Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Specialty Beer > Extract - Gunslinger's Graff

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2012, 07:12 PM   #61
theshoe82
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
theshoe82's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Norwood
Posts: 118
Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default


My version of this recipe with some tweaks.

1LB Crystal 120
1/2 LB Black Patent
1/2 LB Beech Smoked
1/2 LB Honey Malt
1/4 LB Torrified Wheat
1/2 LB Chocolate Malt
1/2 LB Roasted Barley
3 LBs XL DME

Mash 2.0 Gallons water @ 155 degrees for 60 mins. Batch Sparge 2.0 Gallons of water @ 170 degrees.

Follow rest of recipe with boil times and hop additions as listed. Top off with 3 gallons apple juice, for a total of 6 gallons after the boil.

I ended up doing a split batch with 3 gallons of Graff using Safale S05 and the other 3 gallons using Danstar's new BRY-97 dry yeast.

It will be interesting to compare and contrast the two.

__________________

Last edited by theshoe82; 11-07-2012 at 12:52 AM. Reason: added info
theshoe82 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2012, 02:01 AM   #62
JollyIsTheRoger
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Northwest Indiana/Chicago
Posts: 521
Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by theshoe82 View Post
My version of this recipe with some tweaks.

1LB Crystal 120
1/2 LB Black Patent
1/2 LB Beech Smoked
1/2 LB Honey Malt
1/4 LB Torrified Wheat
1/2 LB Chocolate Malt
1/2 LB Roasted Barley
3 LBs XL DME

Mash 2.0 Gallons water @ 155 degrees for 60 mins. Batch Sparge 2.0 Gallons of water @ 170 degrees.

Follow rest of recipe with boil times and hop additions as listed. Top off with 3 gallons apple juice, for a total of 6 gallons after the boil.

I ended up doing a split batch with 3 gallons of Graff using Safale S05 and the other 3 gallons using Danstar's new BRY-97 dry yeast.

It will be interesting to compare and contrast the two.
The grains you mashed dont have any diastatic power so you didn't get any sugars from them, just a bit of flavor and color, like steeping grains. But you had DME so it shouldn't be an issue, just thought I would point that out.
__________________

Small homebrew facebook group for trading, advice, and general bragging. PM me if you join- http://www.facebook.com/groups/256122024462215/
One gallon brewing blog http://onegallonbrewing.blogspot.com/

JollyIsTheRoger is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2013, 01:01 AM   #63
boqa
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 8
Likes Given: 4

Default


Seems to me that a characteristic of graf is its "eye-watering" properties. Lol, I doubt many of the grafs brewed on this forum will do that for you (possibly except those with infections gone wild).

__________________
boqa is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2013, 11:34 AM   #64
Marmike600
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Marmike600's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Manassas
Posts: 127
Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Default


Malt & Fermentables
8Lb Apple Cider
3Lb Briess Dark DME
2Lb Briess Amber DME
1Lb American Crystal 120L
.5Lb Belgian Special B
.5Lb Chocolate Malt (US)

Hops
30 min ½ Chinook ~ pellet 13.0 » 15.8
20 min 1 Saaz ~ pellet 3.5 » 6.7
Bitterness = 22.5 IBU

Yeast
Belgian Strong Ale = 7.3% ABV

Havent brewed this yet. Was thinking this weekend. Any thoughts? Thank you.
__________________
Primary:
Head Scratcher IPA Hefe, Head Scratcher IPA Hefe w/orange & vanilla, Strawberry Skeeter Pee

Bottled:
Graff, Head Scratcher IPA Hefe, Blackberry/Raspberry Skeeter Pee, Angel Flight IPA, Hop Scare IPA, Centennial IPA
Marmike600 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2013, 02:08 AM   #65
Jash
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default


Made a Graf of my own, turned out pretty unique and tasty.

My 2 cents would be that the cider/juice should be added a few days into primary so that the yeast can develop the right enzymes to ferment all the malt, rather than just going right for all the simple sugars from the cider/juice.

I base this on what I've heard from Jamil on Brew Strong when talking about brewing any beer with a significant percentage of simple sugars.

When I made my Graf I brewed 2.5 gal of 1.060 wort then added 3 gal of cider on day 3 of primary. Not sure how significant a difference this made, but it made more sense to me to do it that way.

__________________
Jash is offline  
Marmike600 Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2013, 11:46 AM   #66
Marmike600
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Marmike600's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Manassas
Posts: 127
Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jash View Post
Made a Graf of my own, turned out pretty unique and tasty.

My 2 cents would be that the cider/juice should be added a few days into primary so that the yeast can develop the right enzymes to ferment all the malt, rather than just going right for all the simple sugars from the cider/juice.

I base this on what I've heard from Jamil on Brew Strong when talking about brewing any beer with a significant percentage of simple sugars.

