Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wine > Banana Wine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2013, 02:01 PM   #341
loudgonzo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
BANANA WINE (2) [Heavy Bodied]

Slice bananas into thin discs, leaving skins on fruit. Put into grain-bag, tie top, and place in 6 pints water. Bring to boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 30 minutes. Remove grain-bag to bowl to catch drippings while pouring liquor over sugar in primary fermentation vessel and stirring well to dissolve sugar. Add acid blend, pectic enzyme and tannin, stirring again. When grain-bag cools, squeeze to extract as much liquid as possible and add liquid and drippings to liquor, discarding pulp. When liquor cools to 70 degrees fahrenheit, add yeast and nutrient. Cover and set in warm place for seven days, stirring daily. Pour into secondary fermentation vessel, fit airlock, and move to cooler place, leaving undisturbed for two months. Siphon off sediment, add chopped raisins, and add water to bring to one gallon. Ferment another four months. Rack and allow to clear. Rack again and bottle. May taste after six months, but matures at two years. [Adapted from passed-on recipe, source unknown, taken from Jack Keller's site]

what is a good primary fermenting vessel to use? What do you cover the primary with? and what is a good secondary? Only the secondary needs an airlock?

thanks,

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2013, 06:22 PM   #342
WesleyS
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2631 Times on 1707 Posts
Likes Given: 359

It really depends on how much you're making. I made 4 gallons so I used a 5 gallon bucket as a primary with just the normal lid. When you rack to secondary, carboys or 1 gallon glass jugs with an airlock work good. Just make sure you have very little headspace in secondary.

Long story short, Beer.

Old 01-30-2013, 07:42 PM   #343
loudgonzo
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesleyS View Post
It really depends on how much you're making. I made 4 gallons so I used a 5 gallon bucket as a primary with just the normal lid. When you rack to secondary, carboys or 1 gallon glass jugs with an airlock work good. Just make sure you have very little headspace in secondary.
ok thanks, would i need to plug the airlock grommet hole? or add an airlock to primary?

Old 01-30-2013, 07:58 PM   #344
WesleyS
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2631 Times on 1707 Posts
Likes Given: 359

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudgonzo

ok thanks, would i need to plug the airlock grommet hole? or add an airlock to primary?
Personally, I would just cover or plug the hole and just sit the lid on top of the bucket without snapping it down for those first seven days before transferring to secondary.

Long story short, Beer.

Old 02-03-2013, 04:15 PM   #345
KBentley57
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I'm just tasting some of this that I made back in september, and its very nice. It's sweet, refreshing, crystal clear, and a good recipe! I think I ended up using about 5 lbs of banana per gallon, and it came to ~ 14%. It doesn't have the burn of alcohol that some do either. The wife "likes" it, and she doesn't like any alcohol, period. It's a winner. Now to source 30 lbs of bananas..

The 1 gallon rage is hitting me now. These 5 bottles are going to set for a while longer, but I don't think they'll make it past summer.

Old 02-09-2013, 06:48 PM   #346
Swifty
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 60

I needed to top up another wine so why not that banana that won't ever seem to get right. Just because I have to, I tried it. At 10 months, it's very nice. I decided to use something else to top up!

Patience is the worst! I don't have it but, this craft is helping me to develop it. Give it time guys n gals; it'll come around. Thanks for the recipe Yooper.

Brewing up a better quote!

Old 02-19-2013, 07:41 PM   #347
cardtarget
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hey guys, so I'm three months in after racking onto my raisins. Looks great, but I'm a little worried that I never got much bubbling after racking over the raisins. I used a champagne yeast and the current gravity is 1.001.

Gave it a quick taste... wine like. No taste of banana. But it sure looks pretty.

Is that an approximately correct gravity? or should I be below 1 by now? Any suggestions or just wait and see in a month when I rack it?

Old 02-19-2013, 09:08 PM   #348
damlamb
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardtarget View Post
Hey guys, so I'm three months in after racking onto my raisins. Looks great, but I'm a little worried that I never got much bubbling after racking over the raisins. I used a champagne yeast and the current gravity is 1.001.

Gave it a quick taste... wine like. No taste of banana. But it sure looks pretty.

Is that an approximately correct gravity? or should I be below 1 by now? Any suggestions or just wait and see in a month when I rack it?
I am having a similar issue, I've been on the raisins for a month and no activity. I pitched some more champagne yeast that I made a starter with first and still no luck.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:06 PM   #349
Rocky71
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Any particular wine yeast you like with this recipe?

Old 03-04-2013, 07:16 PM   #350
loudgonzo
Recipes 

Default transfering to secondary...

completed 1 week in primary today, will transfer to secondary 1gl glass wine jug this evening; instructions said to pour into secondary (using funnel)....or should i rack using hose and cane? fermentation is slow now.

Quick Reply