Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Specialty Beer > Multiple - Slim's Graham Cracker Ale 2.0

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2012, 11:20 PM   #91
demons210
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just an update to mine. I'm at 4 weeks now, 2 primary and 2 secondary, and the alcohol taste has gone down a little bit but it still over takes the beer. I'm going to let it go another 2 weeks then bottle for at least another 2 weeks. Ill update when I bottle this one. Hopefully it mellows out and turns out good.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2012, 01:51 PM   #92
jrodder
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I kegged mine at 3 weeks. I only used one box of graham crackers, but holy trub batman! Over a gallon or so leftover. If I do this again, I would add enough water for 6 gallons in the fermenter. I'll probably be pulling off a pint on Sunday for the Browns game, I'll let you know how mine turned out. Also if I do it again, I'll probably just bottle it all and let it sit for a few months and visit it then.

Old 12-17-2012, 07:40 PM   #93
djevans3
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I brewed this up last Friday with the original recipe, plus a 1/4 pound of honey malt that I had. I hit 1.071 going into the fermenter. Very good beer when I tasted it and the graham crackers really came through. I hope the vanilla adds flavor without becoming too much, we will see!

Old 12-18-2012, 10:02 AM   #94
SD-SLIM
Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by djevans3
I brewed this up last Friday with the original recipe, plus a 1/4 pound of honey malt that I had. I hit 1.071 going into the fermenter. Very good beer when I tasted it and the graham crackers really came through. I hope the vanilla adds flavor without becoming too much, we will see!
If the vanilla is too strong at first...then allow the beer to condition longer and the flavors won't be as dominant!

Old 12-19-2012, 06:09 AM   #95
madcowbrewing
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I am still in the dark on the addition of the crackers. I have seen in the mash and the boil in this thread. Where do they go? My gut and everything I have ever learned says mash. Going to brew a variation of thus soon.

Old 12-19-2012, 06:25 AM   #96
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 188

Gotta make this one

Old 12-19-2012, 11:06 AM   #97
SD-SLIM
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcowbrewing
I am still in the dark on the addition of the crackers. I have seen in the mash and the boil in this thread. Where do they go? My gut and everything I have ever learned says mash. Going to brew a variation of thus soon.
You should use them in the mash.

Old 12-20-2012, 06:08 PM   #98
ThatGuyRyan
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I brewed this for my 1st 10 gallon batch in my new home about 4 weeks ago. All went well considering it was a new setup that was untested and a fairly complicated brew with all the graham cracker goo to deal with. But it went fairly smooth except for one thing. I disassembled all my equipment, cleaned and sanitized and then put everything back together and forgot to put my bazooka screen back in the keggle! Luckily I only dumped the rice hulls and about 3-4 pounds or grain when I realized my mistake. So I drained some water and put on my high temperature gloves and dove in!

I got the screen on and everything going after about 15 minutes in which I lost a few degrees but I just added some boiling water to get it back to temp and it was good from there. I was actually surprised how well the keggle drained with all the graham crackers. The wort though did look like mud even after primary was complete and I had to pressurize my conical to get it flowing when I racked it. Since I was short on time and wanted some ready by Christmas I added the vanilla to 5 gallons and cold crashed it for the past 2.5 weeks.

Last night’s sample was surprisingly clear with just a hint of vanilla but lots of alcohol. Which is just due to it being so young. I am still going to force carb the 1st 5 gallons so we have something to sip on and I will continue to age the rest until I need to rack it off the vanilla. But so far so good. I can’t wait to try this one again once I get my system dialed back in.

Thanks for the recipe!

Cheers

shat happens

Old 02-16-2013, 12:47 AM   #99
MedicMang
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 144 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I hate to ask, mainly because i probably know the answer already. When calculating how much mash water to use, did you just factor in the weight of the graham crackers or did you just mash with the weight of the grain only?

Old 02-16-2013, 05:57 AM   #100
SD-SLIM
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicMang
I hate to ask, mainly because i probably know the answer already. When calculating how much mash water to use, did you just factor in the weight of the graham crackers or did you just mash with the weight of the grain only?
Weigh including graham crackers.

Quick Reply