Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wine > Crabapple Wine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2010, 03:28 PM   #21
VerticalGambit
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

This is a real good find. I am staring out at the inlaws yard at a pear tree and a crab apple tree. I have been telling the we can do something with them, but just was not sure.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2010, 04:44 PM   #22
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4777 Times on 3472 Posts
Likes Given: 952

I have 5 gallons of this wine in secondary, made from 30 pounds of crabapples. Bob mentioned that he had some crabapples still in the chest freezer. I told him to go pull them out- we might as well make more wine and use them up.

Here's what he came upstairs with:
dscf5007.jpg

That's right- 83 pounds of crabapples!!!!!

I happen to have plenty of sugar, since I bought about 20 4 pound packages when it went on sale for $.99/package. So, tonight I am starting a 14 gallon batch of crabapple wine. Good thing he found some empty primary buckets, too!

Old 08-19-2010, 01:42 PM   #23
carrie_mt
Recipes 

YooperBrew said: Just make sure you use "real" crabapples, not those ornamental fruits.

Silly me planted an ornamental crabapple tree in my front yard 6 years ago because I didn't want to have to worry about the fruit. I could v-8 slap myself for that now! Last year I made jelly and crabapple juice from the apples and it tasted great! The apples are red and about the size of a quarter.

Since I liked the juice could I use them for wine or is there a specific reason you said not to use ornamental crabapples?

Old 08-19-2010, 02:30 PM   #24
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrie_mt View Post
YooperBrew said: Just make sure you use "real" crabapples, not those ornamental fruits.

Silly me planted an ornamental crabapple tree in my front yard 6 years ago because I didn't want to have to worry about the fruit. I could v-8 slap myself for that now! Last year I made jelly and crabapple juice from the apples and it tasted great! The apples are red and about the size of a quarter.

Since I liked the juice could I use them for wine or is there a specific reason you said not to use ornamental crabapples?
If you like them, you could use them! The ornamental crabapples I've seen have had tiny hard red fruits. If yours are edible, you certainly could try wine with them.

Old 08-19-2010, 10:13 PM   #25
carrie_mt
Recipes 

Awesome - Thanks Yooper! I'll give it a try!

The crabapple juice and jelly I made last year with them was delish so I think it will make a great wine!

Old 10-30-2010, 08:49 AM   #26
microflt
Recipes 

Default First batch of Crabapple Wine

Trying the first batch of this...so far, so good, I think.

I've been trying little 1-ounce "shots" of this every other week or so and it seems to be on track so far. Every time it's tasting a little more like something you could serve to friends with out them thinking that you're trying to poison them. lol.

I've just added the honey (1/2 cup). I didn't really see any fermentation action, at least not like the initial fermentation (mad bubbling and convection). It tastes pretty good at this point, although it has a pretty strong everclear-like nose.

That being said, my real question is, what color should be expected of the wine at this point and when it's finished? Right now it has a "apple juice" color whereas earlier in the process it was much redder, then pinker, and now this color. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Old 10-30-2010, 02:43 PM   #27
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by microflt View Post
Trying the first batch of this...so far, so good, I think.

I've been trying little 1-ounce "shots" of this every other week or so and it seems to be on track so far. Every time it's tasting a little more like something you could serve to friends with out them thinking that you're trying to poison them. lol.

I've just added the honey (1/2 cup). I didn't really see any fermentation action, at least not like the initial fermentation (mad bubbling and convection). It tastes pretty good at this point, although it has a pretty strong everclear-like nose.

That being said, my real question is, what color should be expected of the wine at this point and when it's finished? Right now it has a "apple juice" color whereas earlier in the process it was much redder, then pinker, and now this color. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Mine finished as a clear white wine, but one time it had a golden hue to it.

Old 12-16-2010, 07:28 PM   #28
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4884 Times on 4471 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Just make sure you use "real" crabapples, not those ornamental fruits.
Huh? What is the difference?

I am about to plant (2 ) Malus Sargentii (Sargent Crabapple) trees and was just poking around to see what if anything could be done with the fruits. from Googling it appears that Crabapples are Crabapples. They are all anywhere from 1/3" to 1/2" in size (like a cherry).

Praytell what you mean.

Old 12-16-2010, 07:38 PM   #29
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer View Post
Huh? What is the difference?

I am about to plant (2 ) Malus Sargentii (Sargent Crabapple) trees and was just poking around to see what if anything could be done with the fruits. from Googling it appears that Crabapples are Crabapples. They are all anywhere from 1/3" to 1/2" in size (like a cherry).

Praytell what you mean.
Crabapples for eating are not from those pretty ornamental trees. The cherry-sized fruit from the ornamental trees are hard and not made for eating. They're not poisonous or anything, of course- just not really very good and they are small.

The crabapples grown as a fruit tree are large, and look like small granny smith or other apples. They have a great flavor and texture, and are just like apples but a bit "spicier" if that makes sense. We grow "centennial crabapple" and "dolgo" for varieties. http://www.raintreenursery.com/catal...=Apples%2DCrab

The "ornamental" type trees are really pretty with fragrant blossoms, and common in landscapes, but they are grown for their attractiveness, not their fruit. http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/1000/1029.html

Old 12-16-2010, 07:43 PM   #30
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4884 Times on 4471 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Crabapples for eating are not from those pretty ornamental trees. The cherry-sized fruit from the ornamental trees are hard and not made for eating. They're not poisonous or anything, of course- just not really very good and they are small.

The crabapples grown as a fruit tree are large, and look like small granny smith or other apples. They have a great flavor and texture, and are just like apples but a bit "spicier" if that makes sense. We grow "centennial crabapple" and "dolgo" for varieties. http://www.raintreenursery.com/catal...=Apples%2DCrab

The "ornamental" type trees are really pretty with fragrant blossoms, and common in landscapes, but they are grown for their attractiveness, not their fruit. http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/1000/1029.html
Ahhh. Alrighty then.

I will be planting the Ornamentals then. It appears they are best used for preserves or pies.

Perhaps one day I may try a Ornamental Crabapple wine and see if I can make you drink your words.I am thinking a Begian Yeast throwing off tons of Phenolic may pair well with the tart character of the Ornamental Crabapples.

Quick Reply