Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Specialty Beer > Extract - Dog Fish Head - Midas Touch

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2011, 10:28 AM   #81
Xcorpia
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

It's been 2 weeks since I bottled it. I tried one last night. Tasty, but still flat...I know the yeast must be having a hard time fermenting the priming sugar with all that alcohol. Maybe I should have re-pitched some fresh yeast before bottling it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2011, 06:39 PM   #82
chrismcnally
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

I also brewed a Midas Touch clone but from a recipe you can find online at BYO magaine. Here is a link to my 4.5 gallon version. Please note that instead of sugar in this recipe you should use 23 fluid oz or 2 lbs of Alexander's Muscat Grape Concentrate:

http://hopville.com/recipe/362422/home-brew/midas-touch-w-muscat-grape-45-gal

I used the Trappist High Gravity yeast, which I think did fine in my bottle carbonation, thought it took a while, more than 2 weeks, closer to 4. I did add a gram of champagne yeast at bottling, however I think it was probably too old to have done any good. I bottle primed with honey, 4.5 oz by weight. According to my notes I only bottled about 3.5 gallons.

Early results are that the thing is very wine like and still too young tasting. I think the grape flavor, or chardonnay like flavor, is too strong and needs to mellow. On the other hand, I still love it. I served it at Thanksgiving and Christmas, but I don't expect it to be really ready until March.

I purchased a DFH Midas Touch bottle and stored it with my homebrew and will taste both soon to see how it compares. I'll let you guys know.

Old 02-27-2011, 01:20 AM   #83
Xcorpia
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

4 weeks?!?!?! Let's see if I can wait some more. I like instant gratification .

Old 02-27-2011, 01:33 AM   #84
Native302
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 6

This is a great brew. Visit Milton and tour the brewery and get to sample the 60, 90, 120, midas, fort, bitches brew, etc for free.

It does need time to age as most of their stuff does.

Just buy a small swimming pool, throw everything in and mash it. Then open ferment in another swimming pool with all the yeast.

Old 02-27-2011, 02:12 AM   #85
chrismcnally
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

OK so tonight I compared a DFH Midas Touch with my recipe, with the Trappist High gravity yeast and all grain. It is now about 5 months after the brew day.

color. The DFH is almost orange, while mine was yellow.

aroma. The DFH was aged a couple of months. It had a nice honeysuckle aroma. was it from the saffron? type of grape? or Honey? Unknown. Mine was, I think apple blossom honey. Might use wildflower honey next time. The aromas were very different. Mine has a bit of a musky scent which I think is the yeast.

I would def cut back on the muscat grape concentrate. 2 lbs for the 4.5 gallon recipe was to much.

Mine had a bit of a musty flavor from the trappist hight gravity yeast, or at least the way I fermented that yeast. Perhaps 70 degrees was too high. I think the DFH had a clean flavor that comes from a different yeast.

Flavor: The DFH is sweeter. There is some alc on the end. The one I have is too grape like, a little chardonnay like. Not sweet though, not at all, very dry.

I like my brew, but I think it's more of a new wine flavor. I think the DFH is better, has a nice clean taste and a superior, blended flavor and aroma.

Old 02-27-2011, 12:30 PM   #86
jerzeedevil13
Recipes 

Interesting recipe. I saw this one awhile back and kinda put it on the back burner but might have to give this a shot just to have something with a high ABV% for the summer.

As far as the Saffron, as I was re-reading this thread it does add certain characteristics. Some people mention that they didn't notice or taste it but it does make a difference.
From Wiki
"Saffron's aroma is often described by connoisseurs as reminiscent of metallic honey with grassy or hay-like notes, while its taste has also been noted as hay-like and sweet. Saffron also contributes a luminous yellow-orange colouring to foods."

If you add too much it will definitely affect the color, more yellow the more you add.
My sister in-law was on a business trip to India and snuck some high grade saffron back to the states. I've been using it mostly in risottos, the taste is very subtle but you do notice if you make a rissoto without it. Besides the thread which is the best type it also comes in powder form. The price range I've been reading about is probably the type and grade of saffron you guys are buying. The quality of saffron probably makes a much bigger difference when you are cooking with it rather than brewing so I would go with the cheaper versions. As far as the beer, you might not notice any flavor from it because the hops will overpower it but to be true to the recipe I think you have to put it in there.

Putting this on my "things I wanna brew" list.

Old 02-28-2011, 07:23 PM   #87
millaj92
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

The (real) expensive stuff is from a plant called the saffron crocus. The cheaper stuff, while it appears to be the same, is actually from the safflower plant. This is why they have very different characteristics. For anyone shopping for this spice, online is the way to go for saving money. Buy only from a reputable spice purveyor and I personally would recommend Spanish saffron for quality reasons.

Old 02-28-2011, 07:47 PM   #88
bknifefight
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcorpia View Post
4 weeks?!?!?! Let's see if I can wait some more. I like instant gratification .
You might want to stay away from high gravity brews then. I think my batch of this took 6 - 8 weeks before I was happy with the carbonation and longer than that before I thought it hit it's peak.

Old 03-01-2011, 03:25 AM   #89
Xcorpia
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bknifefight View Post
You might want to stay away from high gravity brews then. I think my batch of this took 6 - 8 weeks before I was happy with the carbonation and longer than that before I thought it hit it's peak.
I guess I'll have to learn the virtue of patience because I love high gravity beer . I'm thinking about Aprihop and 90 Minute IPA next. Still deciding which order...

Anyhow, I have some lighter beer in different stages to help me forget about the stronger ones that take longer to be in a drinkable state.

Old 03-03-2011, 01:50 AM   #90
Xcorpia
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'm drinking a 20 oz bottle of this even though it's still under-carbed. Gotta tell you this is one tasty brew. I am feeling a little woozy though thanks to the high alcohol%. So anyway, I was writing this to make a confession: This was the very first beer I've brewed, except for one Mr. Beer batch, but that doesn't count. The next confession is I've never actually tried the original DFH Midas Touch before. I really don't know if I should, since I like the one I brewed so much.

Cheers!

Quick Reply