Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wine > Banana Wine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2012, 02:06 AM   #301
TNGabe
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2153 Times on 1458 Posts
Likes Given: 2126

I'm sorry if this has been addressed, but this is a giant thread and I didn't go through it all. Is this recipe along the lines of a traditional African banana wine? I went to a friend's house to hang out while he was brewing and the short story is he killed and butchered a couple goats while I was there and one of the guys who came by started talking about banana wine. He didn't know too much about how his dad makes it, but this sounds close and like a fun beverage for parties and such. Banana wine wassail?

Why spend 5 minutes reading when you can just start another thread?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2012, 07:01 PM   #302
wolverinebrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
It was very easy. I used a funnel to pour (carefully as I could) into each bottle and capped with beer caps. I had two clear bottles a few regulars, and one kind of rounded (Orval??) bottle that looks pretty cool.

I'll pass some around on New Years Eve party when we all get together and get happy. The ladies can tell me what they think. My wife already mentioned that it has lost a lot of the heat it had this spring.

I was just bummed at the lack of banana flavor. I really expected some subtle flavor after I tasted at the last racking. Not sure what is wrong.
It seems odd you lost some flavor. I bottled up 1 gal. batches of banana and rhubarb today as both were 13 and 14 months. The banana was still a little hot but not bad (decent flavor). I'll let it age awhile longer.
The rhubarb had good flavor also but was dry. I like dry wines so I think I will like that one.

Yooper, at what age were the last batches of banana that you were referring to that had the good flavor? I know you said it takes 2 years to come into it's own but it's getting good now.

Old 12-17-2012, 08:53 PM   #303
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4343 Times on 3158 Posts
Likes Given: 845

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolverinebrewer View Post
It seems odd you lost some flavor. I bottled up 1 gal. batches of banana and rhubarb today as both were 13 and 14 months. The banana was still a little hot but not bad (decent flavor). I'll let it age awhile longer.
The rhubarb had good flavor also but was dry. I like dry wines so I think I will like that one.

Yooper, at what age were the last batches of banana that you were referring to that had the good flavor? I know you said it takes 2 years to come into it's own but it's getting good now.
I think it was best at 2 years, and didn't go downhill at all before it was gone.

Old 12-19-2012, 01:04 AM   #304
Titan88
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 101

Default Offensive Smell

So, I made this banana wine yesterday. I got it out today to stir it and it smells foul! Has this happened to anyone else? If so, any suggestions?

Old 12-19-2012, 01:09 AM   #305
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan88 View Post
So, I made this banana wine yesterday. I got it out today to stir it and it smells foul! Has this happened to anyone else? If so, any suggestions?
"Foul"? No, it shouldn't smell foul at all. That worries me. Did you make it exactly according to the directions?

Old 12-19-2012, 01:12 AM   #306
Titan88
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I did. I'm not sure if I put too much yeast (if that's possible) or if something else was off. It was bubbling like crazy yesterday when I made it. I got up this morning and had to clean up the carboy and airlock because of the foam. I got it out a little bit ago to stir it and it smells horrible. I'm 100% it's me and nothing to do with the recipe. I just can't figure out what.

Old 12-19-2012, 01:19 AM   #307
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
I did. I'm not sure if I put too much yeast (if that's possible) or if something else was off. It was bubbling like crazy yesterday when I made it. I got up this morning and had to clean up the carboy and airlock because of the foam. I got it out a little bit ago to stir it and it smells horrible. I'm 100% it's me and nothing to do with the recipe. I just can't figure out what.
What's the temperature? It sounds really hot to be coming out of the airlock!

Old 12-19-2012, 01:27 AM   #308
Titan88
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

The ambient temp hovers around 69. I read that too much yeast and not enough nutrients can lead to the must being skunked. I also just checked my mead as a precaution. It's skunked too. I'm not really sure what happened, but they both stink.

Old 12-19-2012, 01:33 AM   #309
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
The ambient temp hovers around 69. I read that too much yeast and not enough nutrients can lead to the must being skunked. I also just checked my mead as a precaution. It's skunked too. I'm not really sure what happened, but they both stink.
Add some more nutrients to both right away! Stir it up, and see if you can get rid of some of the sulfur smell.

Old 12-19-2012, 01:35 AM   #310
Titan88
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Should I try to aerate as well? And how much nutrient? I don't want to go overboard. I used a whole packet of EC-1118 for a gallon batch.

Quick Reply