Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Specialty Beer > All-Grain - Holly (Christmas Ale)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2012, 01:19 PM   #281
Fordzilla
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 34

I cracked the first one last night after about 2 1/2 weeks in bottles. It was delicious. Lots of vanilla flavor, more than I was expecting. Very tasty though.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 03:46 PM   #282
morticus
Recipes 

Liked 93 Times on 53 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel_conklin
Could someone please verify where the vanilla bean is used? Do you boil it in the tea or add it to the secondary?
I put mine in the secondary. Then I took it out of the secondary and put it in the tea after I took it off the boil. I ended up with the perfect amount of vanilla flavor.

Old 12-08-2012, 02:13 PM   #283
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Mine has been about 3 weeks since brewing, cold crashing for the last week due to time constraints. Today I'll boil the tea and rack this to kegs. Once it's carbed I'll start sampling it and plan to bottle off the keg about a 12-pack or so to take with us on Christmas Vacation trip to Georgia (driving) for relatives. Hoping it's mellowed by then, about 2 weeks from now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 12-09-2012, 01:00 AM   #284
twofieros
Lifetime Member
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordzilla
I cracked the first one last night after about 2 1/2 weeks in bottles. It was delicious. Lots of vanilla flavor, more than I was expecting. Very tasty though.
The vanilla will subside if you age it longer. It really comes to after four weeks.

Old 12-10-2012, 06:05 PM   #285
tre9er
Recipes 

I made the tea for 9g of this on Saturday. I used two whole vanilla beans, sliced and scraped and I still hardly tasted the vanilla. I didn't get a cinnamon stick, so I used about 1/2tbsp of ground cinnamon, 1tbsp ground ginger. I used a syringe to put 1ML in 2oz of beer, then 2ML was where I started tasting it. That meant that all of the tea went in. Still didn't taste much vanilla, but it's not carbed and I know that changes things a lot, from experience.

I also used WLP500 which has a big clove note to it, so it may be overpowering at this point. Anyways, kegged to two-5g cornies and it's on gas right now. Wanting to bottle off a 12-pack in 10 days and take with me on Christmas drive to Georgia for relatives. Probably won't be great quite yet by Christmas (15 days since spicing) but I can recommend they save most of the bottles until January.

Quote:
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 12-10-2012, 08:37 PM   #286
shoshin
Shoshin Picobrewery
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 61

I recently used wlp530, which didn't give much clove or spice, but did impart lots of fruity esters.

Primary: Pumpkin Dubbel, Belgian Quad
Secondary: Belgian Dubbel
Kegged: Cascadian Dark Ale, Witbier, Rye IPA
Bottled:
-RIS
-Sweet Brown Porter
-jmo88's Holly Ale (2013)
-jmo88's Holly Ale (2014)
-Olde Ale

Up Next: IIPA, English Mild, Vienna Lager, Dry Stout

Old 12-11-2012, 01:57 PM   #287
petercarrjones
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My 2012 version was a split batch of sorts. We mashed with some roasted acorn squash, we then fermented half inside a pumpkin(!) and half in glass- both used Belgian Leuven Yeast (WY3538). The pumpkin half became our fall pumpkin beer, which we bottled half with spices, half without. The clean side became our christmas beer which we bottled with the traditional spice tea. In all the version, I'd say the pumpkin fermented/unspiced was my favorite. Pumpkin with spices was pretty decent. The Christmas version was not improved by the squash, though I can't tell if the Belgian yeast helped or hindered. The mix of spice and sweet notes from the squash was just a bit too cloying. The lesson is don't fit all the flavor profiles of your fall seasonals into one batch.

Old 12-11-2012, 05:11 PM   #288
zeprock2
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Is one pack of Safale-05 enough for a 5 gal batch or are you guys using two? mr malty says 1.3 packs but i dont want to waste a second pack if its not needed.

Old 12-12-2012, 02:08 PM   #289
DagoBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Just cracked one of these last night! It has changed so much since i last tried one a little over a week ago!! The ginger is finally at the back end and the vanilla and cinnamon are up front followed by nice hops flavor with sweet almost chewy malt flavors!! My good friend who is a beer and wine critic was over and we compared this with a couple other holiday ales and he says mine was "by far the best Christmas brew he has ever tasted" Awesome recipe, thanks!!

Old 12-12-2012, 07:51 PM   #290
tre9er
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeprock2 View Post
Is one pack of Safale-05 enough for a 5 gal batch or are you guys using two? mr malty says 1.3 packs but i dont want to waste a second pack if its not needed.
Make a small starter. Sanitize a jar, boil some water and DME, cool, add to jar with yeast, cover in sanitized foil, shake from time to time. Counts will multiply enough to only need one pack.

Quote:

Quick Reply