Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wine > Blackberry Wine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2011, 12:22 PM   #21
hippo8046
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

This looks really good! I'm starting a batch this weekend. I have tried different variations of JAO with blackberries substituted for the orange. I was wondering what everyone's thought have been on the amount of blackberries to add per gallon and what resulted from their experiments.

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2011, 06:28 PM   #22
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredge73 View Post
My father has been trying to make blackberry wine for some time now.
He picks hundreds of pounds every year from his bushes.

I know he has tried multiple recipes, maybe even this one. The problem is that they are all very hot. Other than cutting back the sugar, what can I tell him to do to prevent/lessen this flaw?
To make sure the OG isn't above 1.090 and that the fementation temperature never goes above 75 degrees. Also, aging is important. A young wine will taste hot, but in two years it won't.

Old 10-18-2011, 08:25 PM   #23
mredge73
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 30 Posts

I figured that much.
3-6 months is just way too soon.
I wasn't sure how common this was in a wine.

Old 11-24-2011, 01:58 PM   #24
Texas_Brew
Recipes 

I tried some of this wine months ago and super surprisingly It tasted good only a few months old! so I gave some to a co worker and I drank the rest. but I have kept one bottle stored away in a 360 vodka flip top bottle. and decided to save It till thanks giving. well wile getting the food ready this morning me and my wife decided to taste the wine. I flipped the top and pop apparently when I had thought this stuff had finished fermentation this stuff is carbonated! I flipped the top back down and I had been burping it. looks like I have dew berry champagne for thanksgiving! I cant wait for the carbonation to reduce so I can try the stuff. so what do you think guys should I refrigerate the stuff? It seems that a sparkling wine would be better cold. or do you think I should age it longer? my best guess is just to get a taste. but your opinion is what I truly want! Happy Thanksgiving HBT!

Old 11-24-2011, 01:59 PM   #25
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Brew View Post
I tried some of this wine months ago and super surprisingly It tasted good only a few months old! so gave some to a co worker and i drank the rest. but I have kept one bottle stored away in a 360 vodka flip top bottle. and decided to save It till thanks giving. well wile getting the food ready this morning me and my wife decided to taste the wine. I flipped the top and pop apparently when I had thought this stuff had finished fermentation this stuff is carbonated! I flipped the top back down and I had been burping it. looks like I have dew berry champagne for thanksgiving! I cant wait for the carbonation to reduce so I can try the stuff. so what do you think guys should I refrigerate the stuff? It seems that a sparkling wine would be better cold. or do you think I should age it longer? my best guess is just to get a taste. but your opinion is what I truly want!
I like carbonated wines chilled, and the blackberry wine is really nice chilled rather than room temperature anyway.

We're having blackberry wine and crabapple wine (both, since we couldn't pick one!) for Thanksgiving dinner today.

Old 11-24-2011, 02:03 PM   #26
Texas_Brew
Recipes 

Awesome Thank you so much yoop! Happy Turkey Day! I just put it in the refrigerator I have been Burping it every once in a wile hoping to get a taste. this will be a great treat to go with our feast im also making a dewberry cobbler

Old 11-27-2011, 05:46 PM   #27
llamabox
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I made a gallon of this recently with added blueberries I got free from work. At least this is the recipe I followed...kinda.

OG was 1.075. Primary at 70 for 14 days measured SG at 0.994. Racked to secondary and dropped to 65deg today. Taste test, seems to be the most dry thing I have ever made. Here's hoping for good aging.

Old 06-21-2012, 11:46 PM   #28
IXVolt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 76

I'm going to give this a shot in the fall. Sounds amazing.

Old 08-28-2012, 09:08 PM   #29
damdaman
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts

I have a question about volume in primary fermentation with this recipe. I am going picking this weekend and want to make a 5gal batch of this. So it will be 20lbs of blackberries + 4gal 3pints of water.

I have a bucket that I can use for fermentation that's about 8.5gals (this would be filling it totally to the rim, no air room at all). Will this be large enough for 20lbs of berries and over 4 gals of water, or do I need a larger vessel?

Old 08-29-2012, 12:20 PM   #30
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by damdaman View Post
I have a question about volume in primary fermentation with this recipe. I am going picking this weekend and want to make a 5gal batch of this. So it will be 20lbs of blackberries + 4gal 3pints of water.

I have a bucket that I can use for fermentation that's about 8.5gals (this would be filling it totally to the rim, no air room at all). Will this be large enough for 20lbs of berries and over 4 gals of water, or do I need a larger vessel?
I'd just add water up to my volume (or a bit past) and then top up more later when putting it in the carboy.

Quick Reply