Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Specialty Beer > All-Grain - Holly (Christmas Ale)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2013, 02:58 PM   #411
Broham1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carros
That would probably work. You could also make more of the spice tea and add that to the keg. That should get it tasting the way you want quicker.
Thanks! I took your advice and did another spice tea and I now have the spiced Christmas ale I was hoping for!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2013, 02:20 AM   #412
cbrobertson
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

BAM!!
Nothing new to add, just more kudos to the recipe.
IMO aging really helps. Bottled the whole batch; OG 1.075 using BIAB; FG 1.018. Boiled 10/6, bottled 11/13. First beer on 12/4 a little bitter. The ginger was at the front from first sip to finish.
Second beer 12/10 and man this is a complex, crisp, flavorful brew. I dislike cold. I find it so much better after 5-10 min's of warming. Def a sipping beer and two is about all I can handle for an evening. This is truly a fantastic recipe that I will make an annual custom. So to the initial poster I say Cheers my friend. Well played.

The difference between bravery and stupidity is too often defined by the outcome.
-Steam

plankbr Likes This 
Old 12-19-2013, 02:21 AM   #413
tiwaricd
Recipes 

Default Great Recipe!!

Brewed this up with fresh hops from ZZ Hops Farm, and served it up for a party we had last weekend... Keg went really quick.

The real vanilla bean really makes the difference.

Mine turned out OG 1.82 and fg at 1.01 9.5% ... being higher alcohol it really gave you a warm feeling... will be brewing this again really soon.

Old 12-20-2013, 05:39 PM   #414
lawlessamps
Recipes 

I am drinking my first holly and it is fabulous. Brewed beginning of November and bottled 3 wks ago. My FG was only 1.018 for a abv of 8.4% which I am happy with. The spice tea is lacking but I am happy with that. The malt flavor is perfect. As everyone says.......should have made a double batch!!!!!!

Old 12-30-2013, 01:49 AM   #415
shortyz
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts

this brew is by far one of my favs, ive only brewed 4 times but this one kills it. Incase anyones doing some extract brewing i replaced the 13lbs of 2 row with 6.25lb of extract. Abv worked out to like 7.1, a little lower then original recipe but i think its good. Could probably kick the extract up a bit to bring the abv up i guess.

Oh on another note i added some brown sugar after primary, no idea why i did this but its good lol

The spice tea makes this beer glorious! next brew i might go with 2 fresh vanilla beans because i found the vanilla is a little hidden behind the orange zest.

Bottled this and popped the first one a week later (couldnt resist) Decent carb, so i bet in 3 weeks itll be awsome.

Old 12-30-2013, 02:07 PM   #416
BrewCityBaller
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyz View Post
this brew is by far one of my favs, ive only brewed 4 times but this one kills it. Incase anyones doing some extract brewing i replaced the 13lbs of 2 row with 6.25lb of extract. Abv worked out to like 7.1, a little lower then original recipe but i think its good. Could probably kick the extract up a bit to bring the abv up i guess.

Oh on another note i added some brown sugar after primary, no idea why i did this but its good lol

The spice tea makes this beer glorious! next brew i might go with 2 fresh vanilla beans because i found the vanilla is a little hidden behind the orange zest.

Bottled this and popped the first one a week later (couldnt resist) Decent carb, so i bet in 3 weeks itll be awsome.
I bottled mine with brown sugar and it turned out GREAT!

Old 12-30-2013, 02:24 PM   #417
bdhobbs
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyz View Post

I wouldn't add more vanilla...just let it age a month or so. As it ages, the orange and ginger calm down and it leaves a nice vanilla flavor.

Old 01-01-2014, 01:04 AM   #418
shortyz
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts

ah, alright. i better stash some bottles before i drink it all

Old 03-19-2014, 09:36 PM   #419
Bradthoc
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPhad View Post
Turned out great, a big hit

Thanks for the recipe jmo88

Attachment 90015

Love the label!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew
On-Deck: English Oaked Old Ale

Old 03-20-2014, 03:24 AM   #420
DagoBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Ive got another case of this stuff that I brewed in September last year sitting in storage that I completely forgot about!! Time to open in up and see whats crackin!!

Quick Reply