Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Specialty Beer > Extract - Gunslinger's Graff

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2010, 09:43 PM   #41
Clifton
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 14

The tartness mentioned may be due to the Apple Juice containing Vitamin C (ascorbic acid). All of the apfelweins I've made with vitamin c infused juice were crazy tart.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2011, 08:04 PM   #42
tim87tr
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim87tr

I bottled this at 3 weeks and it has been bottled 2 weeks. I am very pleased with the results. The taste is rich, smooth, not bitter, with a dry finish (which I like). Only thing I think it needs is a little more malt flavor, which I intend to add and modify on the next batch. I like the original Graff, but this dark stuff is much much better for my tastes.

Next batch I'm going to use 1 lb of choc malt, 1 lb of crystal malt, 1 lb amber dme, 1 lb dark dme, columbus bittering hops and saaz or liberty aroma to finish. The fresh unpasteurized cider really made a difference too.
I have a graff dunkel batch bottled 10 weeks that's very good. I steeped 1 lb crystal 120 and added 3 lb DME, half oz columbus 30 min and half oz liberty for 10 min. Added to 4 gal fresh unpast cider, notty yeast.

Another batch in bottle 3 weeks with 1 lb crystal 120 and 1 lb choc, 1 lb amber DME, 1 lb dark DME, half oz brewers gold 30 min and half oz liberty 10 min.

These are good base recipes to experiment with if you think you'd like a dark apple beer. Sorry no SG or FG but usually leave in primary 3 or 4 weeks and test first at 4 weeks in bottle.

Old 06-13-2011, 10:38 PM   #43
camgolfer
Recipes 

We made a batch of this graff with some modifications and I am very happy with it. It came out a bit like a sour brown. A little sour, a little malty with some nice hop character, but it has very good flavor and has nice dark color.

img111.jpg  

Old 07-29-2011, 12:17 AM   #44
onipar
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Greencoat, just wanted to let you know I did a recent blog post about the Graf I brewed, and I sourced your picture from this thread for it. I gave you credit and linked to the thread. You can find it on my website's blog.

Cheers!

Old 08-13-2011, 08:30 PM   #45
thelema420
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i'm making a modified version of this, 5 gallons beer + 3 gallons AJ

9# 2-row
1# special B
.5# black patent
.5# roasted barley
11 cans frozen apple concentrate + water to make 3 gallons

mash 1/2oz each Yarrow & Marsh Rosemary
60min 1/2oz each Yarrow & Marsh Rosemary
30min 1/4oz Northern Brewer & Centennial (it was kicking around)

US-05
we'll see how it goes!

Old 08-19-2011, 04:48 PM   #46
MrOrange
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by greencoat View Post
They described it to me as an 'dark apple beer.' The Gunslinger's crew were served a meal with a 'good strong graff' before heading out on their final journey.
I have read all 7 books and they never really explain what graff is. They do mention drinking it on more than one occasion but it is never really refered to as an apple beer.

Old 09-06-2011, 01:01 AM   #47
greencoat
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOrange View Post
I have read all 7 books and they never really explain what graff is. They do mention drinking it on more than one occasion but it is never really refered to as an apple beer.
From The Waste Lands:

Roland leaned over to Jake, who was sitting tailor-fashion near an oval bed of bright green flowers with Oy at his side. He Hurmured: "Drink only enough to be polite, Jake, or we'll be carrying you out of town - this is graf - strong apple-beer."

So, I may have botched the spelling (one "f", not two) but it certainly is referred to as an apple beer. Also - in the paragraph before the one I quoted, it's referred to as a "dark golden liquid," so for complete accuracy, you might wanna cut out a fair amount of the dark grains.

[/awesome]

Old 09-08-2011, 02:10 AM   #48
JollyIsTheRoger
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I did a quick search of some copies of the books i found online (a lot faster than flipping through the pages of the books on my shelf haha) and here is the references they make to it (I left out the simple ones that didn't make a difference such as "they were offered graf")

By the way, I should be brewing this in a week or two. Hopefully.

WARNING: THERE ARE NAMES AND EVENTS MENTIONED IN THESE QUOTES. I DON'T BELIEVE THIS WILL RUIN THE BOOKS FOR ANYONE BUT IF YOU ARE WORRIED ABOUT THAT YOU MAY NOT WANT TO READ THIS SECTION

Quote:
3 - The Wastelands
-- Roland leaned over to Jake, who was sitting tailor-fashion near an oval bed of bright green flowers with Oy at his side. He murmured: "Drink only enough to be polite, Jake, or we'll be carrying you out of town—this is graf—strong apple-beer."

4 - Wizard and Glass
--Her mood was not improved when she found that her graf barrel was almost empty; she blistered the air with her curses.

--Sheemie took first one barrel from Capi's back, then the other. Grunt-ing, he carried them to the huge oak tank by the back door. He opened the tank's lid, bent over it, and then backed away from the eye-wateringly strong smell of elderly graf.
"Whew!" he said, hoisting the first barrel. "Ye could get drunk just on
the smell o' that lot!"
He emptied in the fresh graf, careful not to spill. When he was fin-ished, the tank was pretty well topped up. That was good, for on Reaping Night, apple-beer would flow out of the kitchen taps like water.

--They lifted the barrels from Capi's back. Susan took a broken horse-bit from the pocket of her wrapper and used the sharp end to pry off one of the tops. She tossed the bit to Sheemie, who pried off the other. The apple-tart smell of graf filled the shed.

05 - Wolves of the Calla
--"May she always do fine!" the rancher cried, and tossed off his cup of graf in one long swallow. Eddie admired the man's throat, if nothing else; Calla Bryn Sturgis graf was so hard that just smelling it made his eyes water.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:53 PM   #49
JollyIsTheRoger
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I got this brewed and done with a few malt changes and it turned out amazing. I made a label for it on BEER LABELIZER and sent it off to a buddy to critique it for me and he took this picture.

And then I posted this to BrewingTV's facebook since they were talking about ciders and graffs and one thing led to another and I just sent them two bottles that they might be using in a cider/graff episode.

So thanks for the recipe greencoat.

Old 11-30-2011, 04:59 PM   #50
Clifton
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Thanks for the link to beerlabelizer. That's pretty sweet.

Quick Reply