Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wine > Coffee Wine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2014, 10:33 PM   #11
Mike_Turner
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I need some help guys/gals.
I followed the recipe except for the following:
-did not use energizer or bentonite
-used 1 lb table sugar, 1 lb brown sugar
-used decaf dunkin donuts

OG:1.098

After 8 days fermentation seemed to be complete so I took gravity reading

FG:0.990

I was shocked how fast it had fermented! I took a taste and about threw up in my mouth.
It tasted like straight vinegar/ammonia. It was awful.

Anybody know what I did wrong? I'm very new at this so any help will be greatly appreciated!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2014, 02:10 AM   #12
LoneTreeFarms
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Not positive cuz I haven't made this yet. But the second sentence says 4-6 months not days to mature out. I'd suggest putting an airlock on it and forget about it.

Old 01-20-2014, 12:43 AM   #13
Gar
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 19

does milk sugar add any of the flavor of milk? ive never used it its not fermintable right? i was thinking it may a better back sweetner i dont know tho.

Old 01-20-2014, 01:04 AM   #14
Leadgolem
Drunken Monkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 960 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1763

EDIT: Sorry I've been MIA guys. I've been busy with family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Turner View Post
I need some help guys/gals.
I followed the recipe except for the following:
-did not use energizer or bentonite
-used 1 lb table sugar, 1 lb brown sugar
-used decaf dunkin donuts

OG:1.098

After 8 days fermentation seemed to be complete so I took gravity reading

FG:0.990

I was shocked how fast it had fermented! I took a taste and about threw up in my mouth.

Anybody know what I did wrong? I'm very new at this so any help will be greatly appreciated!
Bottle it and leave it for a few months. It's pretty gross when it's just hit FG. It's a little bit like mead that way.

It's also better if it's heavily back sweetened.

The nutrients are there to avoid sulfur compounds being produced during fermentation. If you had that problem you would have something that smelled pretty much like rotten eggs. So, I think you are alright there.

I'd probably skip the brown sugar next time. The flavor compounds you end up with from it post fermentation aren't, IMO, really compatible with the coffee flavor.

The process used to remove the majority of the caffeine from coffee also removes a reasonable number of flavor compounds. I would suggest increasing the amount of ground coffee you are using by 30-50% if you want to make a low caffeine version with decaff coffee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gar View Post
does milk sugar add any of the flavor of milk? ive never used it its not fermintable right? i was thinking it may a better back sweetner i dont know tho.
Lactose is not fermentable. IMO, it doesn't really give you a milk flavor. It does give your brew a nice rich mouth feel though.

As long as you aren't lactose intolerant, it's a really good choice for backsweetening this stuff.

Old 01-22-2014, 12:16 AM   #15
MadBoozer
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Why and how do you pasteurize it? Wouldn't it cause the alcohol to evaporate?

Old 01-25-2014, 01:15 AM   #16
Leadgolem
Drunken Monkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadBoozer View Post
Why and how do you pasteurize it? Wouldn't it cause the alcohol to evaporate?
If you back sweeten with a fermentable sugar you need to kill the yeast off so it doesn't continue to ferment in the bottle and cause the bottles to explode. If you use a non-fermentable sweetener, like splenda or lactose, then you don't need to pasteurize.

I'm referring to pasteurizing in the bottle after it's capped. No chance for loss of alcohol due to evaporation. It's really common with sweet cider.
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/easy...g-pics-193295/

If you want to do this with wine bottles the process is slightly different. Put something in the pot to keep the bottles off the bottom. Fill the bottles, put them in the pot of cold water uncorked. You want the water level to be slightly higher then the liquid level in the bottles, but not over top the bottles. Heat the water to your desired temperature. I usually pasteurize at 160f for 10 minutes. Then take them out and set them on a towel to cool down. A silicone oven mit is ideal for this. When the wine drops down back into the bottle from it's climb up the neck you can cork them. If you're worried about contamination, or need to leave them overnight, then make some foil hats for the bottles.

Alcohol loss from this process is minimal. Ethanol in a water based solution prefers to evaporate at more like 173-178f. Most of the little you'll lose at 160f is going to be undesirable methanol anyway.

I would not recommend doing this sparkling. The acid flavor added by the carbonic acid in solution of a carbonated beverage does not play well with the coffee flavors. I have tried it. It was nasty.

Old 01-27-2014, 03:32 AM   #17
Gar
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 19

well i just messed up i started making this but i forgot it first warm the water will this be ok to make this without warming the water?

Old 01-31-2014, 03:15 AM   #18
Leadgolem
Drunken Monkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gar View Post
well i just messed up i started making this but i forgot it first warm the water will this be ok to make this without warming the water?
Sure, the warm water just speeds things up a tad and gives you some extra body. Give it an extra half day or so to extract. It will be fine.

Old 03-08-2014, 02:01 PM   #19
mgonbrewlab
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

So, I tried this recipe out (bottled about a month ago). I made a 5 gal batch and split into 5 one gal's for secondary.

Since I had so much I added about .25 cup cocoa per gallon to two carboys and about 1 tsp mint to another and gave it almost a month before bottling. Mint smells a little overpowering, but the cocoa is delightful.

I didn't back sweeten with sugar so I am sure it will be very dry, but the first early samples I have had have been interesting and not too bad. Maybe drink it on ice with a little flavored cream?

Old 03-08-2014, 02:11 PM   #20
mgonbrewlab
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Turner View Post
Yeah- I thought my eyes would burn off every time I racked this. I reracked again and gave this an extra month before bottling. I chilled a bottle to sample and it was pretty tolerable.

Sent from my EVO using Home Brew mobile app

Quick Reply