Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wine > Banana Wine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2012, 03:31 PM   #201
WesleyS
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2614 Times on 1694 Posts
Likes Given: 359

This thread caught my attention about a week ago, so I decided to put this on my list of things to make next. Well, now I'm committed. I just picked up 15 lbs of perfect over ripe bananas at a farmers market. Can't wait to try it.

Long story short, Beer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2012, 09:03 AM   #202
wickerman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I made a 5 gallon batch, any idea around how much wine I'll need to top off with to replace the 5lbs of raisins?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
I've used sauvignon blanc and pinot grigio with good results.

Yes.

Old 05-16-2012, 07:02 PM   #203
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1900 Times on 1371 Posts
Likes Given: 1045

Hey...

I racked my second batch (4 gallons) onto 4 lbs of raisins and nothing happened. So I poured a packet of wine yeast on top.

Still nothing...

I'm tempted to rehydrate another packet and try again, but before I do I wondered if there was something stupid I'm not thinking of. There is no airlock activity (glass carboy and stopper with S airlock) and not bubbles rising, no "krausen" (or whatever the wine equivalent is) or anything. The yeast seems to have dropped down on top of the raisins in a small patch.

I kind of expected this thing to start up again like crazy. I bought the yeast back in November IIRC and it's been stored in a fridge the whole time.

Old 05-16-2012, 11:31 PM   #204
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickerman View Post
I made a 5 gallon batch, any idea around how much wine I'll need to top off with to replace the 5lbs of raisins?
No clues- I never measured or noticed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
Hey...

I racked my second batch (4 gallons) onto 4 lbs of raisins and nothing happened. So I poured a packet of wine yeast on top.

Still nothing...

I'm tempted to rehydrate another packet and try again, but before I do I wondered if there was something stupid I'm not thinking of. There is no airlock activity (glass carboy and stopper with S airlock) and not bubbles rising, no "krausen" (or whatever the wine equivalent is) or anything. The yeast seems to have dropped down on top of the raisins in a small patch.

I kind of expected this thing to start up again like crazy. I bought the yeast back in November IIRC and it's been stored in a fridge the whole time.
It's possible that you've reached the yeast strain's alcohol tolerance. What have your SG readings been?

Old 05-17-2012, 12:05 PM   #205
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
No clues- I never measured or noticed.

It's possible that you've reached the yeast strain's alcohol tolerance. What have your SG readings been?
I have no idea. I wasn't planning on taking a reading until the raisins started finishing up. The last batch chugged through so well I figured it would be fine. It's entirely possible that this yeast has a lower limit. I *Think* I used Montrachet for the first batch, and this stuff is Cotes De Blanc.

Hopefully I'll get a few minutes this weekend to play with it. I gotta bust out the hydrometer for my IPA when I add dry hops and I want to check the IIPA that has stalled before I rack to a Fire Extinguisher and add Brett.

Old 05-17-2012, 05:00 PM   #206
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Well I took a reading at lunch. The hydrometer says 1.000. Too bad I don't know what the OG was. I kind of just threw the stuff in a bucket and let it rip.

On the plus side, it didn't taste too bad at all. Lightly sweet and with enough tartness to balance well. I'm not really a wine guy, but I could probably drink it as it is.

Old 05-18-2012, 11:26 PM   #207
WesleyS
Recipes 

Bananas are simmering as I type. The house smells great. I can't believe I'll have to wait 2 years to drink the finished product, but I have a feeling it will be well worth it.

Long story short, Beer.

Old 05-19-2012, 12:51 AM   #208
Chuckabrewski
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesleyS
Bananas are simmering as I type. The house smells great. I can't believe I'll have to wait 2 years to drink the finished product, but I have a feeling it will be well worth it.
How many bananas did it take you to meet the required amount? I only asked because I have a bunch of frozen bananas and no scale

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."
-Frank Sinatra

Old 05-19-2012, 12:57 AM   #209
WesleyS
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckabrewski

How many bananas did it take you to meet the required amount? I only asked because I have a bunch of frozen bananas and no scale
I'm sorry, I wish I could help you out, but I didn't count them. I'm doing a 4 gallon batch. If I was just doing a one gallon batch I would probably remember, but after chopping 15 lbs of bananas I have not even a guess as to how many you would need. Sorry about that.

Long story short, Beer.

Old 05-19-2012, 01:37 AM   #210
Chuckabrewski
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Lol thanks anyways

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."
-Frank Sinatra

Quick Reply