Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wine > Blackberry Wine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2012, 10:08 PM   #31
andyn11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Nice one ... Think ill give this a go tomorrow nite ... Got my blackberries in a freeze thaw cycle will take em out in the morn and start tomorrow nite

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2012, 10:37 PM   #32
Halbrust
Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 98

If I used 4.5 lbs* of blackberries, how much sugar should I cut out?

*Will have to buy frozen berries in 12 oz packs. Six 12 oz packs is 4.5 lbs. I'd rather up the berries to 4.5 than reduce them to 3.75.

Old 08-30-2012, 10:49 PM   #33
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4278 Times on 3117 Posts
Likes Given: 824

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halbrust View Post
If I used 4.5 lbs* of blackberries, how much sugar should I cut out?

*Will have to buy frozen berries in 12 oz packs. Six 12 oz packs is 4.5 lbs. I'd rather up the berries to 4.5 than reduce them to 3.75.
I'd start with a bit under 2 pounds, and check the SG. If the SG is bit low, you can add some more sugar.

Old 05-31-2013, 12:47 PM   #34
siroiszoo
Recipes 

Likes Given: 21

Question re: nutrients. When do you add the nutrients?

I'm using the Blackberry wine (heavy body) & the Blackberry wine (medium body - dry) from the jackkeller.net site. After last years failure (made quite a few mistakes), I've been reading and studying like crazy to prepare for the bumper crop of blackberries I have this year. thought I had it all down until I read this while ordering more nutrient: Use one teaspoon per gallon of must. Add to must (wine) 24 hours before adding yeast to provide the yeast with a healthy environment with much needed vitamins and nutrients.

Apparently I need to learn a bit more. I just followed the recipe and added the nutrient WITH the yeast. Have I already ruined the wine before I even got started?

Old 05-31-2013, 01:00 PM   #35
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by siroiszoo View Post
Question re: nutrients. When do you add the nutrients?

I'm using the Blackberry wine (heavy body) & the Blackberry wine (medium body - dry) from the jackkeller.net site. After last years failure (made quite a few mistakes), I've been reading and studying like crazy to prepare for the bumper crop of blackberries I have this year. thought I had it all down until I read this while ordering more nutrient: Use one teaspoon per gallon of must. Add to must (wine) 24 hours before adding yeast to provide the yeast with a healthy environment with much needed vitamins and nutrients.

Apparently I need to learn a bit more. I just followed the recipe and added the nutrient WITH the yeast. Have I already ruined the wine before I even got started?
No, that's fine. You can add the nutrient at any time. It's just easiest to mix up the must all at one time (including the campden/sulfites) and add the yeast 24 hours later.
siroiszoo Likes This 
Old 05-31-2013, 08:48 PM   #36
siroiszoo
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
No, that's fine. You can add the nutrient at any time. It's just easiest to mix up the must all at one time (including the campden/sulfites) and add the yeast 24 hours later.
Thanks Yooper! If I may ask another question....

I noticed in one of your posts you oaked one of your blackberry wines. I was thinking of trying it with the 5 gallon batch I started a few days ago. Thinking I'd try using these: Oak Infusion Spirals - 2 pack - American or French Oak - Treats 6 Gallons from http://www.homebrewit.com/wine-making-oak-alternatives.

Of course, I'd have to research "oaking" wines. Totally new concept for me.

Could I please have your insight on this? Good product? Bad product? For the novice?

Thanks!

Old 05-31-2013, 08:50 PM   #37
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Thanks Yooper! If I may ask another question....

I noticed in one of your posts you oaked one of your blackberry wines. I was thinking of trying it with the 5 gallon batch I started a few days ago. Thinking I'd try using these: Oak Infusion Spirals - 2 pack - American or French Oak - Treats 6 Gallons from http://www.homebrewit.com/wine-making-oak-alternatives.

Of course, I'd have to research "oaking" wines. Totally new concept for me.

Could I please have your insight on this? Good product? Bad product? For the novice?

Thanks!
Oh, yes, those are very nice spirals! I prefer the fullness (and less harshness) of the French oak, but the American is ok with some age.

I'm cheap, and often use chips or cubes but if I wanted something really special, the spirals are great. I've used them in expensive wine kits, and loved the results.
siroiszoo Likes This 
Old 06-03-2013, 03:06 PM   #38
siroiszoo
Recipes 

Quote:
Oh, yes, those are very nice spirals! I prefer the fullness (and less harshness) of the French oak, but the American is ok with some age.

I'm cheap, and often use chips or cubes but if I wanted something really special, the spirals are great. I've used them in expensive wine kits, and loved the results.
I'm taking your advice, ordered some French oak chips and will hope they come in on time. I'd like to try American oak in one batch/French in the other.

Old 06-12-2013, 05:15 PM   #39
siroiszoo
Recipes 

Quote:

Yooper, I have my French Oak chips, and have read so many different thoughts on the subject that I wanted to know when you add them and for how long....assuming you add them to blackberry wine (because I can't seem to find the post where I thought I had read that you do ).

Old 06-13-2013, 09:05 PM   #40
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Yooper, I have my French Oak chips, and have read so many different thoughts on the subject that I wanted to know when you add them and for how long....assuming you add them to blackberry wine (because I can't seem to find the post where I thought I had read that you do ).
Oh, sometimes I do! It depends on the wine from each year. Some years, the berries are "lighter" and wouldn't hold up as well to oak.

I oak after the wine has been clear for quite a while and no new lees have dropped after at least 60 days. I rack onto the chips, and let the wine sit for about 3-4 weeks. I sample, and when it's just slightly too much (as it will fade in the bottle), then I rack and bottle or bulk age some more.

Oaking is the last thing I do to the wine, generally.
siroiszoo Likes This 

Quick Reply