Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wine > Awesome Blueberry Wine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2011, 02:06 PM   #21
THBertson
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Any one willing to give me some helping info???

I am brand new to any type of brewing and have recently acquired cases and cases of Blue Berrys from and overturned Tractor Trailer.
I want to start fermenting. I do not have a lot of funds to work with so I want to make some equipment and need some info. I have enough room in the fridge for a few cases of the Blue Berrys. Can I freeze the rest and still use them to ferment latter?
Please help! I figure I have a day of them sitting in my garage before they will start to spoil!!!
Also what will I need to get started?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2012, 05:00 AM   #22
Goofynewfie
Recipes 

Liked 247 Times on 172 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Started a 1g batch of this , sg was 1.030,seemed a little low so I added about half cup honey since I was out of sugar

You cant always be young but you can always be immature

Old 08-04-2012, 03:08 PM   #23
slant7541
Recipes 

Default Awesome Blueberry Wine - question

Did you find it necessary to put the primary ferment into a larger container. I did this batch in a 2 gal bucket and it "boiled" over. I then transfered it to a 5 gal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pontiusmatt View Post
Here is a Recipe for good repeatable blueberry wine,

Per 2 Gallon Batch:

6 qts BlueBerrys (home grown is what I use)
8 cups sugar
1-1/2 tsp of yeast nutrient
1 pack of lalvin RC-212 yeast
1 camden tablet
splash of lemon concentrate

Mash blue berrys in wine press or pan. Boil berries in 1 gallon of water for 2-6 minutes. Mix sugar into blueberry liquid. Take small sample off pot and let cool. Add yeast nutrient and yeast. Let the yeast slowly work into the solution. when main batch is down to around 90-80 degrees F add yeast mixture. Crush camden tablet and add to mixture. Put wine in Primary fermenter and stir (or shake) twice daily. Ferment for 14 days in primary then transfer to the secondary. Ferment another 7 days then siphon the wine into bottles and rack. If wine is not clear re-rack wine in 10-15 days.

I don't know how long this will last for (can't keep it around for very long it is way to yummy)

Usually produces around 18-22 percent alcohol.

Old 10-05-2012, 01:47 AM   #24
theshoe82
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Just did a 2 gallon batch of this tonight, but instead of actual blueberries I used Wyler's blueberry juice (sold at BJs wholesale club). I used a gallon of the juice with a gallon of water with 6 cups of organic cane sugar and 1LB of honey. I am using Montrachet wine yeast because thats what I had on hand, but I have another 2 gallons planned for tomorrow where I will use the yeast the original recipe calls for. This way I will be able to compare the two.

Old 10-28-2012, 06:56 AM   #25
Goofynewfie
Recipes 

Took a bottle of this to our Thanksgiving party at work, was a big hit everybody liked it and was asking when I was making more. definitely making this again

Old 07-24-2013, 12:46 AM   #26
oceanbrew
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

I just started a batch that I posted in the mead forum, as I wasn't sure where to put it. 5lb blueberries, 10lb sugar, 4 gallons mineral water, 10 teabags and 2 packets of ec1118. I'm going to bottle after 2 weeks to make a sparkling wine. I see this is an older post. So can any of you guys give me some feedback?

2013-07-23_20-06-09_70.jpg  

Old 07-24-2013, 01:42 AM   #27
Goofynewfie
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanbrew View Post
I just started a batch that I posted in the mead forum, as I wasn't sure where to put it. 5lb blueberries, 10lb sugar, 4 gallons mineral water, 10 teabags and 2 packets of ec1118. I'm going to bottle after 2 weeks to make a sparkling wine. I see this is an older post. So can any of you guys give me some feedback?
For a batch that size you should have around 12-15lbs of berries. Also that is alot of sugar, its gonna need alot of aging. Do not bottle after 2 weeks, that yeast +that much sugar = bottle bombs

Old 07-25-2013, 07:15 AM   #28
Sylvanbilly
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanbrew
Hi
Can you tell me where you get the airlock bungs from for this type of bottle please?
Cheers
Bill

Quick Reply