Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Specialty Beer > All-Grain - Holly (Christmas Ale)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2012, 11:40 PM   #151
DagoBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Just stopped at my LHBS and picked up everything for my brew day tomorow!! I used crystal 120 instead of the uk medium and gonna use wlp001 cuz thats my favorite yeast for ales!! Ill post some pics and updates tomorow!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2012, 02:46 AM   #152
DagoBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

All went well today, i ended up with an OG of 1.078 and hit 80% according to brewersfriend.com! I did a half oz of 12.6% cenntenials for the first wort hop just cuz im a total hop head! The color was absolutely beautiful, a nice deep reddish color! I cant wait to taste this one after a couple months of conditioning!!
Cheers!

Old 09-08-2012, 11:34 PM   #153
adam01
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

A word of warning to you who brew...

I brewed this last November! Used way too much spice tea - cinnamon out the wazoo,
ginger slickness on your tongue for a long time (it almost tingled.)

10 months later the cinamon is only an aroma (good) but the ginger is a long aftertaste.
At 9.3%, its tasty and warm. I thought I threw this out. Now I'll keep it for this Christmas.

Old 09-10-2012, 05:32 AM   #154
DagoBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Maybe you just used to much of the "spice" ingedients... Ive done that before.

I just tasted my winter lager from last season which had way to much ginger and cinamon.. Its clear as F...!! But still has too much ginger taste!

Old 09-12-2012, 03:11 AM   #155
brando632
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Can anyone spare the specifics of their ingredients for the tea? I made this last year, and used the prescribed amount of fresh grated ginger root, one of the cinnamon sticks from the grocery store (the stick was probably three inches long, Kroger brand I think, came with multiple ones in a red and white metal can), a vanilla bean from whole foods, simply split down the middle, and the prescribed amount of bitter orange peel from the LHBS. After six weeks in the bottle, it was ALL ginger, and overbearing. No orange peel, vanilla, or cinnamon whatsoever. I tried one a few days ago, nine months later, and still overpowering ginger. Finally dumped the batch to free the bottles, with the exception of three bottles. So what went wrong? I'm gonna try it again this year, because of all the raves it gets on here when you hit it right. The beer was awesome before bottling, so I'll probably try to bottle half without the tea, and half with. Anyone see any issues with my tea process? I'm probably gonna go with the dehydrated ginger this time around. How long is the cinnamon stick you use? Do you scrape out the insides of the vanilla bean, or just split it down the middle?

Old 09-12-2012, 06:35 AM   #156
jmo88
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Hopefully people that make this beer really think the spice step through completely. Spices are extremely variable and if you just make a quart of the tea using my directions and just toss it in the bottling bucket without tasting it, you'll likely flub the beer up. If you are bottling the beer, it's probably best to make the tea without the priming sugar at first. After you make a quart of the tea, pour off a few ounces of the unspiced beer (note the exact measurement) and add a small measured amount of tea to the tasting serving until it is a subtle profile. Do the math to figure out how much tea you'll need to add to the bottling bucket to get that profile. Assuming you need to reduce the amount of tea, toss the extra amount down the drain and add the priming sugar to the newly measured tea and heat it briefly to a boil and add to the bottling bucket. I hope that clears up the problem of over spicing.

Old 09-18-2012, 07:40 PM   #157
enthuzed
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Came across this recipe... Pretty psyched to brew this up next week and let it sit in the bottle till December/Winter timeframe

Thanks! (jmo88)

Old 09-19-2012, 05:14 AM   #158
MedicMang
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 179 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 21

So I want to brew this tomorrow since I was unable to do it a couple weeks ago. I was thinking about the hops and I don't have centennials. I do have cascades, us goldings, warrior, nugget, Columbus, and Apollo. Any suggestions on what to sub with and how much?

Old 09-19-2012, 01:23 PM   #159
twofieros
Lifetime Member
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I would sub cascade and use the same amount as centennial. They are very close to each other.

Old 09-19-2012, 03:04 PM   #160
MedicMang
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 179 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Aren't cascades lesser alphas than centennials? Should I adjust? I'm still not read up on how the alpha thing works.

Quick Reply