Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wine > Coffee Wine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2014, 05:49 AM   #21
Leadgolem
Drunken Monkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 962 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1763

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgonbrewlab View Post
So, I tried this recipe out (bottled about a month ago). I made a 5 gal batch and split into 5 one gal's for secondary.

Since I had so much I added about .25 cup cocoa per gallon to two carboys and about 1 tsp mint to another and gave it almost a month before bottling. Mint smells a little overpowering, but the cocoa is delightful.

I didn't back sweeten with sugar so I am sure it will be very dry, but the first early samples I have had have been interesting and not too bad. Maybe drink it on ice with a little flavored cream?
That's not a bad idea. I don't like coffee without sugar myself. My basic guideline has been to fix the wine the way the person likes their coffee, only cold. That's been pretty successful so far.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2014, 03:11 AM   #22
Gar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Took a sample of my coffee wine and i gotta say wow i really didn't expect that it was very coffee forward and i didn't get much of a booze burn. mine is about 2 months old and is a 5 gallon batch that isn't exactly like Leadgolems but none the less its very good or at least the shot glass worth of it i tried was. i'm gonna age it and see if it gets better. think im gonna add milk sugar in various amounts to 3/4 of the bottles and maybe some vanilla i been aging. very nice Leadgolem cheers

Old 03-24-2014, 12:12 AM   #23
mgonbrewlab
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Ok, tasting notes. I bottled 8 weeks ago. I skipped back sweetening and Pasteurization, but added cocoa (about .5 cup per gallon) to 2 of my gallon carboys.

this is still very boozy. Very boozy. It is also very potent. The first sip was very forward with the boozy taste with the coffee and cocoa tastes coming next. The smell was all cocoa in the carboy but now it is booze and coffee. It is pretty pleasant after the initial burn, and it has a nice warming effect.

I am hoping a couple more months mellows it out a bit. as it is, it is a very dry, very strong, but still fairly pleasant sipper. For swmbo it is tolerable on ice with cream, but still a bit too boozy.

Next time this gets made it will definitely get back sweetened or, considering how strong it ended up I may make it in winter so I can crash it before it ferments dry and then stabalize it.

I will try a bottle where I added mint in about 6 weeks

Sent from my EVO using Home Brew mobile app

Old 03-31-2014, 01:50 AM   #24
jtromp
Recipes 

Hi there. Just a question. Has anyone tried to use a simple syrup to add the sugar? Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Old 03-31-2014, 03:54 AM   #25
Leadgolem
Drunken Monkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 962 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1763

Simple syrup would be fine to add the sugar. It's easier to disperse it through a liquid that way. Since people make them a little differently it's harder to produce a coherent recipe with them though. That's why I don't write recipes that actually call for them.

Old 05-16-2014, 11:32 PM   #26
mgonbrewlab
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

3 months in- this is really starting to mellow out. Makes a delicious hard iced coffee drink with a splash of creamer.

I am no longer so strongly regretting not back sweetening this wine, tho next time I will for sure

1400282956066.jpg  

Old 05-19-2014, 11:50 PM   #27
arky1974
Recipes 

I was wondering if anyone has tried to back sweeten this with some more cold brewed coffee (maybe concentrated cold brew) to add a little more coffee flavor. I have a gallon of this in the secondary and I really like it so far, but it's very very dry. Felt like I was drinking moonshine! LOL! Anyway, I would love to make this a little more "coffee" like before I bottle it.

Old 05-20-2014, 04:03 AM   #28
Gar
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by arky1974 View Post
I was wondering if anyone has tried to back sweeten this with some more cold brewed coffee (maybe concentrated cold brew) to add a little more coffee flavor. I have a gallon of this in the secondary and I really like it so far, but it's very very dry. Felt like I was drinking moonshine! LOL! Anyway, I would love to make this a little more "coffee" like before I bottle it.
I did somthing like this when i made 4 gallons i realized after fermintation i had not used enough coffee so i fixed a one gallon batch with the extra coffee cold brewed in to make the 5 gallons to scale. i also added 1 cup of sugar to the batch im sure this made mine less strong then the op's version but i gotta say it was very coffee forward at 2 months when i bottled but i havent tried it since.

Old 05-20-2014, 04:16 AM   #29
jtromp
Recipes 

So I finished bottling mine. Using a simple syrup helped speed up the brew day, especially with 2 kids under two and a half years! I did use a 2 gallon fermenter and thankfully a blow off tube as well. It went INSANE! When I bottled it I found it a little harsh but not too bad. In the future I'll try adding some more coffee during the cold brew time. I would make a 5 gallon batch soon, Christmas is just around the corner...imageuploadedbyhome-brew1400559355.077944.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Old 05-21-2014, 08:48 PM   #30
Texconsinite
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Regarding the pasteurization, couldnt you just use sorbate and K-meta to stabilize, then backsweeten?

Quick Reply