Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wine > Banana Wine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2014, 03:58 PM   #571
Verratti
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I usually make 5 gallons in a 6 gallon carboy and make an extra gallon for toping up for secondary. This way I end up with just about 6 gallons and don't need to top up to much. But using the raisins will help fill that extra space.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2014, 04:02 PM   #572
LoneTreeFarms
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 49

so can anyone tell me what the difference between golden raisins and regular raisins would contribute to this? is everyone using golden raisins?

Old 03-31-2014, 04:34 PM   #573
Verratti
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well the golden raisins will leave a lighter more golden colour while the regular tends to make it darker. I don't use them because it screws with your initial reading and takes a lot of time for the yeast to chew out the sugar in those raisins. I use concentrated grape juice.

Old 03-31-2014, 05:34 PM   #574
jflongo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I used golden raisins in mine, I put them in during primary fermentation though. I made mine about 2 1/2 months ago, it was so clear you could read a book through it. I just added some sorbate to it yesterday, and gave it a light stir. Now it's a little cloudy again, hopefully in a week it will clear up again, and then I'm going to bottle it.

Go Spartans!!

http://www.youtube.com/MrSparty1995

Old 03-31-2014, 05:59 PM   #575
M4rotku
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atek View Post
I really recommend sourcing some bulk wine, or making some wine just for topping/blending. I have 3 gallons of Viognier that I plan on topping my banana wine with once I get to that point. I have found this to be a very nice topping wine, I'm sure others would suffice as well.
I have both pinot grigio and moscato that I can use to top up. I am wondering, however, since the recipe at this stage calls for adding water to 1 gallon, how much water I should add before filling the rest of the jug with wine. Should I add water to 3/4 of a gallon and then fill the rest with either the pinot grigio or moscato? I don't want to top up entirely with wine and skip the water because that might cause the wine to be too strong, if it is supposed to be diluted to a normal concentration at this point.

Old 03-31-2014, 09:24 PM   #576
Atek
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4rotku View Post
I have both pinot grigio and moscato that I can use to top up. I am wondering, however, since the recipe at this stage calls for adding water to 1 gallon, how much water I should add before filling the rest of the jug with wine. Should I add water to 3/4 of a gallon and then fill the rest with either the pinot grigio or moscato? I don't want to top up entirely with wine and skip the water because that might cause the wine to be too strong, if it is supposed to be diluted to a normal concentration at this point.
Well, I think we'll have to wait for the OP to comment on this to be certain, however in most cases water is simply referenced as the topping medium as it is assumed most will not have available wine to top with. I'd say you could top with either, just depends on whether or not you want slight Pini Gris notes in the wine or the more honey esque flavors of moscato. You could take gravity readings of the wine and use a blending calculator online to determine what the ABV would be if blended with the wine and/or water. (assuming you know that ABV of the wine you're blending in). FermCalc has one such blending calculator. FermCalc Website

"Gaurd your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and out live the bastards."

Old 04-01-2014, 05:26 AM   #577
M4rotku
Recipes 

I might have read the original instructions incorrectly, but it seemed to me as though up until the "add raisins" step, we have only been told to add 6 pints of water so far. This is why I am under the impression that adding water right now would be to achieve the intended volume of 1 gallon. Maybe I read the instructions too literally though and we were supposed to assume that we should add water to make 1 gallon at the very beginning. If so, then me adding that much water (to 1 gallon) now might still be the solution? Maybe?

Sent from my C5155 using Home Brew mobile app

Old 04-07-2014, 03:31 AM   #578
collinsjames1988
Recipes 

Is it ok to rack the wine 3 week early to add the raisins the wine has slowed down almost stopped fermenting and its almost clear

Old 04-19-2014, 09:49 PM   #579
wildman128
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I'm new to wine making I have just completed my batch of this wine and I don't have the grape tannin. Will this be a big deal? I went by the lhbs and it was closed . I will add everything else. Should I get the tannin on Monday and add? Please let me know what you think. Thanks

Old 04-19-2014, 09:53 PM   #580
buzzerj
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Add the tannin later

You can add tannin later in the process, even prior to bottling if you figure you need it for taste.

Quick Reply