Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wine > Banana Wine

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2010, 01:14 AM   #101
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3858 Times on 2819 Posts
Likes Given: 644

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy View Post
so i made this in march of this year, in between moving my house, school and starting a new job all i have really done is keep the airlocks full of cheap vodka.
i just realized that my banana wine is still on the golden raisins, so i have only racked it once. what bad can come of it sitting on the raisins for almost a year?
should i add anything when i rack it off the raisins?
It should be fine, as the wine had alcohol in it when it sat on the raisins, so they wouldn't have mold or anything on them. Just rack and top up. And taste!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2010, 01:19 AM   #102
Rowdy
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

ok cool, it is beautiful Cristal clear golden color, i cant wait for a taste of this. i dont have a corker so is it ok if i rack it and wait longer to bottle?

it smells amazing, will post a new pic tomorrow

Cruiscín Lán Grúdlann
In wine there is wisdom, In beer there is freedom, In water there is bacteria.

Old 12-06-2010, 01:22 AM   #103
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 3858 Times on 2819 Posts
Likes Given: 644

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy View Post
ok cool, it is beautiful Cristal clear golden color, i cant wait for a taste of this. i dont have a corker so is it ok if i rack it and wait longer to bottle?

it smells amazing, will post a new pic tomorrow
Yeah, you can wait to bottle. Just make sure you top up with a white wine to keep it "safe"! Since it's been in there a while, I'd probably crush and dissolve one campden tablet per gallon and pour that into the carboy and then rack the wine into it. You can top up with any commercial white wine, if you need to. And you'll probably need to since the raisins take up quite a bit of room!

Old 12-09-2010, 03:34 PM   #104
B0whunt3r
Recipes 

Has any one ever tried this recipe without using the banana peeling?

From what i've read it takes a while to age, some posts say a few years. I also know that seeds and stems can cause off tastes in wine. I don't know if any of you have ever tasted a banana peel but it is very bitter and nasty. My point is that if you take the peel out of the equation it might not take as long to age and can be enjoyed sooner. Or does the peeling add something i'm missing?

Old 12-29-2010, 07:04 AM   #105
weeple2000
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Have any of you been noting the changes in flavor throughout the process? My wine is off the raisins in the carboy. The last time we tasted it the raisins came through quite a bit. Does this change as it ages? Or could it be because I used normal raisins instead of golden ones?

Old 02-10-2011, 03:48 AM   #106
Xcorpia
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hi!

I'm interested in following this recipe, but I am also curious if I can use the pulp of the banana without the peel, just as B0whunt3r asked. Anyone try this?

Thanks!

Old 02-17-2011, 02:40 AM   #107
floyd336
Recipes 

After 15 months, I've just bottled 2 1/2 gallons. I thought it would be much drier than it turned out. I used golden raisins, and never noticed any vigorous fermentation from them. It was just little bubbles for months, then finally slowed to nothing. It's pretty sweet and hot, but does have some good banana flavor. I'm hoping it will mellow and blend some over time.

Old 02-24-2011, 01:40 PM   #108
WIMARIPA
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm going to make a go of it without the peels and with regular raisins, it's just a gallon, I'll let you know how it works out.

Old 03-02-2011, 10:41 PM   #109
oldmate
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Alrighty, I tried this except as a mead. I used about 1.5kg of honey which I figured would be roughly the same as the sugar (a bit more, but whatever). I also left the banana in my primary in a muslin bag for the first few days of fermentation. I started this at the end of Oct/beginning of November and racked into a secondary immediately after fermentation had finished (I like the idea of having a CO2 blanket when racking, the bubbles were still in solution). Instead of adding raisins I added 2 sliced bananas and a clove and let sit until the very last weekend in Febuary (last weekend).

Only just racked it into a tertiary now. It has cleared into a beautiful golden colour, a bit darker than the pictures in this thread but that is probably because of the honey that I used. I tasted and it has come out as a dry white wine with a banana undertone, but lacks any real body for my liking (as well as being a little hot) - both of which will probably age out. Decided to add some spices and backsweeten a bit (didn't know if fermentation would start again - so far it hasn't), so I added a split vanilla bean, a small chunk of nutmeg and 2 crushed cloves as well as backsweetening with raw sugar. Will probably add another banana in to impart more of a banana taste and when I rack it one last time I will backsweeten again with a honey to make it a dessert wine.

All in all, was a fun process watching the wine change from muddy mop water to the beautiful colour it is now and has come out as something that has the potential to be very drinkable!

Also I have some pictures that I took during the whole process. If anyone is interested, I can post!

Old 03-02-2011, 10:52 PM   #110
humann_brewing
More Humann than human
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 308 Times on 306 Posts
Likes Given: 17

this sounds very interesting, might have to give it a try

On tap: #77 Perfect Porter, #78 Mild 1.038 > 1.009, Flanders, RIS, Barleywine
Fermenting: #74 Saison with 3711 #75 Saison with WLP565 + Brett C
Aging: #67 Bareleywine 1.116 11/07/2012, Flanders 2 batches 1.056 and 1.060 12/12/11 and 3/26/12, Smoked Porter 1.063 10/11, pepper RIS 1.088 7/11, Kriek, 1.052 12/11, Berliner Weisse 1.030 9/20/12

Quick Reply