Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Specialty Beer > Multiple - Slim's Graham Cracker Ale 2.0

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2012, 04:06 PM   #71
brauchef10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Thanks so much for your quick response!.
I am for sure going to use beans...I really hate the flavor of vanilla extract IMO.
Thanks again,
Cheers!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 09:17 PM   #72
johnturner9
Recipes 

Anyone do this extract with a grain bag with any luck? New to the hobby and this beer sounds awesome and would like to try. Just not into AG yet.

Old 11-26-2012, 03:02 PM   #73
soccerRef
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Default mistake... oops

so I attempted to brew a batch of this the other night and I believe I made some rookie mistakes... ( only my 3rd AG batch so still a rookie!).. I was too rushed to get started, read through the recipe and went for it...should have read the entire thread first...

I assumed ( first mistake assuming) that the g.crackers would be added to the primary, but now that I read through all the posts in the thread I believe I was supposed to add these to the boil?

I ended up with a OG of just under 1.060, prior to adding the crackers to the primary, then crushed up the crackers, mixed them in, pitched the yeast and put it away to ferment.

Obv im going to let it ferment out, add the vanilla and see where it goes, mistakes sometimes lead to great discoveries right! But any thoughts as to what I should expect with this mistake? You stated you made this many many times before getting it to what you wanted, did you happen to go this route once?

I was disappointed I did not reach the OG that you posted in the recipe, could not having the crackers in the boil really cause me to miss by that much? or were there most likely other mistakes I made to cause that?

If this batch doesn't meet all expectations I will definitely try again, as it sounds like a great brew!

Old 11-26-2012, 04:03 PM   #74
brauchef10
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnturner9 View Post
Anyone do this extract with a grain bag with any luck? New to the hobby and this beer sounds awesome and would like to try. Just not into AG yet.
I subbed in 3 pounds of Muntons Light dry extract, and did 3 pounds of maris otter instead of 9 based on recommendation from homebrew shop.
Everything else I put in grain bags and followed the rest of the recipe.
Bubbling away today and smelled awesome last night

Old 11-27-2012, 03:28 AM   #75
SD-SLIM
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerRef
so I attempted to brew a batch of this the other night and I believe I made some rookie mistakes... ( only my 3rd AG batch so still a rookie!).. I was too rushed to get started, read through the recipe and went for it...should have read the entire thread first...

I assumed ( first mistake assuming) that the g.crackers would be added to the primary, but now that I read through all the posts in the thread I believe I was supposed to add these to the boil?

I ended up with a OG of just under 1.060, prior to adding the crackers to the primary, then crushed up the crackers, mixed them in, pitched the yeast and put it away to ferment.

Obv im going to let it ferment out, add the vanilla and see where it goes, mistakes sometimes lead to great discoveries right! But any thoughts as to what I should expect with this mistake? You stated you made this many many times before getting it to what you wanted, did you happen to go this route once?

I was disappointed I did not reach the OG that you posted in the recipe, could not having the crackers in the boil really cause me to miss by that much? or were there most likely other mistakes I made to cause that?

If this batch doesn't meet all expectations I will definitely try again, as it sounds like a great brew!
Unfortunately you won't get much flavor from adding them to the fermentation process...and you will defiantly need to use a secondary to clear the bear up (even if it looks clear, you don't want crackers particles)..... So here are two ways you can fix your beer: #1) if you are using vanilla beans, the vodka will add an alcohol boost, if your using extract then add a 1/4 cup of vodka #2) use graham cracker extract in the secondary, and use brown sugar as your priming sugar for bottles or keg...both of these options will enhance the flavor!

Old 11-27-2012, 02:04 PM   #76
soccerRef
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD-SLIM View Post
Unfortunately you won't get much flavor from adding them to the fermentation process...and you will defiantly need to use a secondary to clear the bear up (even if it looks clear, you don't want crackers particles)..... So here are two ways you can fix your beer: #1) if you are using vanilla beans, the vodka will add an alcohol boost, if your using extract then add a 1/4 cup of vodka #2) use graham cracker extract in the secondary, and use brown sugar as your priming sugar for bottles or keg...both of these options will enhance the flavor!
thanks for the response and suggestions! I am using vanilla beans, so the vodka will help the alcohol boost. I will definitely rack to a secondary, Im a big fan of this in most cases anyways.. I had no idea there was such a thing as graham cracker extract! I will look for it and add some to the secondary. ( if I can find it). As far as using brown sugar for priming sugar, I plan to keg my brew, so how much brown sugar should I add to the keg? also I have never used sugar to carb my beer in the keg ( I have used forced carb procedures ), about how long will it take to be carbed up via the priming sugar route?

thanks for all the assistance! I love how helpful the home brew community is! Hopefully someday soon I will be knowledgeable enough to be the one helping!

Old 11-27-2012, 02:39 PM   #77
SD-SLIM
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerRef View Post
thanks for the response and suggestions! I am using vanilla beans, so the vodka will help the alcohol boost. I will definitely rack to a secondary, Im a big fan of this in most cases anyways.. I had no idea there was such a thing as graham cracker extract! I will look for it and add some to the secondary. ( if I can find it). As far as using brown sugar for priming sugar, I plan to keg my brew, so how much brown sugar should I add to the keg? also I have never used sugar to carb my beer in the keg ( I have used forced carb procedures ), about how long will it take to be carbed up via the priming sugar route?

thanks for all the assistance! I love how helpful the home brew community is! Hopefully someday soon I will be knowledgeable enough to be the one helping!
I would use 1/2 cup...be sure to stir it in really well, then if you have CO2, apply 30psi to set all the rings and gaskets in your tank...set the keg aside in a warm environment for 14 days, then connect co2 and take a sample..it should need another couple of days, but better to check now than when it's over carbonated!

Old 11-27-2012, 03:29 PM   #78
Brewphish
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

This sounds awesome and will most likely be my next brew, assuming the LHBS has restocked their MO.

One question though Slim, are you really getting that high of an OG? Even if I hit the good side of my eff (usually near 80%), Beersmith calculates this around 1.065-1.070. I know someone else asked earlier in the thread if the crackers make up the difference, but it looks like most people reporting OGs are still in the 1.060's.

As you stated, I'm sure it will still be a great beer regardless, just curious since you've brewed this one a bunch.
Thanks!

Old 11-28-2012, 04:26 AM   #79
SD-SLIM
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewphish
This sounds awesome and will most likely be my next brew, assuming the LHBS has restocked their MO.

One question though Slim, are you really getting that high of an OG? Even if I hit the good side of my eff (usually near 80%), Beersmith calculates this around 1.065-1.070. I know someone else asked earlier in the thread if the crackers make up the difference, but it looks like most people reporting OGs are still in the 1.060's.

As you stated, I'm sure it will still be a great beer regardless, just curious since you've brewed this one a bunch.
Thanks!
I have to be honest...I only take gravity readings during the first couple of brews in an experimental beer...after that, my equipment and eyes know what we are doing, so I don't bother until I want to confirm its beer, so beer smith could be wright!

Old 11-28-2012, 04:41 AM   #80
Thu
Recipes 

How much priming sugar should i use for bottling 5 gallons?

Quick Reply