Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wine > Cherry Wine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2009, 06:28 PM   #11
seansbrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

question: Do any of the ingredients need to be heated for sanitary purposes?

I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they get up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.

Primary: "I Scream for Cream Ale"
Secondary: empty
Aging: Pinot Noir
On Tap: empty
Next: prickly pear mead.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2009, 11:31 PM   #12
summersolstice
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by seansbrew View Post
question: Do any of the ingredients need to be heated for sanitary purposes?
No. Well, the pop-up said I had to write at least 10 characters.

Old 07-14-2009, 07:25 AM   #13
RoastedOak
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I guess what I don't really "get" is why the bentonite is being added at the beginning? What purpose does adding a clearing agent serve the wine at that stage?

Old 07-14-2009, 11:35 AM   #14
summersolstice
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoastedOak View Post
I guess what I don't really "get" is why the bentonite is being added at the beginning? What purpose does adding a clearing agent serve the wine at that stage?
Bentonite is a negatively charged substance and when hydrated and added to wine, it will attract the positively charged particulate in the wine. As bentonite hydrates and swells, it becomes like a sponge which accounts for it's very large surface area. When it is mixed thoroughly into the wine and is dispersed throughout, the positively charged matter in the wine attaches to the bentonite. The weight of the molecules then cause the matter to drop to the bottom of the container.

There are two different schools of thought on when to add bentonite. One school says to add it to the must before you add yeast. The other suggests that bentonite should be added after fermentation has been completed. There is no right or wrong answer, and with your own experimentation, you may end up with your own preference. Regardless of when you add it, the actions of bentonite are the same. However, some believe that there is an additional benefit when adding to the must before fermentation begins.

Last edited by summersolstice; 07-14-2009 at 11:41 AM.

Old 07-14-2009, 03:17 PM   #15
RoastedOak
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ya, I wonder what the benefit could possibly be. It's basically a special purpose kitty litter. I just used it for the first time to remove a haze that wouldn't settle out of a fruit juice wine (worked great!) but I don't think I would ever use it at the beginning, seems like just a waste. Once the yeasties get moving they'll be kicking everything back up in the must anyways.

Old 07-27-2009, 03:49 AM   #16
seansbrew
Recipes 

Well, one away. I put a batch to rest tonight. 16 lbs. cherries, 2.5 lbs raisins and 10 cups of cane sugar. The batch size was 4 gallons and the SG. was 1.080. This is the first time I have ever done something like this. I am looking forward to the finished product.

I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they get up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.

Primary: "I Scream for Cream Ale"
Secondary: empty
Aging: Pinot Noir
On Tap: empty
Next: prickly pear mead.

Old 05-03-2011, 11:35 AM   #17
DLPChris
Recipes 

Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but I used this as my first brewing experiment, modified slightly (I added 12 oz ground chocolate), and after the first transfer, it already tastes amazing. Thank you, sir.

Old 05-27-2011, 01:26 AM   #18
kiowawarrior
Recipes 

I have made this wine before and thoroughly enjoyed it. I am getting ready to make it again. I happen to have in the pantry a liter of red grape concentrate I was going to use in a blackberry wine. Do you think this will add well to this wine? If I use it should I delete the raisins and cranberry? Finally, if I add it will it sweetn the wine substantially? I like my wines dry (cabernets, chiantis, etc...). Or will the sweetness come from the back end of the process. I do not have a ton of wine experience so any advise would be appreciated.

Old 08-10-2012, 05:49 PM   #19
a6ladd
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 28

First time wine maker here, just ordered all my finings from NB. Cant wait to make this batch of wine. Sounds fantastic!

Bottles: SMaSH Maris/Citra, Munich Dunkel, Independence Day Imperial Stout, Cascadian Dark Ale, Surly Bender Clone
Kegs: Empty
Primary: LFA Lime
Secondary: Bells Two Heated clone

The Canning Room Brewery

Old 08-26-2012, 06:58 AM   #20
Unferth
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Cherries are super cheap and AWESOME at the moment in lovely BC! just bought about 30 lbs of the beauties (Bing Cherries I think--they're real sweet) and I'm thinking of making this recipe, anybody have any pointers or tasting notes? I'm thinking of bumping the OG up to 1.1 or so. Sound like a good idea?

I'm game for a dry or a semi-dry, but I'd like to maintain a strong hint of this wonderful cherry flavor.

EDIT: or, if not for this particular recipe, what might I expect from a Cherry Wine in general? SWMBO is eyeing my cherries for canning purposes, so I need to convince her the wine would be worthwhile (if, indeed, it would be). Anything helps!

Quick Reply