Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Specialty Beer > All-Grain - Holly (Christmas Ale)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2013, 07:16 AM   #341
Urkelbot
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I just tried one after conditioning for 3 weeks and it was already good. A little under carbed but honestly I was expecting it to taste off for at least another month or two. Its going to be awesome by December.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2013, 02:57 PM   #342
SookeBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I brewed this at the end of September and bottled it on Monday, Oct 21. I made a few changes to the recipe, including using Wyeast London III. This yeast took off like a shot and dropped the beer from 1.078 to 1.030 quickly, but then seemed to stall. I agitated the yeast (a large floating mass tends to accumulate) and stirred in some nutrient, which finished the beer at 1.018, which was expected by BeerSmith. I will definitely make a starter next time.

I also used CaraAroma instead of Special B which seems to be hard to get these days from our suppliers locally and online.

At bottling, the spices blended well with the off-dry beer. Colour was great (but cloudy). I am really looking forward to cracking one of these on December 1 after the lights go up on the house!

Fermenting: Oatmeal Stout
Bottle Conditioning: Christmas Ale
Planning: Unicorn IPA

Old 10-28-2013, 11:15 AM   #343
Earl_Grey
Recipes 

I bottled this weekend using

1 vanilla bean
1tsbp sweet orange peel
1tbsp fresh ginger root diced
1 4inch cinnamon stick

What I did was set aside a cup of base beer and then added a tsp at a time from the spice tea until it was just right. For me it was 3tsp however it may not be exactly 3tsp as i did not take into account sips or volume additions form the tea while sampling. I am hoping it will even out in the end. I then reboiled the calculated volume I needed for the beer in the carboy and added priming sugar. I had 2 gal of beer so I ended up using 2 cups of the spice tea.

The tea smelled really good and I carbed at ~2vol CO2. Its gonna be good!

Old 11-01-2013, 10:26 PM   #344
atimmerman88
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 330 Times on 206 Posts
Likes Given: 832

Wow!

All my worries are gone, perfect spice level.

5 weeks in the bottle

image-76690798.jpg

Untapped
ObRN4brew Likes This 
Old 11-02-2013, 01:24 PM   #345
Publius
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

haha, atimmermam--great minds think alike, apparently. just saw the label you posted, I also did a Christmas Vacation-themed label. I'm not nearly as artistic as you though, so I just took an actual screen capture from the movie and used photoshop to render it to look like a painting. You probably wont be able to read the text on the right, but it's the quote that starts with "where do you think you're going? nobody's leaving, nobody's walking out on this good old fashioned family Christmas..."

holly-ale.jpg  

Old 11-02-2013, 03:20 PM   #346
atimmerman88
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 330 Times on 206 Posts
Likes Given: 832

Quote:
Originally Posted by Publius
haha, atimmermam--great minds think alike, apparently. just saw the label you posted, I also did a Christmas Vacation-themed label. I'm not nearly as artistic as you though, so I just took an actual screen capture from the movie and used photoshop to render it to look like a painting. You probably wont be able to read the text on the right, but it's the quote that starts with "where do you think you're going? nobody's leaving, nobody's walking out on this good old fashioned family Christmas..."
Sweet label

I think that's a classic scene in the movie

Every year my family watches this after thanksgiving dinner, planning to bring a few bottles to share

Untapped

Old 11-03-2013, 07:44 PM   #347
ptgooch
Recipes 

Default A repeater

I brewed a 10-gallon batch of this last year on a whim for a holiday party. It turned out great. I can't remember the measurements or anything but everyone liked it. The only thing I did different was to transfer to a secondary and add the spices there, instead of at bottling. I kept in the secondary for a week or two, then bottled. Best Christmas ale ever.
People liked it so much last year that I brewed it again this year. I just finished cleaning up from the brew day. My OG was 1.077, things are looking good.

Old 11-04-2013, 12:33 PM   #348
plankbr
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 33

I am going to brew this on Saturday to hopefully be ready in time for Christmas! I am thinking this weekend would be the last possible time if I ferment for 2 weeks, cold crash, then bottle. Couple of questions:

1) What is the desired mash temp?
2) 2 packets of dry yeast too much? It appears US-05 is the choice here.

Thanks in advance, this beer looks amazing!

Fermenting: Vienna/Galaxy Smash Pale Ale
Bottled: Mosaic APA II, Dead Ringer IPA, Oliver's Oil (American Stout), Wait On the Plank Pale Ale, Fresh Squeezed IPA II, Centennial Blonde. Galaxy IIPA, Black IPA, Doubly Fresh Squeezed IPA, Centennial Blonde, RIS, American Amber, Fezziwig's Fizz, Bee Stinger IIPA
http://phish.servebeer.com

Old 11-04-2013, 06:51 PM   #349
kirbfucius
Recipes 

I just brewed this yesterday!

My birthday was Sunday and was given new home brew goodies to play with. We built a MLT, immersion cooler, and set up a turkey fryer. After a trip to the LHBS for the ingredients they were all put to good use in my first all grain brew - extract IPA and BIAB double chocolate stout partial mash as my other two brews.

My initial gravity only came out to 1.068 so I'm thinking my efficiency may need work, but it should still produce a good beer in the end.

Old 11-04-2013, 07:02 PM   #350
Hello
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 14 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1480 Times on 1041 Posts
Likes Given: 2310

Newbie question, if I brewed this next weekend would it be too soon to drink at Christmas? It doesn't appear as though it would be, but I figured I would ask.

Quick Reply