Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wine > Banana Wine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2013, 08:46 PM   #351
johnnync
WPW Contractor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 432 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudgonzo View Post
completed 1 week in primary today, will transfer to secondary 1gl glass wine jug this evening; instructions said to pour into secondary (using funnel)....or should i rack using hose and cane? fermentation is slow now.
I would rack it. Not as much sediment.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2013, 02:21 PM   #352
loudgonzo
Recipes 

Default update and help please

Looking for some help please….i transferred this from a bucket to two 1gallon wine jugs, but only filled up 1, and only filled barely ½ of the second one. I doubled the recipe, so I was expecting to have 2 gallons total.
I used hose and racking cane, and filled 1st jug almost to the top, have about 1” of headspace left, mostly liquid, some pulp settled to the bottom of jug.
The 2nd jug was mostly ‘sludge’, there’s maybe 3-4 cups of liquid in this one.

Should i,
1- pour the 2nd jug out and just focus on the 1st one as is
2-distribute evenly between both jugs and leave about 1/3 of headspace in each jug
3-distribute evenly between jugs and add water to leave just a little headspace in each jug (the adding water is supposed to happen 2 months later when adding raisins)

*in a nutshell, when transferring from primary to secondary, are you suppose to fill the secondary to the top, or about 2/3 of the way, which is where I would have ended up if I had distributed evenly between both gallon jugs.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:38 PM   #353
loudgonzo
Recipes 

any thoughts?

Old 03-05-2013, 08:47 PM   #354
dale1038
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I'm just not a huge wine guy. I've only made a few. Most people would say, fill the first vessel all the way up. Find a smallers second vessel for the rest. Wine oxidizes easily, you want no headspace.

Old 03-06-2013, 12:17 AM   #355
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 782

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudgonzo View Post
Looking for some help please….i transferred this from a bucket to two 1gallon wine jugs, but only filled up 1, and only filled barely ½ of the second one. I doubled the recipe, so I was expecting to have 2 gallons total.
I used hose and racking cane, and filled 1st jug almost to the top, have about 1” of headspace left, mostly liquid, some pulp settled to the bottom of jug.
The 2nd jug was mostly ‘sludge’, there’s maybe 3-4 cups of liquid in this one.

Should i,
1- pour the 2nd jug out and just focus on the 1st one as is
2-distribute evenly between both jugs and leave about 1/3 of headspace in each jug
3-distribute evenly between jugs and add water to leave just a little headspace in each jug (the adding water is supposed to happen 2 months later when adding raisins)

*in a nutshell, when transferring from primary to secondary, are you suppose to fill the secondary to the top, or about 2/3 of the way, which is where I would have ended up if I had distributed evenly between both gallon jugs.
4. Fill one all the way up to the top, and then use the rest to fill a wine bottle, a growler, etc, whatever it takes to hold the rest of the wine with no headspace. A stopper can be purchased in homebrew stores that fits growlers/wine bottles/grolsh bottles/beer bottles, with an airlock.

Old 03-06-2013, 06:02 PM   #356
loudgonzo
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
4. Fill one all the way up to the top, and then use the rest to fill a wine bottle, a growler, etc, whatever it takes to hold the rest of the wine with no headspace. A stopper can be purchased in homebrew stores that fits growlers/wine bottles/grolsh bottles/beer bottles, with an airlock.
thanks!

Old 03-08-2013, 05:55 PM   #357
HopHeaven
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Been watching this thread for a while, just been waiting to move out of the current apartment so I have the time that this drink requires. Can't wait!

Secondary: Skeeter Pee, Cyser, Tree Sap Cider,

Drinking: Milk Mead, Apfelwein, Grape Mead, Cranberry Pomegranate Cider, Cherry Berry Cider

Future: Strawberry/ Raspberry Cider , Apple Ginger Cider

Old 03-12-2013, 04:30 AM   #358
BattleGoat
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I'm not familiar with wine production so this may be an epically stupid question, but: were I to omit the acid blend and grape tannin from the recipe, how would that affect the final product? I'm thinking it would simply cause it to come off a bit sweeter/fruitier and not have as much of that wine "tang" to it, but I wanted to make sure. Both ingredients are cheap, but I have literally *everything* else I need already on hand, so if I can just throw this all together without spending any money or sacrificing any quality in the process, that would be awesome.

Thanks!

I like my beer like I like my women: Rich, intoxicating, and slightly bitter. :D

Old 03-16-2013, 07:21 PM   #359
KBentley57
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 8

If you leave out the acid, it may taste "dull". The acid give it a little more of a bite on your tounge; think about how milk is smooth, and orange juice is "grabby". The tannins probably help the wine clear more than anything, so you may just need to use some bentonite in the future.

Old 03-22-2013, 11:46 AM   #360
BattleGoat
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Good to know, thanks for the info.

I like my beer like I like my women: Rich, intoxicating, and slightly bitter. :D

Quick Reply