Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Specialty Beer > Multiple - Slim's Graham Cracker Ale 2.0

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2013, 01:09 AM   #121
SD-SLIM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidshowbiz
Three weeks in bottle. A little high alcohol flavor. Will let condition a while longer. Graham cracker flavor and vanilla present but not overbearing. Minimal head but nice lacing. Mouth feel fantastic, great body. 7.5 abv a few of these will make your babies born naked! Thanks again for the recipe slim!
Yeah this beer does better with a little more bottle conditioning....glad you enjoyed the recipe!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2013, 01:32 AM   #122
jjeremy
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgrivois
are the rice hulls needed if doing BIAB?
2nd time through, didn't have rice hills either time. I take 1 pass through the grain bed and that takes a while but not as long as when I did graham crackers, pumpkin, and spices. If you're not filtering through the grains don't worry about the rice hulls for BIAB

Old 07-01-2013, 07:31 PM   #123
Capn12
Recipes 

Mother effer...my 2nd infected beer in a row, and sadly, neither due to the brewing process. This one and my Oatmeal Raisin Cookie Brown Ale both suffered the same fate: band-aid flavors. I know what can cause it, but I truly think this one was on my yeast choice combined with fermenting at ~73 degrees. Nottingham Ale Yeast, used in both, both bad. I've never had the band-aid/phenol issue before or after.

You live and learn I guess. I'll be making this one again, with a better yeast, after returning from Vegas and Ft. Lauderdale at the end of July.

Great recipe, slim!

Old 07-02-2013, 02:06 AM   #124
SupervisingChildren
Recipes 

Liked 351 Times on 255 Posts

Decided to enjoy one of these Saturday for my birthday, and had another one tonight. Glad I let a few sit this long, as they definitely age well!

Old 07-03-2013, 01:06 AM   #125
jjeremy
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn12 View Post
Mother effer...my 2nd infected beer in a row, and sadly, neither due to the brewing process. This one and my Oatmeal Raisin Cookie Brown Ale both suffered the same fate: band-aid flavors. I know what can cause it, but I truly think this one was on my yeast choice combined with fermenting at ~73 degrees. Nottingham Ale Yeast, used in both, both bad. I've never had the band-aid/phenol issue before or after.
!
FWIW, I live in a humid, mold-prone climate, I haven't been able to work out ANY kind of temperature control beyond my house-wide HVAC, and I tend to favor Nottingham Ale Yeast because it's a clean high-flocculating yeast and that goes well with my distaste for banana esters and the potentially cloudy results of the BIAB process.

I have yet to suffer "Band-Aid" or "Phenol" flavor in my beers. I don't have a keg, I bottle prime and I clean all my equipment and bottles with an Oxiclean soak, rinse once, and then sanitize with iodine. Where sensible I use boiled-and-cooled water (such as for getting my yeast started or priming my siphon hose) so I guess what I'm saying is maybe you should review your sanitary procedures and check your equipment for cracks and scratches which could harbor bacteria.

And yes, Slim, this'll be my second brew of this recipe and I agree... Great Recipe.

Old 07-03-2013, 01:11 AM   #126
jjeremy
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Oh, it's probably covered somewhere earlier in the thread but how do you handle sanitary process with your Vanilla Beans?

Myself, I soaked them in Irish Whiskey (Kilbeggan) because that's what I have on hand. About a day in that and I'd challenge any bacteria to survive and be ready to compete with the yeast culture.

Old 07-03-2013, 01:46 AM   #127
SupervisingChildren
Recipes 

Liked 351 Times on 255 Posts

I'm pretty sure I used marshmallow vodka for my vanilla bean extract. Enough to cover the beans in a sanitized little plastic 'home' for 7 days. S'mores!

Old 07-03-2013, 03:27 AM   #128
jjeremy
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupervisingChildren
I'm pretty sure I used marshmallow vodka for my vanilla bean extract. Enough to cover the beans in a sanitized little plastic 'home' for 7 days. S'mores!
Marshmallow vodka! Classic! Too bad I didn't have any on hand. I'd have gone longer in the liquor just for the sake of infusion but I'm not worried about 1 day.

Old 07-28-2013, 02:49 PM   #129
RBRT
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

I did the Graham Cracker addition to two of my beers and I loved it. With one box addition you get a subtle flavor and with two boxes you get a really full flavor of graham crackers. The only complaint I have is I get less Beer in the end. Each time I bottle I only yielded 3.5 gallons.

I was wondering if adding Rice Hulls would make any difference to how much graham cracker falls out of suspension?

My feeling is it will not do anything but I have never used rice hulls. Also adding graham cracker makes it much harder to strain.
However, the beer I got was A+. I was on the edge of quitting but now I graving to try new additions to conventional beers. Like Vanilla Wafers to a Wheat.

Old 07-28-2013, 04:18 PM   #130
SD-SLIM
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBRT
I did the Graham Cracker addition to two of my beers and I loved it. With one box addition you get a subtle flavor and with two boxes you get a really full flavor of graham crackers. The only complaint I have is I get less Beer in the end. Each time I bottle I only yielded 3.5 gallons.

I was wondering if adding Rice Hulls would make any difference to how much graham cracker falls out of suspension?

My feeling is it will not do anything but I have never used rice hulls. Also adding graham cracker makes it much harder to strain.
However, the beer I got was A+. I was on the edge of quitting but now I graving to try new additions to conventional beers. Like Vanilla Wafers to a Wheat.
I'm glad you enjoyed the beer...my take on brewing is to create something I would love while pushing the recipes beyond what breweries would offer.
In regards to rice hulls, they do help in the straining process, but I found with the graham crackers, that I needed to add grain before the graham crackers and then topped with more grain to compact.

Quick Reply