Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wine > Awesome Blueberry Wine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2007, 12:46 AM   #1
pontiusmatt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Awesome Blueberry Wine

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: RC-212
Batch Size (Gallons): 2
Original Gravity: ?
Final Gravity: ?
Boiling Time (Minutes): 5
Color: BLUE
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14 Days at room temp
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 7 Days at room temp

Here is a Recipe for good repeatable blueberry wine,

Per 2 Gallon Batch:

6 qts BlueBerrys (home grown is what I use)
8 cups sugar
1-1/2 tsp of yeast nutrient
1 pack of lalvin RC-212 yeast
1 camden tablet
splash of lemon concentrate

Mash blue berrys in wine press or pan. Boil berries in 1 gallon of water for 2-6 minutes. Mix sugar into blueberry liquid. Take small sample off pot and let cool. Add yeast nutrient and yeast. Let the yeast slowly work into the solution. when main batch is down to around 90-80 degrees F add yeast mixture. Crush camden tablet and add to mixture. Put wine in Primary fermenter and stir (or shake) twice daily. Ferment for 14 days in primary then transfer to the secondary. Ferment another 7 days then siphon the wine into bottles and rack. If wine is not clear re-rack wine in 10-15 days.

I don't know how long this will last for (can't keep it around for very long it is way to yummy)

Usually produces around 18-22 percent alcohol.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2007, 05:23 AM   #2
fairlady
Recipes 

Do you have any idea how much actual juice yield your 6 quarts of blueberries gave? I have a bottle of 100% pure blueberry juice from Trader Joe's I'd like to use in wine making. I was actually thinking I'd like to blend it with a white grape wine (using frozen concentrate) but i'm trying to figure all this out. Was wondering how many quarts of blueberries it takes to yield a fluid ounce bottle?
Thanks
Fairlady

Old 01-19-2008, 04:25 PM   #3
5327echo
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairlady
Do you have any idea how much actual juice yield your 6 quarts of blueberries gave? I have a bottle of 100% pure blueberry juice from Trader Joe's I'd like to use in wine making. I was actually thinking I'd like to blend it with a white grape wine (using frozen concentrate) but i'm trying to figure all this out. Was wondering how many quarts of blueberries it takes to yield a fluid ounce bottle?
Thanks
Fairlady
Yes any info on this??? I would not blend it....I am interested to try the exact thing with that Traders blueberry juice....

Pontiusmatt; Any idea on the yielf from fresh berrys??

Also, did you get your starting SG and finish SG?

Old 03-16-2008, 07:11 PM   #4
KiRbY29869
Recipes 

I've been making wine for a minute now. All I can say is that make sure your juice doesn't have any preservatives and then just check your SG. You dont want it to much higher than 1.110 to start off with. Just add sugar or water to adjust that. Take a little taste at the beginning and if its two weak add more and if its to strong then add some water.

Old 04-11-2008, 07:59 PM   #5
AnotherFinch
Recipes 

Yeah, there's a Trader Joes by my place, and if I can pick up a bottle of blueberry juice and whip out five gallons, that'd be awesome.

No idea yet on how much actual juice I should use, or am I gonna play the guinea pig in a couple weeks? (if so, please offer up some suggestions on how much juice / water / sugar I should use on a five-gallon mix).

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptain_karma
edited for druck spelling

Old 07-02-2008, 01:07 AM   #6
jameswardpeterson
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

does any one have any advice if cote de blancs would work on this? I got a spare pack just sitting around and this looks pretty good.

on deck: future brews suspended for the moment :(...

Old 08-07-2008, 02:43 PM   #7
jay415
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pontiusmatt View Post
1 pack of lalvin RC-212 yeast….
….Usually produces around 18-22 percent alcohol.
Has anyone determined a starting OG for this recipe? I can't see it producing 18-22% alcohol with the yeast used. RC-212 is only rated to 16%. So I am sure there is still a fair amount of residual sugar left behind leaving this wine sweet, but how sweet?

The way I see it, an estimated potential ABV of 18-22% would be an OG of 1.135-1.164. With this yeast only able to produce a possible 16% that would leave a FG of about 1.012-1.041. Both seem very sweet. So either the estimated potential ABV% is off or it’s some potent fruit juice. The OG of the recipe would help a lot to determine how sweet the final product should be considering this recipe. But it seems the OP has not been on since his post. I am going to try something similar but I will be using store bought blueberry juice. I am just trying to figure out how much sugar to add as well. The question is should I just add enough to dry it out, or add more to leave residual sugar and a sweeter wine.

If anyone knows a the OG of the original recipe please post it, Thanks.

Old 08-12-2008, 10:44 PM   #8
Frost
Recipes 

You say you added the yeast mixture THEN put the camden tablet in? Correct me if i'm wrong but won't that just kill the yeast..?

Old 08-13-2008, 12:48 PM   #9
CBBaron

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost View Post
You say you added the yeast mixture THEN put the camden tablet in? Correct me if i'm wrong but won't that just kill the yeast..?
Not the suggested method of adding Campden however wine yeast are sulphite tolerant and so its likely most of them would survive. The Campden should kill most of the other bugs however.

The usual method is to add the Campden to the juice then wait 24 hours and pitch the yeast.

Craig

Old 06-26-2009, 01:11 AM   #10
nathanhall
Recipes 

hey what do you guys think bout this....i found a place that sells fresh blue berries,bout the size of a nickel.really sweet berries,i did this....
for a 1 gallon batch..

1\2 gallon of blueberry (around 5-8 lbs)
4 and 1\2 cups of sugar
usual deal with camden,pectic enzyme,
enough water to make one gallon.
placed berries in nylon sac and tied off,mashed up really good in a kettle.keep nylon sac with mixture.
mixed all and heated enough to dessolve sugar.pitched yeast next day while liquid was close to 70 degree F .
placed nylon sac inside primary. swirl twice a day for 5-7 days. then rack...
I stopped mine at 8%abv. I don't plan on keeping it long.. been tasting it and it is awesome so far. only a month into it.
starting sg. 1.080

Quick Reply