Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wine > Banana Wine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2013, 01:28 AM   #331
LabRatBrewer
Lost in a Maze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 765 Times on 529 Posts
Likes Given: 1267

Mine's 11 months old...My son went from 0 - 9 years old in like ten minutes...this wine is taking FOREVER to turn 2. I like the wait. I should brew another batch in case its awesome.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 12:38 PM   #332
TedLarsen
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

I'm a little -- but only a little -- bit concerned about my batch of banana wine. I made 3 gallons. It's a little over two weeks old now (been in the secondary for, like, 9 days), and I've never seen an alcohol continue to be so active after this much time. Airlock is bubbling maybe 6 or 7 times minute.

The wine is not very clear yet, although there is a large (and I mean large) layer of (very loose) sediment in the bottom.

I think I'm simply going to follow the directions to a T, and leave it alone in its happy dark place for the allotted two months....but it seems a little off from others experience here. The lack of clarity, the amount of sediment, the high activity.....any thoughts about what, if anything, I should do?

Old 01-21-2013, 01:48 PM   #333
thadeus_d3
Recipes 

Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedLarsen View Post
I'm a little -- but only a little -- bit concerned about my batch of banana wine. I made 3 gallons. It's a little over two weeks old now (been in the secondary for, like, 9 days), and I've never seen an alcohol continue to be so active after this much time. Airlock is bubbling maybe 6 or 7 times minute.

The wine is not very clear yet, although there is a large (and I mean large) layer of (very loose) sediment in the bottom.

I think I'm simply going to follow the directions to a T, and leave it alone in its happy dark place for the allotted two months....but it seems a little off from others experience here. The lack of clarity, the amount of sediment, the high activity.....any thoughts about what, if anything, I should do?
The first batch that I made was similar. Airlock activity was a bit longer than most of the wines that I've made and it seemed like a quarter of the carboy was filled with sediment. On an unrelated note, are you from Strongsville, Ohio? If so, we are neighbors. I live in Brooklyn, OH.

When I racked the banana wine last week (after 4 months), the wine tasted incredible. It had a strong banana aroma and flavor. It was very hot, which I expected. It was so good, that I started another batch yesterday! I made a huge mess in the kitchen. It may be time to invest in a turkey fryer.
banana.jpg  

Old 01-22-2013, 12:40 PM   #334
TedLarsen
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

Yup, I'm in beautiful downtown Strongsville -- and I work in Brooklyn!

Nice to meetcha.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:14 PM   #335
damlamb
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I made a couple batches of this back in November and last week I racked them into the raisins. I havnt noticed any signs of fermentation after about 8 days of adding raisins. Would you suggest pitching some fresh yeast or waiting it out? I know a hydrometer reading is the only way to know for sure its fermenting but I havnt found a beaker tall enough for my hydrometer to float in without hitting the bottom in the dry end of the scale. Does anyone have suggestions for taking hydrometer measurements after your brew is in a sealed carboy with minimal risk of infection and wastage.

Old 01-25-2013, 09:54 AM   #336
dougen
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yaa its called a wine thief..easy to get wine and take a reading

keep em cuming every ten minutes or just give me the bottle

Old 01-25-2013, 01:18 PM   #337
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1947 Times on 1408 Posts
Likes Given: 1064

Quote:
Originally Posted by damlamb View Post
I made a couple batches of this back in November and last week I racked them into the raisins. I havnt noticed any signs of fermentation after about 8 days of adding raisins. Would you suggest pitching some fresh yeast or waiting it out? I know a hydrometer reading is the only way to know for sure its fermenting but I havnt found a beaker tall enough for my hydrometer to float in without hitting the bottom in the dry end of the scale. Does anyone have suggestions for taking hydrometer measurements after your brew is in a sealed carboy with minimal risk of infection and wastage.
Uh-oh...

This sounds familiar.

Old 01-25-2013, 01:59 PM   #338
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
Uh-oh...

This sounds familiar.
LOL...No matter what the liquid inside the fermenter, the questions are the same. Have you seen all the "My cider's not carbed yet" threads? Or the "Should I rack my mead to secondary?"

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-25-2013, 07:43 PM   #339
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1947 Times on 1408 Posts
Likes Given: 1064

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
LOL...No matter what the liquid inside the fermenter, the questions are the same. Have you seen all the "My cider's not carbed yet" threads? Or the "Should I rack my mead to secondary?"

NO I mean I had a batch of banana wine that stopped as soon as the raisins were added. I could NOT get that sucker started up again! I finally ended up dumping it.

Multiple yeast pitches and lots of patience for nought.

Old 01-26-2013, 01:50 AM   #340
damlamb

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I wonder if the sulfites in the raisins are the reason? I got these at bulk barn and suspect they were high in sulfites. I hope I won't have to dump it, the sample I tasted when I racked it was pretty good.

Quick Reply