Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wine > Coffee Wine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2013, 03:29 AM   #1
Leadgolem
Drunken Monkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 960 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1763

Default Coffee Wine

Recipe Type: Extract
Yeast: Pasteur Champagne
Batch Size (Gallons): 1
Original Gravity: 1.095-1.100
Final Gravity: 1.000 - 0.995
Boiling Time (Minutes): no
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 7
Tasting Notes: This is a bit hard to describe. It tastes like coffee, but without a bite.

People keep asking me for my coffee wine recipe, so here it is.

This wine needs 4-6 months to mature. Longer is better.
ABV: 12.7-14%

6 oz medium roast ground coffee, by weight. I used Dunkin' Donuts brand, because that's what I like to drink.
About 2 1/2 lbs of granulated table sugar. 2 lbs for fermenting, 1/4-1/2 lb for back sweetening.
2 tsps yeast nutrient
1 tsp yeast energizer
1 5 gram packet of Pasteur champagne dry yeast
1/2 tsp bentonite powder, optional
2 tsp vanilla extract

Pour the ground coffee into a 1 gallon container, or a couple of smaller pitchers, add hot water until total volume is 1 gallon. Hot water in this case is not boiling, or the typical 212F for brewing coffee. It's more like 110-120f. You aren't trying to brew the coffee with heat, just get some body out of it. If your tap water tastes good then just hot from the tap is fine. If not, heat some bottled or filtered water on the stove.

In a few minutes the ground coffee should have formed a kind of mat in the top of the container. Break that up and stir it into the liquid. Most of the coffee should drop into the bottom of the container.

Cap the container, or put aluminum foil over the top of the container. Let it sit at room temperature for approximately 24 hours. After about 24 hours, pour the coffee through a coffee filter. Leave the majority of the grounds in the bottom of the container, they will just make it take longer to pass through the filter. The point of this is to brew coffee with a low psuedo-tannin content. That's what makes coffee bitter, and coffee has a tendency for far to high levels of these to enter solution in the presence of alcohol. That's also why there aren't any coffee solids in the fermentor. Brewing long and at a low temperature extracts lots of coffee flavor compounds without extracting a significant amount of psuedo-tannins.

Pour the cold brewed coffee into your fermenting container. I would recommend a 2 gallon fermenting bucket. The caffeine causes even low flocculating yeast to foam more then is normal. Add sugar in two or three additions until your gravity is between 1.095 - 1.100. Make sure to fully dissolve each sugar addition before adding the next, and check the gravity before each addition. It's Ok to pour the sample back in. If you are off even a little in your volume you change the sugar needed in a batch this small fairly significantly. With the volume lost from the coffee solids left behind, and the water in them, you should get almost exactly 1 gallon of liquid after the sugar has been added.

Add the yeast nutrient, stir until dispersed. Aerate if you wish. You will probably have to shake the ish out of it to dissolve the sugar so aeration is going to be redundant. Pitch the yeast. Seal your fermentor up.

In about twelve days add your bentonite powder if you are using any. In about 14 days, transfer off the yeast cake. Give it another week to be sure it's done fermenting. Add vanilla extract. It is recommended this be back sweetened, then pasteurized. Somewhere between 1/4 lb and 1/2 lb of sugar is about right, depending on taste.

Happy Brewing!

People Like This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2013, 07:18 PM   #2
Thunder_Chicken
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 657 Times on 461 Posts
Likes Given: 178

A caffeinated 12-14% ABV beverage. Wow. This is to be enjoyed in moderation I am sure.

Old 07-15-2013, 07:23 PM   #3
ACbrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I must try this. It is basicaly the flavor of Black coffee with sugar?

Old 07-15-2013, 07:50 PM   #4
Leadgolem
Drunken Monkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder_Chicken View Post
A caffeinated 12-14% ABV beverage. Wow. This is to be enjoyed in moderation I am sure.
Yup. Not something to drink when you are headed off to bed. It's nice on it's own, but easy to get out of control with. The caffeine can mask how hammered you are getting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACbrewer View Post
I must try this. It is basicaly the flavor of Black coffee with sugar?
Pretty much. You might want to try some cold brewed coffee by it's self first. The flavor of the cold brewed coffee is unmistakable in the finished product. That isn't really the same as regular black coffee. It doesn't have the same bite, and it's... uh... easier to drink I guess. I like it a great deal, but not everyone does.

Old 07-15-2013, 08:15 PM   #5
ACbrewer
Recipes 

I cold brew all the time, but I think at a different ratio. Any idea how much coffee grounds by volume ? (I'm assuming it is 6oz weight)

Old 07-15-2013, 08:27 PM   #6
Thunder_Chicken
Recipes 

Liked 657 Times on 461 Posts
Likes Given: 178

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadgolem View Post
Yup. Not something to drink when you are headed off to bed. It's nice on it's own, but easy to get out of control with. The caffeine can mask how hammered you are getting.
Yeah, I could sorta see waking up sometime late the next morning in jail, with vague rememberances of me howling, buck naked, about 50 ft up in my neighbor's pine tree, surrounded by the neighbors, local police, animal control, and my wife on the cell with a divorce attorney if I got too heavy into this.

I will perhaps try a 1-gallon batch someday.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:26 PM   #7
Leadgolem
Drunken Monkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
I cold brew all the time, but I think at a different ratio. Any idea how much coffee grounds by volume ? (I'm assuming it is 6oz weight)
It's almost exactly 2 cups ground coffee by volume.
scottdmichael Likes This 
Old 09-25-2013, 09:10 PM   #8
LoneTreeFarms
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 49

still sticking with the hot water on this recipe? i'm thinking i'll try it this weekend but i thought about cold brewing the coffee instead.

Old 09-25-2013, 11:56 PM   #9
ACbrewer
Recipes 

Hot water works faster, but brings out more coffee tanins (bitters). By cold brewing, you don't extract as much of the bitter flavor. Although more time is needed to get the same coffee results.

Old 09-26-2013, 03:27 AM   #10
Leadgolem
Drunken Monkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneTreeFarms View Post
still sticking with the hot water on this recipe? i'm thinking i'll try it this weekend but i thought about cold brewing the coffee instead.
Quote:
Hot water works faster, but brings out more coffee tanins (bitters). By cold brewing, you don't extract as much of the bitter flavor. Although more time is needed to get the same coffee results.
Yup. The hot water isn't that hot, so pseudo tannin extraction is fairly minimal.

Really though, it breaks down to what kind of coffee you like when it's cold and doesn't have any sugar in it. That's kinda what this tastes like, only with alcohol, when it's done. I find I prefer cold brewed coffee that's been "bloomed" in hot water.

Quick Reply