Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wine > Banana Wine

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2010, 11:00 PM   #71
robtotten
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I don't know, man. I think if you're going to put two years into something that it's worth the extra few bucks for champagne yeast

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2010, 11:44 PM   #72
DavidSteel
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by robtotten View Post
I don't know, man. I think if you're going to put two years into something that it's worth the extra few bucks for champagne yeast
I made all my wine with glorious Fleischmanns baking yeast and they all turned out awesome. Fleischmanns gives it an extra sweet/fruity/tang flavor which is great in Blueberry Wine particularly. But the extra flavor is not so prevalent in lighter wines (besides it being a bit more sweet). And no, the sweetness is not from unfermented sugars (that had the capabilities to be fermented). I can get my wines up to 16% with Fleischmanns.

But I only make wine because I can do it for free. If there is some leftover, old, or unwanted fruit, I just take it and make wine with it. I don't really care for wine, so I don't worry about how long it takes. It's a bit of work racking it and keeping an eye on it, but nothing worth complaining over.

I have about 14 gallons of wine (14 1-gallon batches) that have been sitting for about 1-2 years that I still haven't bottled. Too cheap/lazy to buy a corker and some corks. Yeahhhhh
Bottled: Ó Flannagáin Standard, Random Stout, Nut Brown, Edwort's Rye IPA, Milk Stout + Coffee Milk Stout, Centennial Blonde, Pale Ale, Cthulhu Dementia Robust Porter, Nyarlathotep (I)IIPA, Willamette IPA parti-gyle, Indian Brown Ale, Oatmeal Stout, Blueberry Oatmeal Stout, Barely Legal IIPA, Oatmeal Stout 2, Hazelnut Coffee Oatmeal Stout
Planned: RIS, Coconut Porter

Old 06-12-2010, 01:30 AM   #73
marcelo
Recipes 

Likes Given: 8

The wine or champagne yeast is hard to find here in brazil, thats wy i dont have it, im thinking to order some in my next on line shop. btw, those things i order fror USA its a lot more cheap tham by from local HBS.
and tks for the help, i will try with some bread yeast, my uncle have a banana farm and i what to try before tell him its possible to do.

Old 08-23-2010, 10:12 AM   #74
arrowgin
Recipes 

So im almost a year down in the bottle... one more year to go

Old 08-24-2010, 09:42 AM   #75
oldmate
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I just read through this whole thread, definitely will have to get started on this ASAP!

Old 09-15-2010, 07:22 PM   #76
redskin
Recipes 

Default Yoopers wine

We made one gallon of this wine at first it looked like something moped up from the floor.now its this clear golden color.its going to sit in the jug for months.thanks.

Old 09-25-2010, 04:22 AM   #77
floyd336
Recipes 

I started my banana wine about a year ago, and it now ready to be bottled. Should I bulk age it for a while longer or bottle it now? I always seem to get a bit of sediment in every wine I make. I don't usually use sparkaloid, because I always wonder if it takes away the flavor.

Old 09-25-2010, 04:23 AM   #78
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 3855 Times on 2816 Posts
Likes Given: 644

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd336 View Post
I started my banana wine about a year ago, and it now ready to be bottled. Should I bulk age it for a while longer or bottle it now? I always seem to get a bit of sediment in every wine I make. I don't usually use sparkaloid, because I always wonder if it takes away the flavor.
If it's still throwing lees, I'd wait. But it you don't have lees after 3-6 months, it's ok to bottle it. My dandelion wine throws lees forever, but the banana wine seems to stop and the wine stays clear without sediment in the bottle.

Old 09-25-2010, 05:26 AM   #79
brewingkitty
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

does it need to be in a dark place??

"Damn ye, yellow-bellied sapsuckers; I'm a better man than all of ye milksops put together" - Blackbeard

"...I have really good sex moves; that I learned in China. I'm a sexual tiger; and feed on va-gine-a." - Jon Lajoie

Old 09-25-2010, 06:12 AM   #80
cinderbike
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Wow. I absolutely need to try making a batch of this. Off to get some bananas! I'll see if I can try it with some Ice Cream bananas. They're delicious. When they turn black they have really do taste a bit like vanilla ice cream.

Quick Reply