Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wine > Banana Wine

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2011, 02:49 PM   #131
NerdyMarie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Wow! The progression on this wine is unbelievable!

Going from the dishwater look to clarification wasn't gradual at all. It went from dishwater to clear with a thin layer of sediment in the course of less than a week!

Wines in Primary: Lychee, Pomegranate, Fig, Rose Hip, Iced tea "wine", Ginger tea, Cuties Mead 2.0, Date Melomel

Wines in Secondary: Mango Pulp 2.1, Frankenstein, Cranberry-Cuties Holiday, Pear, Mint, Bochet, Banana

Wines Bottled: Cranberry, Lemon, Mango 1.0, Mixed Fruit, Strawberry, Lingonberry, Lingonberry-Blueberry, Cuties Mead, Watermelon 1.0, Watermelon 2.0, Pear Mead, Mixed Berry, Cherry, Cantaloupe, Blueberry

Kegged: Apple Cider

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2011, 11:21 PM   #132
sockozz
Recipes 

Today is the one year anniversary of making my first batch of this banana wine. I stole a little sample of it from the fermenter today, and I must say this is some great tasting wine. It is still a little rocket fueley at this point but there is a definite banana flavor with some residual sweetness and like so many before me have said, it went from cloudy mop water to crystal clear in no time. The difference is astounding. After racking so many times there is no more sediment so I plan on bottling it soon. After it is bottled I can't wait to see how it tastes in another year!

Old 08-08-2011, 12:37 PM   #133
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 3874 Times on 2829 Posts
Likes Given: 648

Thanks for reporting back! We're out of this wine, and I keep thinking I'm going to start a new batch, but I just keep waiting for bananas to go on sale. Darn it- I should just buy the bananas and get started already, when I read these posts and remember how much we love this wine!

Old 08-08-2011, 08:26 PM   #134
Xcorpia
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yooper
thanks for reporting back! We're out of this wine, and i keep thinking i'm going to start a new batch, but i just keep waiting for bananas to go on sale. Darn it- i should just buy the bananas and get started already, when i read these posts and remember how much we love this wine!
+1

Old 08-08-2011, 08:45 PM   #135
Smburnette
Recipes 

I foresee this in the close future!

Old 08-10-2011, 03:00 PM   #136
Four
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So i read this entire thread yesterday, and I was inspired. . . Although i dont think it's technically a wine anymore, maybe something of a braggot? If anyone has an idea of what to call this feel free to let me know. . . Also this is my first post^^.

Pictures of the brewing day are in a link at the bottom

Ingredients

• 3.3lbs of Hefe-Extract (wheat!)
  • ~20lbs of Banana
  • 3lbs of Honey
  • 3lbs of Raisins
  • .5 gallon Apple Juice (the starter)
  • 6oz Hopps (Local hops grown by a local homebrewer)
  • EC-1118 (yaay)

Recipe
Boil 3 galons of water. Bring down the heat to below simmer. Mix in Hefe-Extract for a few minutes, then put the hopps in a bag and put them into the wort, turn the heat back up to a simmer. Leave hop-bag in for 15-20min, then throw it out, crash-cool the wort. Toss all that in the brewing bucket. Take bananas, toss into large pot on the stove, turn the heat WAY up, mash the **** out a the banana. I had to actually do this tree times, because i had so much banana. . which led to me having to much liquid in the primary, i had like 6.3 gallons in a 6.5 gallon bucket, in the future i'd make a 1.5-2gallon wort to compensate. Take the banana pure and pour on top of wort, then pitch yeast. The 3lbs of honey and 3lbs of raisins are going to go into the secondary.

I woke up this morning to a mess, because i tried to use a bubbler (I was tired!) so i cleaned up all the banana / krausen that was on the floor, and added a blowoff tube, hopy crap the thing is bubbling like mad!

Pictures!

Old 08-16-2011, 12:45 PM   #137
WIMARIPA
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I like the idea of a banana braggot. Were those hops fresh/ wet? Otherwise that seems like a lot of hops for something where I would want the banana and wheat to shine through.

Old 08-17-2011, 10:19 AM   #138
oldmate
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Four, I don't understand what fermentables other than the banana are going to be in your primary? As soon as you add the honey in it will just take off again and might strip some taste of the bananas out?

P.s. I'm so happy I started this in Sept. last year, the floods in QLD have raised banana prices sky high, almost $14 a kg. I bought 7 kg for $14 almost this time last year

Secondary:

Bottled: JAOM, Amber Ale

Old 08-18-2011, 02:10 AM   #139
Four
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmate View Post
Four, I don't understand what fermentables other than the banana are going to be in your primary? As soon as you add the honey in it will just take off again and might strip some taste of the bananas out?

P.s. I'm so happy I started this in Sept. last year, the floods in QLD have raised banana prices sky high, almost $14 a kg. I bought 7 kg for $14 almost this time last year
3.3lbs of wheat extract. Honestly I meant to have the honey in there as well but it got to unmanageable. There is a loot of banana though, since I didn't just seep it, I left them all in

Old 08-20-2011, 09:43 PM   #140
docubus
Recipes 

According to your instructions, Yooper, you don't top off with water immediately? Am I reading that correctly?

Quick Reply