Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Specialty Beer > Extract - Gluten Free Double IPA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2010, 08:57 PM   #11
zman
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I want to do this for a friend that cannot have gluten. She is not a big IIPA fan so I am thinking more of an APA. Perhaps a GF version of Yoopers House Pale. I have #7 of Sorghum and #4 of Brown Rice Syrup to play with. What do you suggest for good mix of fermentables. I also have a bag of Maltodextrine. That helps with Head retention correct? If so when do I add it? If I wanted to toast some grains for color what would your suggestion be to get a nice amber color.

Here is the link to the non gf version http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/da-y...le-ale-100304/

TIA,
Zman

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2010, 09:10 PM   #12
DKershner
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman View Post
I want to do this for a friend that cannot have gluten. She is not a big IIPA fan so I am thinking more of an APA. Perhaps a GF version of Yoopers House Pale. I have #7 of Sorghum and #4 of Brown Rice Syrup to play with. What do you suggest for good mix of fermentables. I also have a bag of Maltodextrine. That helps with Head retention correct? If so when do I add it? If I wanted to toast some grains for color what would your suggestion be to get a nice amber color.

Here is the link to the non gf version http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/da-y...le-ale-100304/

TIA,
Zman
Yooper's is pretty similar to the GF Pale I made awhile ago. Switch out my S-04 for S-05 and add a cascade dry hop. I would also use more Brown Rice Syrup and less Sorghum if I were to do it again, but even as is it turned out really well.

I will let others comment on coloring, as I have not done grain roasting. I would use an amber belgian candi sugar to darken it a bit if desired.

Old 09-13-2010, 09:17 PM   #13
zman

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKershner View Post
Yooper's is pretty similar to the GF Pale I made awhile ago. Switch out my S-04 for S-05 and add a cascade dry hop. I would also use more Brown Rice Syrup and less Sorghum if I were to do it again, but even as is it turned out really well.

I will let others comment on coloring, as I have not done grain roasting. I would use an amber belgian candi sugar to darken it a bit if desired.
well I have #7 of Sorghum and #4 of Brown Rice to play with. What would you suggest for a malt bill? I am not going to do this until next week after the GABF so EVERYONE please feel free to submit your comments.

Thanks,

Z

Old 09-13-2010, 09:33 PM   #14
DKershner
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman View Post
well I have #7 of Sorghum and #4 of Brown Rice to play with. What would you suggest for a malt bill? I am not going to do this until next week after the GABF so EVERYONE please feel free to submit your comments.

Thanks,

Z
4lb Brown Rice, 4lb Sorghum.

Old 09-14-2010, 12:33 AM   #15
Lcasanova
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

+1 or the 4:4 mix.

For roasting grains you really need a 2 week lead time for that. You want to allow them to off gas before using them but if you didn't...I don't really know what the effect would be. When I don't have that 2 weeks I'll use a candi sugar or molasses for color.

Old 09-22-2010, 08:44 PM   #16
zman

Recipes 

Thanks for the ideas. A few more ?'s.

I am assuming that you brew this in typical extract fashion, bring 2.5gal water to a boil add #4 sorghum and #4 Brown Rice Syup and boil for an hour?

I do AG typically and use tap water. When I did extract batches I always used bottled water. What do you guys generally do?

For Color some have mentioned Amber Belgian Candy Sugar. I bought some Amber Agave Nectar. http://ohgave.com/. I want to try and get the color from it and thought this might be a good idea to try out. I also have some Molasses. I was thinking about adding 8 oz maybe @ 5 min left in the boil.

Thoughts?

Old 09-22-2010, 09:01 PM   #17
Lcasanova

Recipes 

I brewed this as a partial boil but the sorghum syrup and the brown rice syrup weren't added until the last 15 minutes of the boil. For water I alternate between store bought spring water and filtered tap water. I think that a candi sugar would fit nicely here, but swap it out for another fermentable or reduce one- the ABV on this is already 7% (at least mine was). On molasses- I thought this was GREAT in my brown ale but I don't know if I'd use it in this beer- but I haven't tried it so I don't know. I used 8 oz. in my brown ale and it added a LOT of color and, in my opinion, a lot of subtle flavor.

Old 09-22-2010, 09:17 PM   #18
zman

Recipes 

[QUOTE=Lcasanova;2293132]I brewed this as a partial boil but the sorghum syrup and the brown rice syrup weren't added until the last 15 minutes of the boil. [QUOTE=

Ok now I am confused. You are adding the sorghum syrup and the brown rice syrup @15? The recipe mentions the first hop addition @90. If I am adding the syrups @ 15 left in the boil what is boiling for 90min?

Old 09-22-2010, 09:34 PM   #19
Lcasanova

Recipes 

You are boiling 2.5 oz of warrior, .5 oz chinook and 12 oz of corn sugar for the full 90 minutes.

Old 09-22-2010, 09:41 PM   #20
DKershner
Recipes 

If you have an AG setup, just do a full boil. Full Boil is always > Partial boil. Probably the #1 way to improve a beer.

Quick Reply