India Brown Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Professor Frink

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast 1272 - American Ale II
Yeast Starter
Yes
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 days @ 68 degrees
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days @ 68 degrees
Additional Fermentation
None
Tasting Notes
This turned out to be a great beer, don't let the IBUs scare you.
This is an India Brown Ale that got great reviews from everyone (and won second place in competition).

Grains
US 2-Row Malt 13.00 lb 85.8 % 4.1 In Mash/Steeped
US Caramel 20L Malt 0.50 lb 3.3 % 1.7 In Mash/Steeped
UK Brown Malt 0.50 lb 3.3 % 5.0 In Mash/Steeped
US White Wheat Malt 0.50 lb 3.3 % 0.2 In Mash/Steeped
Belgian Aromatic Malt 0.25 lb 1.7 % 0.8 In Mash/Steeped
Belgian Kiln Coffee Malt 0.20 lb 1.3 % 5.8 In Mash/Steeped
UK Pale Chocolate Malt 0.10 lb 0.7 % 3.5 In Mash/Steeped
US Roasted Barley 0.10 lb 0.7 % 5.2 In Mash/Steeped

Hops
US Warrior 15.5 % 0.50 oz 25.3 Loose Pellet Hops 60 Min From End
US Columbus(Tomahawk) 15.5 % 0.50 oz 25.3 Loose Pellet Hops 60 Min From End
US Summit 18.0 % 0.50 oz 22.6 Loose Pellet Hops 30 Min From End
US Columbus(Tomahawk) 15.5 % 0.50 oz 19.5 Loose Pellet Hops 30 Min From End
US Mount Hood 4.5 % 0.50 oz 3.6 Loose Pellet Hops 15 Min From End
UK Golding 5.5 % 1.00 oz 6.5 Loose Pellet Hops 10 Min From End
UK Golding 5.5 % 1.00 oz 0.0 Loose Pellet Hops At turn off

Yeast
Wyeast 1272 - American Ale II

Single infusion mash - 154 degrees for 60 min.

This was originally supposed to be a Double India Brown but I missed my OG by a lot. The beer came out much better this way, I've scaled down the recipe for the numbers I hit (70% efficiency). My FG was also a bit higher than 1.017. I'll definitely be making this beer again.

Got any tasting notes on this? Sounds good!

EDIT: Sorry, didn't see them at the top of the recipe.

Any tasting notes on this one? Boulder Beer Company's Flashback Anniversary Ale is an IBA and one of my current favorites.

Good move on avoiding citrus hops for flavor/aroma. Mt. Hood and Golding are great hops for big browns.

I plan on brewing this Sat. I'd still really like to hear some feedback on the recipe and any recommended changes before we brew it up. Bueller? Bueller?

I'm pretty certain mine got an infection due to a bad bucket (totally my fault) and I am back looking at the recipe to decide whether or not I want to just go ahead and bottle it or not...

I am wondering about your grain bill and hop selection on this one. The bottle of this ale states on the label that it uses only cascade hops in five different addtions. Additionally the label states that the unique character comes from biscuit and chocolate malts.

I find it very odd that your clone contains none of the ingrediants of the original, outside of the choco malt. Not that your bew doesn' t sound great, cause it does....but i don't think it is an accurate reproduction of the original.

permo - I don't see where he's trying to clone a particular brewery's India Brown - just shooting for the style - and you didn't say exactly which one you were drinking. How much of that did you drink before your post? :drunk:

permo - I don't see where he's trying to clone a particular brewery's India Brown - just shooting for the style - and you didn't say exactly which one you were drinking. How much of that did you drink before your post? :drunk:

YOu are right, I was previously reading an article on Boulders Flashback India Brown Ale, it must have still been fresh in my mind.

My apologies!

You are correct. The beer I was trying to loosely model was Terrapin's India Brown, but the recipe was really designed to make it to style.

Back