Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wine > Apple!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2013, 04:41 AM   #1
T_Baggins
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 262

Default Apple!!!

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Lalvin EC-118
Yeast Starter: no
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter: no
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity: 1.086
Final Gravity: 0.990(+-)
IBU: ?
Boiling Time (Minutes): 0.0
Color: PEE
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 7-10 days @ 72-75F
Additional Fermentation: optional
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 21+days @ 72-75F
Tasting Notes: YUM

5 gallons fresh sweet apple cider from a local fruit farm.
5 lbs C&H sugar (the pink and white bag)
7 tsp Yeast nutrient
7 1/2 tsp Acid blend
1 1/4 tsp Wine Tannin
5 campden tabs
1 packet Lalvin EC-118 Yeast
5/8 tsp ascorbic acid

First off, I see a lot of posts around here that attempt to debunk the use of EC-118. I've only brewed apple, so I (and MANY HAPPY friends) can say, it works just fine and if you rack properly there won't be any "OFF" flavor, even when consumed straight out of the secondary.

Toss everything but yeast and ascorbic acid into the primary, let stand 24 hrs.
Rehydrate yeast as per instructions on packet, add to primary.
I use an empty "double bubble" airlock on my AlePale. Every now and then during the 7-10 day period, I swirl the bucket and then gently push in the center of the lid and release a few times (Instead of a towel etc...)

I didn't notice any real bubbles until about 48hrs.

Re-rack into carboy and let stand 21+ days, then rerack. My 1st batch cleared (in my opinion) very nicely without pectic enzyme. We drank about 4 liters the first night, straight from the carboy... oh BOY!
After another week we drank 3 gallons ....sheeesshhh.... It was that darn good! I made 1 bottle.
Be sure to add the ascorbic acid if you plan to bottle, but this is a quick brew and tastes so good fresh...I don't see how anybody could possibly bottle it before drinking it all!
ENJOY

PS... according to my vinometer, ABV<>11% (I'm sure more sugar would yield higher ABV)

1st_winebottle.jpg   clarity.jpg   sweet-n-dry.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply