Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Specialty Beer > All-Grain - Holly (Christmas Ale)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2013, 01:28 AM   #361
plankbr
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Got the ingredients this evening. Gonna brew in the AM!

Fermenting:
Bottled: Mosaic APA II, Dead Ringer IPA, Oliver's Oil (American Stout), Wait On the Plank Pale Ale, Fresh Squeezed IPA II, Centennial Blonde. Galaxy IIPA, Black IPA, Doubly Fresh Squeezed IPA, Centennial Blonde, RIS, American Amber, Fezziwig's Fizz, Bee Stinger IIPA, Session IPA, Vienna/Galaxy Smash Pale Ale
http://phish.servebeer.com

ObRN4brew Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2013, 10:59 PM   #362
Nompton
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Over a month in the bottles and it's still very hot. Alcohol is front and center. I'm going to wait until Thanksgiving to open another.

Old 11-12-2013, 03:17 AM   #363
cherbhy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Well, just finished brewing a few hours ago. Thought I'd update to keep this thread going a bit. This was my second all grain brew.

The yeast: I ended up using WLP051 California Ale V Yeast (I thought I was buying WLP001). Hopefully this doesn't change the flavor profile too much. One of the reviews on white labs site says, "I wanted the beer to have a soft malty character and subtle sweetness. That is exactly what I got thanks to this yeast." Obviously I want a stronger malt flavor, but still, this sounds positive. In any case, I made a 1.75 liter starter to compensate for the high OG. I pitched at 70 degrees. I included a stir bar with my pitch to add EXTRA FLAVOR! (Just kidding, I forgot about it XD.)

The mash: My mash efficiency was 70% (better than my first batch, trust me). Still haven't gotten this sparging thing quite right. Ended up doing half of a continuous sparge then adding the rest of my sparge water and letting it sit for ten minutes before vorlaufing a second time and taking second runnings. My gravity post mash/pre-boil was 1.051. The gravity post-boil was 1.070 (a little low).

I split the centennial hops and used 1 oz pellets and 1 oz leaf just because i wanted to see how leaf hops fared in the kettle. Also, I added about an ounce of chocolate malt and and ounce of UK crystal to make up for poor efficiency. The brew smelled quite good. Post boil taste was malty and slightly syrupy, the bitterness of the hops coming through only moderately. Very good for my tastes.

And that's about it! HBU all? How did your recent brew go?

Old 11-12-2013, 12:39 PM   #364
plankbr
Recipes 

I brewed this recipe this past Saturday. I bumped up the 2-Row 1 more lb and was expecting an OG of 1.084 @ 70% efficiency. Came in at 1.072 (59% efficiency). That's another story altogether I think with the LHBS crush being too coarse (has happened in 3 consecutive brews). It's fermenting now with 2 packets of US-05 and mashed at 156* for an hour per the OP's recommendations. Really excited about this one. I am not too worried about the abv, just as long as it tastes great, which I'm sure it will. Now we wait and see. Good luck all!

Fermenting:
Bottled: Mosaic APA II, Dead Ringer IPA, Oliver's Oil (American Stout), Wait On the Plank Pale Ale, Fresh Squeezed IPA II, Centennial Blonde. Galaxy IIPA, Black IPA, Doubly Fresh Squeezed IPA, Centennial Blonde, RIS, American Amber, Fezziwig's Fizz, Bee Stinger IIPA, Session IPA, Vienna/Galaxy Smash Pale Ale

Old 11-12-2013, 12:58 PM   #365
Hello
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 15 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1574 Times on 1107 Posts
Likes Given: 2536

Brewed a slight variation and extract version of this Saturday. Using S-04, 2 packs rehydrated and it is bubbling away with some vigor. I am slightly worried because in spite of the house being quite cool (64F) my temps were hovering around 62-64 then suddenly shot up to 70 yesterday. Changed the ice pack in the cooler and hoped for the best.

I used 9 lbs LME light with Centennial and Mt. Hood hops. I added a little vanilla, bitter orange peel, cinnamon stick, and the honey towards the very end of the boil and I'll still make the tea. It is by far the best smelling beer I've made and I've made a honey porter and another winter spice with orange and brown sugar. My OG was 1.072 and I was aiming for 1.073 if I recall. Pretty excited and it should be good by Christmas.

Old 11-12-2013, 01:30 PM   #366
plankbr
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hello View Post
Brewed a slight variation and extract version of this Saturday. Using S-04, 2 packs rehydrated and it is bubbling away with some vigor. I am slightly worried because in spite of the house being quite cool (64F) my temps were hovering around 62-64 then suddenly shot up to 70 yesterday. Changed the ice pack in the cooler and hoped for the best.

I used 9 lbs LME light with Centennial and Mt. Hood hops. I added a little vanilla, bitter orange peel, cinnamon stick, and the honey towards the very end of the boil and I'll still make the tea. It is by far the best smelling beer I've made and I've made a honey porter and another winter spice with orange and brown sugar. My OG was 1.072 and I was aiming for 1.073 if I recall. Pretty excited and it should be good by Christmas.

I'm very curious about how all the spices you put into the boil will translate to the bottle after fermentation. I am making the tincture/tea per the OP's instructions and would love to do a side-by-side comparison.

Fermenting:

Old 11-12-2013, 07:54 PM   #367
Hello
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 15 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1574 Times on 1107 Posts
Likes Given: 2536

Quote:
Originally Posted by plankbr View Post
I'm very curious about how all the spices you put into the boil will translate to the bottle after fermentation. I am making the tincture/tea per the OP's instructions and would love to do a side-by-side comparison.
Will let you know. I made a brew with orange peel and brown sugar and that worked fine. My pumpkin spice beer worked well. So basically, I felt fairly safe.

I'll still make the tea though. This is going to be an interesting beer.

Old 11-12-2013, 08:28 PM   #368
mosiris
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

What would be good substitute for the German wheat malt and uk medium crystal. Unable to locate in my area and would like to get as close as possible to original recipe. Thanks!

Old 11-14-2013, 04:26 AM   #369
morticus
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 53 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosiris
What would be good substitute for the German wheat malt and uk medium crystal. Unable to locate in my area and would like to get as close as possible to original recipe. Thanks!
I guess you could just go with American wheat, and crystal 40 or 60. That's what I'd do. At least that's what I'd do.

Old 11-14-2013, 02:22 PM   #370
BrewCityBaller
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by morticus View Post
I guess you could just go with American wheat, and crystal 40 or 60. That's what I'd do. At least that's what I'd do.
Is that what you'd do?

Quick Reply