Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Specialty Beer > Multiple - Slim's Graham Cracker Ale 2.0

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2012, 04:23 PM   #81
Brewphish
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thu View Post
How much priming sugar should i use for bottling 5 gallons?
I'd go with the standard 4oz corn sugar in 2 cups of water -

http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter11-4.html

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 04:25 PM   #82
SD-SLIM
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thu
How much priming sugar should i use for bottling 5 gallons?
3/4 cup dissolved in to 1 cup of hot water.

Old 11-28-2012, 04:31 PM   #83
Brewphish
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD-SLIM View Post
I have to be honest...I only take gravity readings during the first couple of brews in an experimental beer...after that, my equipment and eyes know what we are doing, so I don't bother until I want to confirm its beer, so beer smith could be wright!
Cool. I'll pick up an extra pack of S-04 just in case it's way over the beersmith estimate.

Cheers

Old 11-29-2012, 08:34 PM   #84
jrodder
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Brewed something really close to this last week, 7 days old today. Tasted it, and wow nothing like I had imagined. All I taste is bitterness and alcohol. Does it mellow out with the next two weeks of aging? Has anyone else brewed this and sneaked a taste?

Old 11-30-2012, 01:55 AM   #85
demons210
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrodder
Brewed something really close to this last week, 7 days old today. Tasted it, and wow nothing like I had imagined. All I taste is bitterness and alcohol. Does it mellow out with the next two weeks of aging? Has anyone else brewed this and sneaked a taste?
I just racked mine to the secondary and I snuck a little taste and mine tastes the same way. My plan is to let it sit another week or so then bottle and let it age till christmas. I really hope things turn around on this beer. Just know you're not alone on this one.

Old 11-30-2012, 04:14 PM   #86
jrodder
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by demons210 View Post
I just racked mine to the secondary and I snuck a little taste and mine tastes the same way. My plan is to let it sit another week or so then bottle and let it age till christmas. I really hope things turn around on this beer. Just know you're not alone on this one.
Thanks a lot. If we are in the same boat, then I suppose we can assume this gets tasty with the aging. I am already headed to the LHBS to pick up stuff for a quicker ale. I think because of the ABV on this guy, as well as the color and use of chocolate malt, it needs to age out a bit.

Old 11-30-2012, 05:56 PM   #87
DerekV
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrodder View Post
Thanks a lot. If we are in the same boat, then I suppose we can assume this gets tasty with the aging. I am already headed to the LHBS to pick up stuff for a quicker ale. I think because of the ABV on this guy, as well as the color and use of chocolate malt, it needs to age out a bit.
x3 - This is a big beer...after 3 weeks in the dark in bottles and one in the cold fridge I opened a couple up. Nice carbonation, not much head though, and its all vanilla and alcohol so far. Chocolate in the aroma but not much flavor. The smoked malt I substituted comes through...so mine is more akin to a smoked vanilla porter but at such a high ABV it is strong. Should age well is what I am thinking but rough around the edges right now.

Old 12-06-2012, 04:26 PM   #88
soccerRef
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

just an update to mine - ( for a refresh I mistakenly did not boil the crackers in, and added them to the primary at the beginning of fermentation.) \

after 7 days in the primary I took a grav. reading, and it was down to 1.005, OG was 1.065. I added the vanilla/vodka mixture to the primary, gave it a gentle mix , and left it until yesterday, I took another reading still at 1.005 ( no surprise there) and racked it into a secondary.

I took a small taste, and it was pretty alcoholy and bitter right now, which I hope will mellow out in the secondary?

I have not added the gram. cracker extract, mainly because I never ordered it online ( couldnt find it anywhere locally).

I figure I will let it mellow out for a few more days, take another taste and see where it stands. Worse case I maybe end up with choc type ale, instead of gram.cracker? ... we shall see...

Old 12-07-2012, 12:37 PM   #89
jrodder
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Mine is at two weeks, I added 2 vanilla beans soaked in about an oz. of whisky. Hey, it's what I had laying around.

Taste is already way mellowed out, didn't taste any graham cracker but I assume it would be subtle anyway. (I only used one box in the boil) I didn't take another gravity reading, but my OG was high, like a 1.09, and FG was around 1.018. I am going to let it sit a full three weeks in primary and take a taste test then. Tempted to only keg half of it, bottle the other half and let them sit for months and revisit.

Not really all that worried about it, as my other primary is full of Zombie Dust. That one is smelling heavenly.

I'll report back when I keg/bottle and let you guys know.

Old 12-12-2012, 02:51 AM   #90
soccerRef
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

so another update - I was working on some other brews and ciders so I figured I would take a taste and peak at how this was doing in the secondary...

as a refresher I messed up the grams and didnt put them in the boil, but primary ferm, so since I was already on a different path I figured change it up some more... when I added the vanilla beans to vodka, I actually used a marshmallow vodka my wife had laying around..

so the taste now was 100% better than just 5 days ago! no more intense alch. taste, has a mellow choc/marshmallow sort of taste to it, but not in a sweet over powering way, but in a nice tasting way... its turning into a nice darker type ale, and sitting at about 8%abv. Figure I will give it another week or so, because I wanted to get it carbed by xmas ( i force carb in a keg in a fridge, so I only need 3-4 days to get it carbed up)... if it doesnt taste ready yet i will of course wait it out longer.

Quick Reply