Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wine > Apple Juice Wine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2009, 09:48 PM   #11
Dan_of_Earth
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Started a 2 gallon batch of this on 3/17/09. I added an extra 2 oz of sugar per gallon to bring the starting S.G. up to 1.100...I wanted it a little hotter.

Transferred it to the secondary today and the S.G. was .998. Since I used the champagne yeast I assume this will get even more dry, which is what I want. I tried a bit and it had a very slight sweetness to it, but pretty dry with a bit of a pleasant burn on the tongue after. I'm looking forward to what it looks like in a few weeks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2009, 02:11 PM   #12
Brew_Mistress
Recipes 

This may seem like a dumb question... but I will ask it anyway. Does the type of yeast you use determine if the wine will be "dry" or sweet? I really want to try to make a sweeter wine, as I couldn't drink 2 gallons of a dry wine. :P

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder!

Primary fermenter... British Bitters
Secondary fermenter... empty
Bottle..... ......New Castle knock off (All Grain)
Bottle .... ......Cream Ale
Bottle.......... Dry Stout

Old 03-24-2009, 04:15 PM   #13
Dan_of_Earth
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew_Mistress View Post
This may seem like a dumb question... but I will ask it anyway. Does the type of yeast you use determine if the wine will be "dry" or sweet? I really want to try to make a sweeter wine, as I couldn't drink 2 gallons of a dry wine. :P
I'm new to this, but as i understand it the results are based on a comnination of yeast used and sugar content. Different yeasts can tolerate different alchohol levels. So if you add enough sugar say for a potential alchohol content of 15%, then you need a yeast that can reach that level. If it does, it will eat all the sugar and leave the wine dry. If the yeast only tolerates say 13% alchohol, then it has left sugar behind and the wine is sweeter.

Some people will ferment to dryness, then stabalize the wine and add sugar later to sweeten it.

Old 03-25-2009, 12:36 AM   #14
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4483 Times on 3261 Posts
Likes Given: 870

That's true- but you could end up with an 18% ABV wine as a result- making sweet rocket fuel.

As was said, most people pick an ABV level they want to reach, and make the OG in that range. After it's fermented out completely, it's stabilized with sorbate and sulfite and then sweetened to taste. That way you can make whatever you want- a 12% semi-sec wine, a 15% sweet wine, a 13% dry wine, etc, and know what you are getting.

Old 03-26-2009, 02:28 PM   #15
Dan_of_Earth
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
That's true- but you could end up with an 18% ABV wine as a result- making sweet rocket fuel.
Only if you use too much sugar!

A question about this apple wine...when it "clears" is it mostly see through, or is it amber colored? Something else?

Old 06-08-2010, 06:36 AM   #16
Brodie2571
Recipes 

I just talked to my neighbor who had been brewing this recipe of yours for a good min (he's not a member but he is into home-brewing) and I gave it a try, he showed me through all the steps and I must say Yooper, This Is a great Apple Wine!!!. KUDOS!!!

Old 12-15-2010, 06:30 PM   #17
ill_fate
Recipes 

I just racked this into the secondary at about .994. original gravity 1.095. This looks like it will be good hopefully it will be worth the wait! It should be a nice break from the cold weather once its done! Thanks! I think you should clarify what you are tasting for when deciding if you should add more tannin. Tannic level tasting tips?

Old 12-15-2010, 08:36 PM   #18
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4483 Times on 3261 Posts
Likes Given: 870

Quote:
Originally Posted by ill_fate View Post
I just racked this into the secondary at about .994. original gravity 1.095. This looks like it will be good hopefully it will be worth the wait! It should be a nice break from the cold weather once its done! Thanks! I think you should clarify what you are tasting for when deciding if you should add more tannin. Tannic level tasting tips?
If the wine is missing that sort of "bite" or interest that tannin provides, it can be added. It's easy to overdo, though, so only add it if the wine is very boring or what they call "flabby".

Old 08-10-2011, 09:18 PM   #19
LoneTreeFarms
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 49

quick question yooper, how is this different than the apfelwein that everyone is raving about? taste wise i'm curious i'd like to start a batch of this, this weekend

thanks

Old 10-22-2011, 10:13 PM   #20
Ecc97
Recipes 

I am brand new to wine making and this is the first recipe I tried. I have 5 gallons in the primary. I used EC-1118 Champagne yeast and did not rehydrate it before pitching, just sprinkled it on top. I have the primary airlocked because the instructions that came with my kit said to do that plus we are having a bit of an issue with fruit flies right now. It is 66 degrees in the house and I am only getting one bubble every 45-50 seconds through the airlock. I thought there would be more activity at this point. Is this normal at this stage? Should I remove the airlock and cover with a towel instead?

Quick Reply