When I made my Graf I brewed 2.5 gal of 1.060 wort then added 3 gal of cider on day 3 of primary. Not sure how significant a difference this made, but it made more sense to me to do it that way.
Funny you should say that. I made the above ^ recipe and also 5 gallons of the basic light version. The light version has been fermenting for almost a week and just last night decided to swamp the airlock. I think what happened was like you said. the yeast ate up all the simple sugar and that is what I saw the airlock doing initially and now it is plowing thru the malt and that is causing the need for the blow off tube that I installed this morning.

Yeasties are crazy animals.
__________________
Primary:
Head Scratcher IPA Hefe, Head Scratcher IPA Hefe w/orange & vanilla, Strawberry Skeeter Pee

Bottled:
Graff, Head Scratcher IPA Hefe, Blackberry/Raspberry Skeeter Pee, Angel Flight IPA, Hop Scare IPA, Centennial IPA
Marmike600 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2013, 04:14 PM   #67
Marmike600
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Marmike600's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Manassas
Posts: 127
Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Default


Two weeks in and my Stout Graff is still bubbling away.

__________________
Primary:
Head Scratcher IPA Hefe, Head Scratcher IPA Hefe w/orange & vanilla, Strawberry Skeeter Pee

Bottled:
Graff, Head Scratcher IPA Hefe, Blackberry/Raspberry Skeeter Pee, Angel Flight IPA, Hop Scare IPA, Centennial IPA
Marmike600 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2013, 03:21 PM   #68
hunter_la5
16%er
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
hunter_la5's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: New Braunfels, TX
Posts: 1,863
Liked 591 Times on 393 Posts
Likes Given: 1677

Default


subscribed. I loved the DT series, I'll have to try this as soon as I have fermenter space.

__________________
My coffin keezer build.
On Tap:
1. Jamil's Cowboy Alt
2. Yooper's Fizzy Yellow Beer
3. KingBrianI's Common Room ESB
cheezydemon3 is my spirit animal.
hunter_la5 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2013, 02:07 PM   #69
grhsgomer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: mesa
Posts: 33
Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default


mostley because im still fairly new at this and want to try this recepie this weekend but the @60 and @60 and @ 20 for the hops does that mean after i boil for 60 to add the 2 sets of hops then add the 20 after 20 min of boiling or add hops to boil for 60 min the the last 20 before im done?

Quote:
Originally Posted by greencoat View Post
This is my literal interpretation Graff (not to be confused with Brandon O's creation,) based off Stephen King's The Dark Tower series. Nerdy, yes, but equally delicious. I used Mott's apple juice for mine, I'm sure if you could find something a little more pure it would be better.



4 Gallon, 60 min boil.

3.3 lbs Amber LME
1 lb. Crystal 120
3/4 lb. Black Patent
1/2 lb. Roasted Barley
1/2 lb. Smoke Malt
2 oz. Tortified Wheat

1oz Centennial (9.7%) @ 60
.5 Cascade (7.5%) @ 60
1.5 Cascade (7.5%) @ 20

After the boil, top off with 2.75 gallons Apple Juice

Pitch US-05

Ferment for 21 days @ ~68 degrees.



Serve a little warmer than usual and this thing shines.

(Yes, I realize the ABV listed on the label is incorrect. I made them before the beer was finished. I get excited, ok?!?)
__________________
grhsgomer is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2013, 03:53 PM   #70
hunter_la5
16%er
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
hunter_la5's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: New Braunfels, TX
Posts: 1,863
Liked 591 Times on 393 Posts
Likes Given: 1677

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by grhsgomer
mostley because im still fairly new at this and want to try this recepie this weekend but the @60 and @60 and @ 20 for the hops does that mean after i boil for 60 to add the 2 sets of hops then add the 20 after 20 min of boiling or add hops to boil for 60 min the the last 20 before im done?
The recipe calls for a total of 60 minutes of boiling time. Therefore, once you bring the wort to a boil, you would add both @60 hop additions, and set your timer for one hour. Then when there are 20 minutes remaining, add the @20 hops.
__________________
My coffin keezer build.
On Tap:
1. Jamil's Cowboy Alt
2. Yooper's Fizzy Yellow Beer
3. KingBrianI's Common Room ESB
cheezydemon3 is my spirit animal.
hunter_la5 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Graff Stout greencoat Recipes/Ingredients 6 10-02-2013 02:19 PM
Gunslinger's Graff sakeyfour Label Display & Discussion 10 06-10-2010 02:38 AM
Pacman for Graff? LoganAz Cider Forum 1 10-17-2009 04:44 AM
My graff hasn't gotten off the ground jaginger Cider Forum 6 10-09-2009 02:26 AM
Graff is too dry sjlammer Cider Forum 3 09-26-2009 01:45 PM