Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Specialty Beer > Extract - Gunslinger's Graff

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2010, 09:32 PM   #21
Blauvelt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I brewed something that was originally intended to be this recipe but I :
- Added another pound of caramel 120
- added a little more roast barley
- took away the smoke malt
- added more hops!
- I used nearly 10 litres of grape juice!

well the resulting brew was quite awesome. I walked into the grocery store intending to buy apple juice, but the stuff is gosh darn expensive in Canada. Right next to the apple juice was some Welches white grape juice (apparently it is a non-varietal kinda grape) for the same price.

I brewed her up with all kinds of love and attention. OG was 1.054, FG was 1.007. I tried the first bottle yesterday (only 3 weeks in the bottle). It was freaking amazing! It was not quite black, with a nice carbonation level and a nice head. it smelled slightly of grapes. The taste was a slightly sweet grape flavour perfectly complemented by a resinous hop flavour (I used a lot more hops) and a complex deep yet slight roasty-ness.

The only thing I would change if i brewed this up again (I will), I would use a better kind of grape juice, this tastes less like wine and more like non-varietal Welches. I bet it would be good with some oak as well.

thanks for the inspiration!

I like mushrooms.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2010, 07:42 PM   #22
greencoat
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradinator View Post
I got around to bottling it today and had a half-pint extra so I tossed it in the fridge and enjoyed it flat, but cold. Got to say its a little on the sour side right now, but still very tasty. I imagine with at least a few days in the bottles its going to be good. I cannot wait for the long weekend!
Awesome. Yeah, that sour tartness will go away the longer you let 'em sit. This recipe always got mixed reviews from anyone who had it, I really like it a few months in the bottle. Next time I may cut the juice content a bit and get rid of the smoke malt. That little amount doesn't really add anything, I made the recipe almost as a 'kitchen sink' type of deal.

I think it's about time I re-brew, going AG this time.

[/awesome]

Old 05-25-2010, 07:44 PM   #23
greencoat
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blauvelt View Post
I brewed something that was originally intended to be this recipe but I :
- Added another pound of caramel 120
- added a little more roast barley
- took away the smoke malt
- added more hops!
- I used nearly 10 litres of grape juice!

well the resulting brew was quite awesome. I walked into the grocery store intending to buy apple juice, but the stuff is gosh darn expensive in Canada. Right next to the apple juice was some Welches white grape juice (apparently it is a non-varietal kinda grape) for the same price.

I brewed her up with all kinds of love and attention. OG was 1.054, FG was 1.007. I tried the first bottle yesterday (only 3 weeks in the bottle). It was freaking amazing! It was not quite black, with a nice carbonation level and a nice head. it smelled slightly of grapes. The taste was a slightly sweet grape flavour perfectly complemented by a resinous hop flavour (I used a lot more hops) and a complex deep yet slight roasty-ness.

The only thing I would change if i brewed this up again (I will), I would use a better kind of grape juice, this tastes less like wine and more like non-varietal Welches. I bet it would be good with some oak as well.

thanks for the inspiration!
Hah, cool! That sounds like pretty interesting, is did you record your recipe?? I'd love to see it.

[/awesome]

Old 05-25-2010, 07:54 PM   #24
Blauvelt
Recipes 

I did record it but I've lost it now. I might have the receipt from the lhbs, but I doubt I will find it. For hops I think I added 1 oz more centennials, and 1-3oz more cascade sometime during the boil. Its funny how when you are brewing, the recipe is pretty much all you think about, and a few weeks later you're like... hmm, ahh, hmm... but perhaps I am exceptionally forgetful. Usually I record everything I brew, this one just kinda disappeared.

I like mushrooms.

Old 05-25-2010, 10:07 PM   #25
wcarter1227
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

yeah id like to see the recipe as well. im sure the grape and roasted malt flavors worked well together.

primary:15 minute Cascade Pale Ale
Primary 2: Cream of 3 crops
Primary 3: Sam Adams Holiday Porter Clone
bottled:BM's Blue Balls Belgian Wit
15 Minute Cascade Pale Ale
DryHopped Cream of 3 Crops
http://hopville.com/brewer/wcarter1227

Old 05-26-2010, 10:07 PM   #26
Blauvelt
Recipes 

Yeah it's pretty tasty. I looked for a receipt but didn't find one. I'm sure that anyone could make something similar, Just use greencoat's recipe as a baseline and use grape juice instead of apple and add whatever strikes your fancy. I might try it as an all grain recipe with Munich malt, a little rye malt, and a few oz's of cocoa next time. I will definitely add more hops!

I like mushrooms.

Old 06-01-2010, 11:06 PM   #27
wcarter1227
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blauvelt View Post
Yeah it's pretty tasty. I looked for a receipt but didn't find one. I'm sure that anyone could make something similar, Just use greencoat's recipe as a baseline and use grape juice instead of apple and add whatever strikes your fancy. I might try it as an all grain recipe with Munich malt, a little rye malt, and a few oz's of cocoa next time. I will definitely add more hops!
Im thinking dropping the smoked malt, subbing special b for the crystal 120, and adding some chocolate malt and some aromatic malt might add some complexity.

What you guys think about using Chinook as bittering hops?

primary:15 minute Cascade Pale Ale
Primary 2: Cream of 3 crops
Primary 3: Sam Adams Holiday Porter Clone
bottled:BM's Blue Balls Belgian Wit
15 Minute Cascade Pale Ale
DryHopped Cream of 3 Crops
http://hopville.com/brewer/wcarter1227

Old 06-02-2010, 12:36 AM   #28
Blauvelt
Recipes 

I like Chinook hops! I will probably use them next time.

I like mushrooms.

Old 09-23-2010, 02:08 PM   #29
StLouisBrews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I'm going to try this recipe this weekend. I was curious if it would be ok to use unfiltered apple cider instead of apple juice? I'm also going to take your advice and use a gallon less cider and more malt.

Old 09-23-2010, 07:26 PM   #30
greencoat
Recipes 

Try the cider, I bet it will a less abrasive flavor once it's fermented out.

[/awesome]

Quick Reply