Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Specialty Beer > All-Grain - Holly (Christmas Ale)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2010, 11:17 PM   #41
jmo88
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNOTSANE View Post
Just bottled up my batch of this beer. I made the tea and racked on top of it. Towards the end of bottling (about 7 bottles from the end) I pulled a sample to check the gravity. It was spot on. I tasted the sample out of the tube and it was nasty tasting. I tasted some out of the fermentor last week and it was really good. I realized i had some star san in the bottom of the bucket when I dumped the tea in, but can a little star san sour out 4.5 gallons of brew? It's hard to describe the taste, but it was harsh and stingy. (if that makes sense) Is this normal for this beer until it mellows out? Has anyone else experienced this?
This is not a very easy beer to make. More steps in a recipe just increases the chances that something can go wrong. I'm not sure why it wouldn't taste good to you during bottling. You could have picked up an infection, left a large quantity of StarSan in the beer, messed up the spicing process. Starsan is an acid and the more acidic something is, the more of a chance it will taste sour. I really don't think this was your problem though, unless you left a hefty quantity in there or didn't mix the proper proportions of the Starsan. Maybe it'll improve in a few weeks, but the beer should never taste nasty.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2010, 12:52 AM   #42
kansas_cty_shfl
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

The holidays have gotten in the way of my beer making and I couldn't get this one finished in time for Christmas like I originally wanted. However, this being my first all-grain I severely underestimated how much wort the grain would suck up and came up a full gallon short. Now I need some opinions from those that have been successful with this, with only 4 gallons should I dial some of the spices back or just leave them as is?

Old 12-22-2010, 01:12 AM   #43
pj_rage
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

FWIW I haven't really liked the taste of any of the beers I've bottled yet after the priming sugar is added and it's going into the bottle. Before priming and especially after they are carbonated, they taste a lot better. I usually taste the last bit that didn't fit into a bottle, and it's usually kind of gross IMO. Especially with the spices not having time to mellow or anything, it could be worse. I did taste this one after priming but I can't recall exactly what it tasted like.

Either way, I wouldn't worry too much until you give it 3 or 4 weeks to carb up and try it again.

Old 12-22-2010, 02:03 AM   #44
jmo88
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansas_cty_shfl View Post
The holidays have gotten in the way of my beer making and I couldn't get this one finished in time for Christmas like I originally wanted. However, this being my first all-grain I severely underestimated how much wort the grain would suck up and came up a full gallon short. Now I need some opinions from those that have been successful with this, with only 4 gallons should I dial some of the spices back or just leave them as is?
It'll turn out fine, I'm sure. Maybe it'll be a little stronger, from being more concentrated. It is a Holiday beer after all

The great part about the spicing method is that you can make sure the spices taste good and are properly balanced with the beer. Maybe just choose a smaller vanilla bean and a smaller cinnamon stick.

Old 12-24-2010, 11:47 AM   #45
SkylerChaBro
Recipes 

Saved and written down. Next year this will be on the top of my list for October brewing.

I'm glad you are receiving such great reviews as well.

Merry Christmas all!

Old 12-24-2010, 11:29 PM   #46
KNOTSANE
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Well I had to sample one only after a couple of days in the bottle to see if what I tasted the other day was just me or not. I must have had a bad taste in my mouth when i did that sample after checking the gravity. Very much flat, but a nice flavor. Although I really cant taste all the spices, but I'm sure they will all come out when everything mellows out. I just though the vanilla would jump out. Still I think it will be just fine.

Old 12-25-2010, 12:32 AM   #47
jmo88
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNOTSANE View Post
Well I had to sample one only after a couple of days in the bottle to see if what I tasted the other day was just me or not. I must have had a bad taste in my mouth when i did that sample after checking the gravity. Very much flat, but a nice flavor. Although I really cant taste all the spices, but I'm sure they will all come out when everything mellows out. I just though the vanilla would jump out. Still I think it will be just fine.
Carbonation is a major player in bringing out these spices. It has a great nose to it, but it needs to be carbonated.

...perhaps a good New Year's beer

Old 12-25-2010, 02:11 PM   #48
petercarrjones
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Friends and family have all tried this and loved it. Even my Mom, who doesn't like beer and especially most of my other brews, drank her entire glass of this one. Success on Christmas Eve/Morn for the Holly Christmas Ale!

Old 01-11-2011, 04:30 PM   #49
Q2XL
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

This beer is so damn good that I am brewing another batch tomorrow. Almost out of the first batch. This time I will remember to add the honey.

Old 01-12-2011, 09:52 PM   #50
KNOTSANE
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Being a spiced beer, I will definitely kick this batch off this year in late September or early October. The longer this beer sits in the bottles, the better it gets.

Quick Reply