Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wine > Another Welch's Recipe

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2010, 08:25 PM   #1
ill_fate
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Another Welch's Recipe

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Wine Yeast
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity: 1.095
Final Gravity: .995
Boiling Time (Minutes): 1
Color: Light red
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 20 at 70 deg.
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 20 at 70 deg.
Tasting Notes: dry red with a fruity scent

(for five gallon batch)
5 gallons grape juice from concentrate
5 tsp. lemon juice
7 tsp. honey
3 packs wine yeast
3.75 cups sugar

The last thread had an interesting Welch's recipe, so I thought I'd post this one which worked great the last time I tried it, using less sugar than previously.
Begin by dumping nearly 5 gallons of grape juice from concentrate into your Primary. Just leave some room for the sugar. Dissolve 3.75 cups of sugar in warm water and add this. (The honey will replace the extra sugar usually used in these recipes.) Add the honey. Add the lemon juice. (I'm not positive, but I believe this acts like an acid, extracting sugar from the grape juice. Anyone know for sure?) Shake vigorously, allow to stand for a few hours. Sprinkle wine yeast on top of bucket. Cover. (My bucket lid has an airlock, though this isn't necessary.) Allow to sit for at least 20 days. Rack into secondary. Airlock. Allow to stand for 10 days, rack back into primary, wash secondary, and rerack into secondary. Fill Carboy to an in inch from the bottom of airlock with water. After 10 more days, bottle. Try it. Sweeten if desired. It doesn't really need to age. This is cheap wine!
The neat thing about this recipe is that everything can be purchased at the grocery store, besides the wine yeast and wine making supplies. If you don't have a wine supply store use dry highly active yeast. If you don't have a carboy simply make it one gallon at a time, fermenting the grape juice in the Welch's bottles you bought it in and use a balloon with a hole poked in the top of it as an airlock. When the balloon sinks, rerack and replace the balloon with the cap. Age it like this for 2 weeks. This is how I did it as a broke college student, however it will be cloudy. I got mine pretty clear with the wine equipment. It probably wouldn't hurt to use pectin or yeast activator. I'm drinking it now. Not amazing, not bad. Really cheap. (30 dollars for 5 gallons.) 11% abv. Cheers!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2010, 08:26 PM   #2
ill_fate
Recipes 

This is, of course, an extract, not all grain. The 1 minute boiling time is just to dissolve the sugar.

Last edited by ill_fate; 11-10-2010 at 08:49 PM.

Old 11-13-2010, 01:46 AM   #3
michur
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

noob question - any particular type of yeast better than the other?

"What is it with this chick? She have beer flavored nipples?"

Old 11-17-2010, 09:41 PM   #4
ill_fate
Recipes 

Use a packet of highly active wine yeast. It also helps to use some yeast nutrient.

Quick Reply