Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Specialty Beer > All-Grain - Jolly Roger Christmas Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2012, 10:41 PM   #11
bwirthlin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by humann_brewing

most definitely, I would imagine for a 2.5-3g batch, you are looking at something like 5-6lbs but that is just a guess there are tons of online calculators or better yet, buy beersmith.
I use the calculator on hopville.com I'll definitely look in to beersmith though. My recipe came out like this

8lbs 8oz light DME
13oz crystal 75
13oz caramunich 60

1oz chinook 90min
1oz cascade 30min
.75oz chinook 30min
Flame out
1oz cascade
1oz chinook
Dry hop
1oz cascade
1oz chinook

Wlp007

That gives me an estimated abv of 8.1% and an ibu of 67. I dropped the ibu's a bit just based on my personal preference but kept everything else the same as your recipe. I'm pretty excited to make this, hopefully it'll turn out good. It's been almost a year since I've tasted Jolly Roger so I don't remember the flavor exactly. The one thing I do remember is how smooth it was and it had a good kick to it. One more question, I'm not sure the purpose of a 90 minute boil. What's the advantage to it in a beer like this? I'm guessing there must be a reason for it with a big beer like this. And is it necessary for an extract brew?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2012, 04:51 PM   #12
humann_brewing
More Humann than human
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 309 Times on 307 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwirthlin View Post
I use the calculator on hopville.com I'll definitely look in to beersmith though. My recipe came out like this

8lbs 8oz light DME
13oz crystal 75
13oz caramunich 60

1oz chinook 90min
1oz cascade 30min
.75oz chinook 30min
Flame out
1oz cascade
1oz chinook
Dry hop
1oz cascade
1oz chinook

Wlp007

That gives me an estimated abv of 8.1% and an ibu of 67. I dropped the ibu's a bit just based on my personal preference but kept everything else the same as your recipe. I'm pretty excited to make this, hopefully it'll turn out good. It's been almost a year since I've tasted Jolly Roger so I don't remember the flavor exactly. The one thing I do remember is how smooth it was and it had a good kick to it. One more question, I'm not sure the purpose of a 90 minute boil. What's the advantage to it in a beer like this? I'm guessing there must be a reason for it with a big beer like this. And is it necessary for an extract brew?
not a particular reason for the 90m boil, just did them at the time but you could do a 60m if you wanted too. Might toss in a few extra chinook pellets in your first addition though.

Old 10-12-2012, 08:42 PM   #13
bwirthlin
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 37 Posts

Quote:

not a particular reason for the 90m boil, just did them at the time but you could do a 60m if you wanted too. Might toss in a few extra chinook pellets in your first addition though.
Cool, thanks for the info. I'll let you know how it turns out when I get a chance to brew it. I've got a few in line ahead of it right now but I'll be knocking them out in the next few weeks

Old 10-22-2012, 02:40 AM   #14
troyh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 20 Posts

Drinking this now. It's great. It's still a couple days away from full carbonation but it's nice. I had forgotten to dry hop it until it was kegged and the dry-hopping hasn't yet fully taken effect yet either. Can't wait to taste test against the real thing. It's gonna be really good as it ages and gets carbonated. For what it's worth, my OG was 1.087 and my FG is 1.020.

image-565233802.jpg  

Old 10-22-2012, 04:35 PM   #15
humann_brewing
More Humann than human

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyh View Post
Drinking this now. It's great. It's still a couple days away from full carbonation but it's nice. I had forgotten to dry hop it until it was kegged and the dry-hopping hasn't yet fully taken effect yet either. Can't wait to taste test against the real thing. It's gonna be really good as it ages and gets carbonated. For what it's worth, my OG was 1.087 and my FG is 1.020.
It looks great, may be a tad on the sweet side finishing at 1.020 but still nice. Congrads!

Old 10-22-2012, 04:41 PM   #16
BulldogBrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 198 Times on 198 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Funny enough, I have almost all of the ingredients for a batch of this... Might have to add it to my pipeline to drink in time for Christmas/New Years. :-)

Bottle: Apfelwein, Cranegranate Apfelwein
On Deck: Sweet Stout

Quote:
Let me bring you up to speed, we know nothing... You are now up to speed.

Old 10-23-2012, 06:02 AM   #17
troyh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 20 Posts

Quote:

It looks great, may be a tad on the sweet side finishing at 1.020 but still nice. Congrads!
It is a little sweet, but I like Winter beers to be sweet. It's not cloying at all, though. My OG was just too high.

Old 10-25-2012, 03:39 AM   #18
humann_brewing
More Humann than human

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulldogBrewer View Post
Funny enough, I have almost all of the ingredients for a batch of this... Might have to add it to my pipeline to drink in time for Christmas/New Years. :-)
wow, I saw this post earlier but didn't realize it was the infamous bulldogbrewer. Honestly this is a exellent fresh beer as it comes off as a IIPA, semi balanced and ages like a barleywine.

Basically the batch I did, I had planed on aging all of it but as soon as I tasted it fresh, well only only bottled 2 of the 5 gallons. That was a few years back now and I have a bottle or 2 left. They are a little oxidized but if you can get past that along with all the gunk in the bottle as my process was not that good back then and there is a lot of sediment in the bottle, it is a great beer. I will finish the few bottles I have left this winter.

Old 10-25-2012, 06:49 PM   #19
BulldogBrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 198 Times on 198 Posts
Likes Given: 20

That's me, infamous :-)

I'm thinking I will likely brew this one up sometime after next weekend. Should be a good IIPA for christmas and maybe age out as a barleywine. Nice.

Bottle: Apfelwein, Cranegranate Apfelwein
On Deck: Sweet Stout

Quote:
Let me bring you up to speed, we know nothing... You are now up to speed.

Old 10-25-2012, 10:01 PM   #20
humann_brewing
More Humann than human

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulldogBrewer View Post
That's me, infamous :-)

I'm thinking I will likely brew this one up sometime after next weekend. Should be a good IIPA for christmas and maybe age out as a barleywine. Nice.
2 beers in one, who can complain about that?

Quick Reply