Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wine > Banana Wine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2011, 01:53 AM   #111
Xcorpia
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Hey oldmate: Interesting mods!

I'm going to make this wine in the very near future. I hope the banana flavor and nose come out very strong. Bananas are one of my favorite fruit.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2011, 09:46 AM   #112
Justibone
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 69

IIRC, the reason for the raisins was body.

Old 03-03-2011, 08:28 PM   #113
oldmate
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If I use raisins now, is it too late? It probably won't ferment again.

Old 03-04-2011, 09:55 AM   #114
Justibone
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 69

I don't know.

Old 03-04-2011, 10:00 PM   #115
oldmate
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Might as well chuck some in, it can't hurt. (and it has started fermenting again, FML)

Old 03-28-2011, 01:57 PM   #116
NerdyMarie
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Well, this thread inspired us - put on about 7 gallons of this yesterday afternoon.

Well, we really screwed with the recipe, so I guess "7 gallons of something sorta like this, we hope"!

The whole brew room smells like banana bread. Yum! Too bad I'm allergic to wheat, I make awesome banana bread, and now we're craving it something FIERCE.

bananawine.jpg  

Wines in Primary: Lychee, Pomegranate, Fig, Rose Hip, Iced tea "wine", Ginger tea, Cuties Mead 2.0, Date Melomel

Wines in Secondary: Mango Pulp 2.1, Frankenstein, Cranberry-Cuties Holiday, Pear, Mint, Bochet, Banana

Wines Bottled: Cranberry, Lemon, Mango 1.0, Mixed Fruit, Strawberry, Lingonberry, Lingonberry-Blueberry, Cuties Mead, Watermelon 1.0, Watermelon 2.0, Pear Mead, Mixed Berry, Cherry, Cantaloupe, Blueberry

Kegged: Apple Cider

Old 04-02-2011, 05:10 AM   #117
oldmate
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Looks good! Mine was so much darker and mop-water looking!

Secondary:

Bottled: JAOM, Amber Ale

Old 04-02-2011, 01:06 PM   #118
NerdyMarie
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I changed the technique up a bit, and I cut bananas FAST (pastry chef)... so they didn't have much time to brown. I figure the browning has to be a big contributor to the darker color. Also, ours were just ripe, not overripe like I was hoping.

What resulted - before yeast - was something that I bet would make some great, if ugly, banana daiquiris!

We did add a couple big scoops of banana mush to the primary, and THAT is floating and blackened. The liquid under it looks like the photo above, though.

Wines in Primary: Lychee, Pomegranate, Fig, Rose Hip, Iced tea "wine", Ginger tea, Cuties Mead 2.0, Date Melomel

Wines in Secondary: Mango Pulp 2.1, Frankenstein, Cranberry-Cuties Holiday, Pear, Mint, Bochet, Banana

Wines Bottled: Cranberry, Lemon, Mango 1.0, Mixed Fruit, Strawberry, Lingonberry, Lingonberry-Blueberry, Cuties Mead, Watermelon 1.0, Watermelon 2.0, Pear Mead, Mixed Berry, Cherry, Cantaloupe, Blueberry

Old 04-02-2011, 01:11 PM   #119
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4480 Times on 3260 Posts
Likes Given: 870

Quote:
Originally Posted by NerdyMarie View Post
I changed the technique up a bit, and I cut bananas FAST (pastry chef)... so they didn't have much time to brown. I figure the browning has to be a big contributor to the darker color. Also, ours were just ripe, not overripe like I was hoping.

What resulted - before yeast - was something that I bet would make some great, if ugly, banana daiquiris!

We did add a couple big scoops of banana mush to the primary, and THAT is floating and blackened. The liquid under it looks like the photo above, though.
Sounds great! Well, except for the "floating and blackened" part.

I hope bananas go on sale cheap again- when I did this recipe the last time, overripe bananas were $.19/cents a pound. We finished the last bottle of this a few months ago, I believe.

Not only did we like the wine, it was a great "top up" wine for other wines. It has a banana nose, but blended well with concord grape, rhubarb, etc for topping up. It provided some body, but no real color, and I think I'd make it again just to have it for topping up even if I didn't enjoy drinking it!

Old 04-02-2011, 01:15 PM   #120
NerdyMarie
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Eh, the floating and blackened is fine - our whole brew room smells like banana bread!

We'll be racking off the bananas this weekend, I'll take a pic when we get it into the carboys

Quick Reply