Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wine > Apple Juice Wine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2011, 10:39 PM   #21
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4280 Times on 3119 Posts
Likes Given: 825

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecc97 View Post
I am brand new to wine making and this is the first recipe I tried. I have 5 gallons in the primary. I used EC-1118 Champagne yeast and did not rehydrate it before pitching, just sprinkled it on top. I have the primary airlocked because the instructions that came with my kit said to do that plus we are having a bit of an issue with fruit flies right now. It is 66 degrees in the house and I am only getting one bubble every 45-50 seconds through the airlock. I thought there would be more activity at this point. Is this normal at this stage? Should I remove the airlock and cover with a towel instead?
If fruitflies are an issue, then airlocking is probably your best best. Grab a sanitized something (dowel, spoon, etc) and give it a stir to aerate it a bit. Don't count airlock bubbling as significant- there should be bubbles (like in soda pop) throughout the must. But stirring it will help since you have it airlocked.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2011, 04:25 PM   #22
oats
Recipes 

Also remember that the lower the temperature the slower the fermentation process.

Old 10-29-2011, 11:35 AM   #23
Ecc97
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
If fruitflies are an issue, then airlocking is probably your best best. Grab a sanitized something (dowel, spoon, etc) and give it a stir to aerate it a bit. Don't count airlock bubbling as significant- there should be bubbles (like in soda pop) throughout the must. But stirring it will help since you have it airlocked.
Thanks, Yooper. On the fourth day the fermentation took off under the airlock.
Now I have another question. I made a 5 gallon batch so just multiplied your recipe by 5. Pitched the yeast on 10/20 and racked it last night, 10/28. The initial SG reading was 1.096 and at time of racking it was 1.00. When I got it into the carboy I realized that it holds 6 gallons rather than 5. I had to add a gallon + of water to top it off. I assume this will reduce my ABV by 20%. I added some sugar to boost the ABV because of the dilution and this morning the airlock is bubbling away. Will this cause any unforeseen problems?

Thanks for your help.

Old 10-29-2011, 03:22 PM   #24
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4280 Times on 3119 Posts
Likes Given: 825

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecc97 View Post
Thanks, Yooper. On the fourth day the fermentation took off under the airlock.
Now I have another question. I made a 5 gallon batch so just multiplied your recipe by 5. Pitched the yeast on 10/20 and racked it last night, 10/28. The initial SG reading was 1.096 and at time of racking it was 1.00. When I got it into the carboy I realized that it holds 6 gallons rather than 5. I had to add a gallon + of water to top it off. I assume this will reduce my ABV by 20%. I added some sugar to boost the ABV because of the dilution and this morning the airlock is bubbling away. Will this cause any unforeseen problems?

Thanks for your help.
Well, adding that much water will dilute the apple flavor of the wine, as well as water it down quite a bit. I would have added some apple juice, or some white wine, and not that much water. It'll be pretty thin in the end, I'd guess.

Old 12-09-2011, 01:00 AM   #25
Johny123472
Recipes 

Are you starting this in a bucket or 1 gallon glass jugs?

Old 04-25-2013, 07:27 AM   #26
homeinthewoods
Recipes 

I am still new to wine making and normally use apples and concentrates, but I just completed the first racking of my canned Peach wine. I tasted it just to see and it has no taste of a peach at all. I know it's still very early in the process, but is there something I can do to bring that fruit flavor back because at the moment all I taste is alcohol.

130423_002.jpg  

Old 04-25-2013, 08:04 AM   #27
mike_in_ak
Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 52 Posts

If it works like apple stuff, just kick back and drink something else for a few months. Apple really noticeable pops after a few months. The alcohol blends and mellows, the fruit flavor jumps out.

Old 04-25-2013, 11:21 AM   #28
NEPA-brewer
Recipes 

Yes give it some time for the flavor to take over.If after some time you don't get any flavor you can add some peach juice after you remove some liquid from the carboy. I had the same issue with a strawberry wine.It had to much alcohol and no flavor at all. I waited some time 1-2 months and it didn't change much so I first used a strawberry syrup and let it sit.about 2 months after that I used some 100% strawberry juice. This wine turned out fantastic and I just bottle it last week. Good luck with your Peach wine and keep us updated.

Old 12-03-2013, 07:09 PM   #29
Brewer_Jonathan
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneTreeFarms View Post
quick question yooper, how is this different than the apfelwein that everyone is raving about? taste wise i'm curious i'd like to start a batch of this, this weekend

thanks
I am thinking about making this. Can anyone explain the difference, if any?

Old 12-06-2013, 10:37 PM   #30
Kdog22
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewer_Jonathan View Post
I am thinking about making this. Can anyone explain the difference, if any?
Apfelwein is just that much more simple to put together with less ingredients. Apfelwein calls for no acid bland, no tannin, no pectic enzyme and calls specifically for montrachete yeast. All those little things will produce a different end product. Both will be apple wines, though.

I recently put together a spiced apple wine a couple weeks ago. I gallon of apple juice, sugar, pumpkin spice, nutmeg, cinnimon sticks and a couple cloves with some Lalvin 1116 pitched in. We'll see how it turns out in a few months.

Quick Reply