Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Specialty Beer > Multiple - Slim's Graham Cracker Ale 2.0

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2013, 11:19 PM   #161
mystikhybrid
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Oil?

So I brewed this 2 weeks ago, was on my to-do list for almost a year now. The brew process went smoothly, everything to recipes but subbed brewers best cacao nibs instead of bakers chocolate. Wondering if the substitute was the culprit...

When I racked to bottle half and keg other half, I thought i saw the usual small amount of trub was on top edges (didnt cold crash), greenish brown fermented hops and debris (didnt appear mold like). Funny thing was it felt extremely oily, literally like grease, water beading in my hand.

I doubt it was the recipe see so many other successes, but does anyone have a tip as to what would cause this?

Tasting: Not so good, expectedly still sweet (almost too much though), uknown off flavors, and a good bit of DMS ....

Can infections cause oil? (or vice versa)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2013, 10:20 PM   #162
SD-SLIM
Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystikhybrid
So I brewed this 2 weeks ago, was on my to-do list for almost a year now. The brew process went smoothly, everything to recipes but subbed brewers best cacao nibs instead of bakers chocolate. Wondering if the substitute was the culprit...

When I racked to bottle half and keg other half, I thought i saw the usual small amount of trub was on top edges (didnt cold crash), greenish brown fermented hops and debris (didnt appear mold like). Funny thing was it felt extremely oily, literally like grease, water beading in my hand.

I doubt it was the recipe see so many other successes, but does anyone have a tip as to what would cause this?

Tasting: Not so good, expectedly still sweet (almost too much though), uknown off flavors, and a good bit of DMS ....

Can infections cause oil? (or vice versa)
What brand of graham crackers did you use?

Old 10-12-2013, 11:40 PM   #163
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 388 Times on 303 Posts
Likes Given: 584

Did a 10 gallon batch this morning. Stuck to the original recipe. Mine came in at 1.078. Guess my effenciency was pretty good. I expected a small jump from the crackers, but wow. Wort smelled amazing, if not scary looking. Thick, very thick. Should be interesting, thanks Slim.

Old 10-21-2013, 10:57 PM   #164
mystikhybrid
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD-SLIM View Post
What brand of graham crackers did you use?
It was the standard red box of nabsicos

Old 10-22-2013, 02:49 PM   #165
hnbc34
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

The red box has preservatives in it. The honey maid ones do not. That could be a part of the issue.

I would also like to thank Slim for this recipe. Brewed this over the weekend and my ferm closet smells boner inducing. Hope it comes out as well as it is smelling.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:15 PM   #166
Capn12
Recipes 

Hmm...now that may explain part of my problems with this brew.

I was using Food Lion Honey Graham Crackers both times I brewed it, and both times, it has some weird, off flavors to it.

Old 10-25-2013, 12:39 PM   #167
maturemutation
Recipes 

I have brewed this with 2 boxes of Honey Maid and mine still has an off taste. The best way I can describe it is that it tastes watered down.

Old 10-25-2013, 05:28 PM   #168
SD-SLIM
Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by maturemutation
I have brewed this with 2 boxes of Honey Maid and mine still has an off taste. The best way I can describe it is that it tastes watered down.
That's odd....let it bottle/keg condition for 3 weeks and taste it again. Did you take reading to see if it had finished fermenting and turned in to beer?

Old 10-27-2013, 03:22 AM   #169
SupervisingChildren
Recipes 

Liked 293 Times on 209 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Making batch #2 now. Doing another PM for this as my equipment is only capable of it. This stuff is delcious! Can't wait for it to be ready!

Old 11-04-2013, 12:25 PM   #170
Setesh
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 236 Times on 182 Posts
Likes Given: 270

Default Best tasting wort I can remember

Made a 5 gallon batch of this on Sunday and it was a lot of fun. I collected too much wort by about 1 gallon and didn't bother boiling longer so my FG was 1.063 instead of the predicted 1078. If the flavor and aroma of the wort is anything to go by it won't matter one lick. This is the best smelling and tasting wort I have ever tried. If I had any vanilla ice cream I would have tried drizzling some over it. My head was in the mash tun every chance I got during this batch.

I modified the recipe a lot:

no rice hulls, put crushed crackers on top of grain bed after recirculating for a couple of minutes and then mashed for 1 hour.
10lbs base malt (really glad I did this after collecting 1 gallon too much in sparge)
2lbs turbinado
1lb oats
I normally skim but never do when there is coco in the recipe since it seems to hang out in the crema
EKG for all of the hops since I had a pound of them

I pitched 6 ounces of US-05 slurry into the fermentor and it was obviously too much as there was krausen and churning 6 hours later. So, I made a lot of mistakes on this one but if it turns out I'll be doing it again. I'll let you guys know how it turns out either way. Oh, all I had on hand was cheap airlock grade vodka so I'm going to pick up a bottle of the good stuff tonight and start my beans a steepin.

Quick Reply