three weeks after fermentation has ceased. At this point, you could mix 1/2 cup of honey with one cup of of wine, and rack the wine into that. Fermentation should start up again, if it doesn't add 1/2 tsp nutrients. This can be done several times, if desired, for a sweeter wine.
(I'm doing one batch with honey, and one without)

Rack every 45 days- 3 months until no more lees drop. Bottle at 6-12 months.

This wine is very good dry- the crabapples give it a kind of spiciness lacking in most apple wines. It could be sweetened just a little for a nice table wine, or sweetened more for a dessert wine.
I have a large crab apple tree in my backyard and am thinking of attempting crabapple wine. I'm fairly new to making wine, I've only made about 3 batches of kit wines, but I really love the juice from my crabapple tree and think it might make a fantastic wine.

I've scourged the internet for recipes, and I think this one by far looks the most promising. If I were to scale this up to a 6 gallon batch, would you recommend multiplying everything by 6 except for the yeast + yeast nutrients? (and perhaps cut down on the sugar a bit, to say 12 pounds?) Thanks!

Old 06-02-2012, 11:08 PM   #49
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman86 View Post
I have a large crab apple tree in my backyard and am thinking of attempting crabapple wine. I'm fairly new to making wine, I've only made about 3 batches of kit wines, but I really love the juice from my crabapple tree and think it might make a fantastic wine.

I've scourged the internet for recipes, and I think this one by far looks the most promising. If I were to scale this up to a 6 gallon batch, would you recommend multiplying everything by 6 except for the yeast + yeast nutrients? (and perhaps cut down on the sugar a bit, to say 12 pounds?) Thanks!
Yes, just multiplying the recipe x6 would work well (except for the yeast). I probably would add just enough sugar to get to 1.085-1.090 so it would depend on how much natural sugar your crabapples have on how much sugar you add.

Old 06-03-2012, 05:17 AM   #50
kman86
Recipes 

Sounds good, thanks for the quick reply! Can't wait to make it!

Quick Reply