Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Specialty Beer > Vanilla Caramel Cream Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2010, 08:28 PM   #31
CheemsAF
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I just brewed this last night and it's sitting in the primary right now. I ended up with 5.5 gals after the boil (took a bit much from sparging).

The yeasties are going to town! It's insane. I have a blow off tube that's putting out a lot of crap into a big bowl. i'm worried the tube isn't keeping up with the fermentation. The bucket it's in looks like it's about to explode; so I keep opening up the hole to relieve pressure. Looks like this yeast likes 65 degree temps. Can't wait to see how it tastes.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2010, 08:08 PM   #32
CheemsAF
Recipes 

Taste Update: This is a love/hate relationship with this beer. After about two months in the bottle it was still on the bit of the sweet side for me (yes repitched yeast for carbing). & the proper carbonation level was attained. I threw a party about a month ago and a lot of people drank'em and I have none left now. My wife liked it a lot, but I wasn't the biggest fan.

Old 12-20-2010, 02:04 AM   #33
GoNova
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I can't figure out how much vanilla to add. The recipe says 4oz of vanilla in both the primary and secondary. But then somewhere else in the thread, the recipe calls for 2oz and then some during bottling. Can someone help? I brewed this yesterday am excited about it, but want to get the vanilla right.

Old 12-20-2010, 07:34 PM   #34
masonsjax

Recipes 

Liked 302 Times on 219 Posts
Likes Given: 301

I used 8 oz after primary settled. It was a little much, but faded in the keg over time. I would probably cut back to 4-6 oz next time. It's a good beer either way though.

Old 12-20-2010, 07:43 PM   #35
GoNova

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonsjax View Post
I used 8 oz after primary settled. It was a little much, but faded in the keg over time. I would probably cut back to 4-6 oz next time. It's a good beer either way though.
We're talking plain ole' vanilla liquid vanilla extract that you can buy at the grocery store, right? Thanks for the response!

Old 12-20-2010, 07:50 PM   #36
masonsjax

Recipes 

Yep. Take a close look at ingredients though, a lot of the imitation vanilla has preservatives in it. I'm not certain, but some of those might be harmful to yeast. I found some real vanilla extract that, while pricey, was free of preservatives.

Old 12-20-2010, 11:03 PM   #37
CheemsAF
Recipes 

@ Novabrew... I meant to reply to ya a couple of days ago. I always take copious notes on all the brews I do. When I brewed this I bought "real" pure vanilla extract and not imitation. I put 4 oz into the primary and then 4 oz into the secondary. It seemed like a lot of extract, but in the end it wasn't too overpowering, and not underdone. I hope your brew turns out good

- CheemsAF

On the 1st day of brewing...
5 Golden recipes....4 bottled ales, 3 French Saisons, 2 local pubs, and a bar fridge full of beer... :)

Old 12-21-2010, 12:22 AM   #38
GoNova

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheemsAF View Post
@ Novabrew... I meant to reply to ya a couple of days ago. I always take copious notes on all the brews I do. When I brewed this I bought "real" pure vanilla extract and not imitation. I put 4 oz into the primary and then 4 oz into the secondary. It seemed like a lot of extract, but in the end it wasn't too overpowering, and not underdone. I hope your brew turns out good
wow. that's a lot. I would have been reluctant to add that much. I'll give it a try. Thanks for the reply!

Old 12-21-2010, 05:05 PM   #39
CheemsAF
Recipes 

Yeah, it took a few months for the flavors to mellow. You'll taste the vanilla for sure at first. I still have some from this summer and the flavor profile is much more subdued now after sitting in the bottles for about 3-6 months.

- CheemsAF

On the 1st day of brewing...
5 Golden recipes....4 bottled ales, 3 French Saisons, 2 local pubs, and a bar fridge full of beer... :)

Old 12-21-2010, 08:35 PM   #40
masonsjax

Recipes 

I had this tapped at the same time as my spiced pumpkin ale. The two blended was incredible. Next time I make this, I might just throw some cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves in there too.

Quick Reply