Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Specialty Beer > George Washington's Small Beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2013, 11:36 PM   #41
Thunder_Chicken
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 657 Times on 461 Posts
Likes Given: 178

Hmmm...maybe a longer boil preciptates out more break proteins? Bran also has a lot of oil that might make the brew subject to going rancid. I've read that heat treatments can postpone/eliminate this. Maybe this is what is going on?

Really interesting. Nice job of approaching this systematically.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2013, 03:19 PM   #42
stonecutter2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Just checking in on my observations. The 1 hour boil batch is still bubbling ever so slightly - so it has surpassed the "day week" timeframe of Washington's recipe twice over. It was estimated at about 6% abv, though, so that might explain the lengthier fermentation. So, I'm letting it do its thing. I don't want to bottle it while still fermenting, only to end up with weirdly carbonated small beer, or bottle bombs. The trub on the bottom is very fluffy looking.

The trub on the bottom of the 3 hour boil is not fluffy at all so far. At one week's time, it is the thickness of the trub of the 1 hour boil that has been fermenting for 2 weeks (just not fluffy). I'm rather surprised how much has fallen out of suspension in so little time! The color is now nearly identical to the 1 hour boil batch. The fermentation is slowing quite a bit, and at day 4 in the fermenter, I think it will actually wrap up here in the next few days. The bubbles are getting smaller and the krausen is receding.

Based strictly on the progression of fermentation, something different is certainly going on between these two batches. Whatever that "fluff" is, it seems to have been broken down by the 3 hour boil.

Primary: JAOM, GW Small Beer v3
Secondary:
Bottled: 15 Minute Cascade Pale Ale, Cream of 3 Crops, George Washington's Small Beer, Sam Adams Holiday Porter Clone
TO DO/BREW: Spruce Beer

Old 10-16-2013, 10:17 PM   #43
Thunder_Chicken
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter2 View Post
Based strictly on the progression of fermentation, something different is certainly going on between these two batches. Whatever that "fluff" is, it seems to have been broken down by the 3 hour boil.
Can you post any pictures of the fermenters? I'm really curious. This sounds really interesting.

Old 10-17-2013, 05:30 PM   #44
stonecutter2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder_Chicken View Post
Can you post any pictures of the fermenters? I'm really curious. This sounds really interesting.
Snapped some pics last night, so they're on my phone. I'll post them up tonight when i get home.

The 1 hour boil batch has finally stopped bubbling. So, I intend to bottle tonight. The 3 hour boil batch has slowed to very tiny bubbles, I think it'll be ready for bottling within the week timeframe GW stated.

Secondary:
Bottled: 15 Minute Cascade Pale Ale, Cream of 3 Crops, George Washington's Small Beer, Sam Adams Holiday Porter Clone

Old 10-19-2013, 03:22 AM   #45
stonecutter2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

All righty, got the 1 hour boil batch bottled (and for an experiment, I put a fizz drop in 2 bottles just to see how it is!)

Here's the 1 hour boil:

And the 3 hour boil:

See how different the trub is? The 1 hour looks very yellow and fluffy. The 3 hour boil looks like other ales I've brewed.

Secondary:

Old 10-19-2013, 03:29 AM   #46
stonecutter2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Tasting Notes:

Really had no idea what to expect with this one.

First sip impression - slightly fruity (interesting?), hint of spice, and a little starchy. The fruit taste is almost grape-like. Body is somewhat full. Not a dramatically bitter brew, this is relatively balanced fresh out of the fermenter. Reminds me very much of a hefeweizen but sweeter.

Aroma: wheat and yeast, a hint of hops.

OG = 1.047
FG = 1.003
ABV = 5.78%, not a "small beer" but it has a bit of a punch!

This turned out to be a pretty tasty beer, actually! But not a "small beer." I have a feeling the 3 hour boil might represent the style a little closer.

I am definitely happy with how this turned out. Looking forward to trying it as it develops. Can't wait to see how the carbonated bottles come out either!

Secondary:

Old 10-19-2013, 04:05 AM   #47
Thunder_Chicken
Recipes 

Sounds really good. It's surprising how that starchy wheat bran brew wants to finish dry. I'm curious to see if your brew clears.

I noticed that hop bittering was not very noticeable when the beer was warm (~ room temperature) but really was noticeable when chilled.

Old 10-23-2013, 03:39 AM   #48
stonecutter2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Had a chilled bottle tonight, the bittering was more noticeable but still balanced by my 10 minute addition. I'm liking the sweet aspect of this brew so far. I think the Liberty hops work very well in this recipe.

The bottles are clearing slowly, too!

Secondary:

Thunder_Chicken Likes This 
Old 10-24-2013, 10:51 PM   #49
Thunder_Chicken
Recipes 

The bittering is definitely more noticeable when chilled. The bitterness in my first attempt with Magnum served at refrigerator temperatures almost knocked me down.

Back in the day the beer was probably drunk at a cool cellar temp, not necessarily ice cold. Even if it came out of the ice house it had to get hauled across the yard, etc.. so probably didn't make it to the cup ice cold. The slight bit of warmth brings the sweetness out.

I've been flat out at work and haven't been able to brew, but I am hoping to this weekend. I hope to try a gallon batch of this again in the next few weeks.

Old 10-28-2013, 02:38 AM   #50
stonecutter2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Bottled the 3 hour batch this morning. It finished at 1.003, yielding 4.07% ABV - perfect!

This brew is very well balanced. Very easy to drink, light wheat flavor with a good hint of hops that is well balanced between bitter and flavor/aroma! Less pronounced "fruity" dryness, and not nearly as starchy.

I would definitely prefer the 3 hour boil to the 1 hour, but 1 hour is "good enough" to taste this interesting piece of history from George Washington!

One nice side effect of the 3 hour boil is less of that fluffy trub in the fermenter and bottle.

Secondary:

Quick Reply